Reply
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

If you're running DD-WRT, you just need the .bin file. If you're on Netgear stock, you'll first need the .chk file, flash it, reboot and then from the DD-WRT GUI, flash the .bin file.
Message 351 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

Tomato Shibby v127 released. Supposedly fixes ping issues in older Shibby releases. I'm going to give it a go tonight and see how it performs!
Message 352 of 501
Highlighted

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

shibby wrote:
* RELEASE* Tomato-ARM v127 is now available.
Please read changelog first.

**IMPORTANT** – Netgear`s users has to erase NVRAM and set all settings manually or run commands from HERE before Tomato upgrade..


Seems that most of the significant issues with Tomato for R7000 have been resolved. Smiley Happy

http://tomato.groov.pl/

Thanks to @Shibby, @tvlz, @Fab Five Freddy, @xu kai, @Yongqiang Qin ) for helping bring Tomato ARM along !!! Much appreciated!!! Smiley Happy
Message 353 of 501
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

If you're thinking about using tomato ARM firmware, Shibby just made v127 available. I haven't tried it yet, since I have other people using the internet *smile*, but the R7000 random ping time problem should be fixed.
Message 354 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

For anyone interested, Shibby has released Tomato ARM 127 for this router.
Message 355 of 501
Virtuoso

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

Having tried the new Shibby v127 tomato ARM, it's like different firmware. No random ping time problem, the lights on the router are working, and lots of stuff has started working that wasn't before. Even the 5GHz. wireless seems stronger than it was and reboots take a little less time. Functioning well here.

Time will tell how this holds up, but if you've been waiting to try it, now's a good time *smile*.
Message 356 of 501
Highlighted

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

Which one do you download AIO or VPN? Also I am currently using 26160M and its running rock solid, if anyone wants to try moving to DDR WRT.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40904519/dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD_r26160M.bin
Message 357 of 501
Highlighted

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

Playing with 127 tonight. Getting lags and stalls. Had to manually assign eth1 to the LAN otherwise 2.4 ghz didn't work.

The symptom I had which illustrated the ping issue was the lags and stalls.

I'm not ready to say the ping issue has been solved. The 2.4 ghz manually needing assigned is also not exactly positive.

If these don't improve will be going back to Netgear's Trylan2 beta.
Message 358 of 501
Highlighted

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

jsmiddleton4 wrote:
Playing with 127 tonight. Getting lags and stalls. Had to manually assign eth1 to the LAN otherwise 2.4 ghz didn't work.

The symptom I had which illustrated the ping issue was the lags and stalls.

I'm not ready to say the ping issue has been solved. The 2.4 ghz manually needing assigned is also not exactly positive.

If these don't improve will be going back to Netgear's Trylan2 beta.


May i ask where i can get the netgear's trylan 2 beta?
Message 359 of 501
Highlighted

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

You'll have to do a little searching here. Not the kind of thing I can post. It used to be on Netgear's now empty FTP site. A few folks have it posted at file share places.

Based on the numbering scheme it is numbered in a way that makes it appear newer than even the currently released FW. That is pure speculation however.

For me it has been the best FW for the R7000. I keep watching for an official release that is an extension of it. I'm not sure the current one is.

I really wanted Shibby's 127 to work well. For me not the case.
Message 360 of 501
Highlighted

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

There is also Advanced Tomato v1.27 which is based on Shibby but has a new HTML5 interface.

http://linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/advancedtomato-v2-gui-based-on-shibbys-mod.70254/page-3

https://advancedtomato.com/
Message 361 of 501
Highlighted

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

Some others now reporting ping issues still with newest 127 Shibby version. Some other issues with QOS as well, L7 filters, stuff like that.

Really wanted this thing to work this time. I prefer Tomato's interface.
Message 362 of 501
Highlighted

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

jsmiddleton4 wrote:
You'll have to do a little searching here. Not the kind of thing I can post. It used to be on Netgear's now empty FTP site. A few folks have it posted at file share places.

Based on the numbering scheme it is numbered in a way that makes it appear newer than even the currently released FW. That is pure speculation however.

For me it has been the best FW for the R7000. I keep watching for an official release that is an extension of it. I'm not sure the current one is.

I really wanted Shibby's 127 to work well. For me not the case.


I tried looking but cant seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated it. I have also sent you an PM To.

I tried using shibby's 127 but it wasnt that great for wifi performance.
Message 363 of 501
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

PainKiller89 wrote:

I tried using shibby's 127 but it wasnt that great for wifi performance.


Been using v127 a few days now, wireless looks good here. Not outstanding, but just fine, right up there with the other routers and firmware that I currently have. Don't know how long I'll stay on it, I tend to jiggle things around as new firmware releases come out (Shibby says that v128 is coming *smile*), but I do like the tomato web interface. Especially now that it has taken a quantum jump in how much of it is working since the last tomato ARM release.
Message 364 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

Tomato is slower than both DD-WRT and Stock, in my experience.

However, if you're living in Europe, you can try to use the EU/66 regulatory domain instead of the DE/0 one.

Just type "wl -i eth1 country EU/66" into the telnet shell and it will apply it until you mess around in the GUI.

This works in both Tomato and DD-WRT, but it really only helps on DD-WRT (Stock already uses EU/66)
Message 365 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

delaveganz wrote:
There is also Advanced Tomato v1.27 which is based on Shibby but has a new HTML5 interface.

http://linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/advancedtomato-v2-gui-based-on-shibbys-mod.70254/page-3

https://advancedtomato.com/


Help needed ..... files and instructions please ...

I have this installed on my R7000, but I would like to go back to the stock firmware and I can not find info on how to do this, can anyone help please.

1.28.0000 -2.6-127 K26ARM USB AIO-64K <<< installed on my router, but I want to go back to stock Netgear R7000 firmware.
Message 366 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

CladMaster wrote:
Help needed ..... files and instructions please ... I have this installed on my R7000, but I would like to go back to the stock firmware and I can not find info on how to do this, can anyone help please. 1.28.0000 -2.6-127 K26ARM USB AIO-64K <<< installed on my router, but I want to go back to stock Netgear R7000 firmware.
Well, I found the way to do this, what a pain in the backside too. I am now back up and running with stock firmware. For those that don't know how .... 1/ Download this file > R7000-back-to-ofw.trx from the net (do a search for it) 2/ Erase the NVRAM in the router's software (wait for it to reboot) ... Note: Reset button on the router does not work with AdvanceTomatoUSB 3/ Flash router with the above named file and wait for router to reboot 4/ Flash router with whatever firmware you want from Netgear's site. 5/ Upload backup config file if you saved settings before flashing with NON-Netgear firmware. (Side note: This approval thing with posts on this site are also a pain in the backside, this needs to be removed so that users of this site can edit and / or post extra data and not have to wait for the post to be vetted.)
Message 367 of 501
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

CladMaster wrote:
(Side note: This approval thing with posts on this site are also a pain in the backside, this needs to be removed so that users of this site can edit and / or post extra data and not have to wait for the post to be vetted.)


Plans for change are significant and very advanced, but not yet ready. Rather than ‘filling the cracks’ substantial changes will be made but this will take a few more months to configure/test/reconfigure/retest/implement.

Netgear are listening and taking action.
____________________________
Working on behalf of Netgear
My name is Andy
Message 368 of 501
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

Shibby v128 is out now. Working well so far *smile*.
Message 369 of 501
Highlighted

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

I'm going to wait on this one. It is a lot of work to switch, it has "issues" and then go back to Netgear's FW.
Message 370 of 501
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

jsmiddleton4,

v128 up for almost a day here (not that long, I realize *smile*), no issues. But you've had issues before when I haven't, so I'm guessing that you may well have some client device incompatibility. Maybe client wireless driver updates all around might help? Just a guess, you might have already gone there.
Message 371 of 501
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

RogerSC wrote:
jsmiddleton4,

v128 up for almost a day here (not that long, I realize *smile*), no issues. But you've had issues before when I haven't, so I'm guessing that you may well have some client device incompatibility. Maybe client wireless driver updates all around might help? Just a guess, you might have already gone there.


How're wifi performances? I mean throughput .
Thanks
- Modem Draytek Vigor 130
- Firewall/Router pfSense 2.3.1 (Supermicro A1SRi-2558)
- AP Netgear R7000 (Stock FW)
- Switch Cisco SG350-10
- HTPC Intel NUC5i3RYH
- NAS Synology DS1515+(5x5TB)
- NAS Synology DS213+ (2x3TB)
- Laptop AlienWare M17R2
Message 372 of 501
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

Wolf_666 wrote:
How're wifi performances? I mean throughput .
Thanks


No throughput measurements yet, but I'm getting my full ISP speeds on wifi. And bringing up web sites (which I do a lot of *smile*) is quick and crisp. Very happy with the general level of performance, no problems, very useful.

Not sure when I'll have time to do actual throughput measurements, though, too much going on.
Message 373 of 501
Highlighted

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

Just like with each version before users are reporting issues. Its like fix one, break another.

I'm not dissing Shibby. This is a massive undertaking. Its just that using a FW that is for all intentional purposes beta doesn't cut it when I work at home, kids use the internet for college classes, etc.

I'm sticking with the trylan2 until Netgear releases its next FW.
Message 374 of 501
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

I really don't care what firmware you use, that's up to you. I posted to point out that tomato ARM is now a viable alternative, and is working well for me. You should use whatever works for you, that's what I do *smile*. If anyone other than you is looking for alternative firmware to try, Shibby v128, again, is working well for me, and is worth looking at.
Message 375 of 501
Top Contributors
Announcements