Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

finalstage
Novice

One of the biggest issues I've had is upgrading to the most recent firmware. It literally kills all internet connection. I've tried numerous times, resetting everything to factory, messing with various qos settings, wireless settings. Nothing works. It just has no download and no upload.

Going back to the older firmware versions gets me back to proper speeds, until I play a streaming video. Then I get into the dead internet/reboot cycles.

Honestly, I'm going to give this a hard try this weekend. If things don't work out, I'm just going to sell it or throw it into the bin. Not worth all the ridiculous hoops I have to jump through.
Message 401 of 501
swaaye
Novice

I'm running the current Netgear firmware and I stream video through wireless and wired devices daily. I also stream video off of a USB drive attached to the R7000. It's rock solid.

I suspect it's either having a problem with your modem or you have a defective R7000 unit.
Message 402 of 501
finalstage
Novice

So far, I have a brand new SB6183 that provides really solid performance when directly connected. It doesn't have much in terms of interface or settings. It's pretty much a plug and go modem. I just installed the DD-WRT 26500M build. So far, streaming is working great, but my speeds are slow. I guess I need to go into the config and play around a bit. If I still see the same problems, then yes, I will agree that I have a defective unit. Currently on TWC 300Mbps down 20 up. Only getting 50 down on 2.4 and 80 on 5ghz. I guess I'll keep testing for now.
Message 403 of 501
JAMESMTL
Novice

I'm a big Kong fan but would suggest looking at BS DD-WRT v26635 as it has changes to the network stack to optimize load over both cores. Been testing for the past 9 days and it has been rock solid. Even with older versions of DD-WRT you should be getting much better speeds than you are. I know it can hit 300 Mbps.

There is a newer version but haven't tested it as I'm going to hold off for the next Kong version.
Message 404 of 501
joedan
Novice

Running 36587 BS Ddwrt build which has Kong fixes in it anyway. 7 days uptime 39 devices connected including running Yamon 2.0 device stats monitoring on top. Loving it no issues. Running qos on it which is brilliant allowing my son to run 50ms counter strike global offensive while 2 daughters are watching Netflix on a 9mbit adsl 2 connection. No problems whatsoever. http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=279467
Message 405 of 501
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

Been playing with the Advanced Tomato based on Shibby's 128 version. Installed yesterday. So far so good. No ping issues as noted with Shibby's previous versions.
Message 406 of 501
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

"changes to the network stack to optimize load over both cores"

Interesting. I didn't think the cores were all that involved with LAN traffic.

Also wondering if my favorite Netgear FW version, the TryLan2 one, if that's what Netgear did as well. Cause it works well and LAN traffic quite fast.
Message 407 of 501
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

Had a couple of stalls and lags this morning. Couldn't get into the router in snappy usual fashion. These are the symptoms I've had before with Shibby's when the longer ping thing was present.

As before a reboot stopped the symptom.

Might be going back to Netgear's Lan2 FW.

Dang.
Message 408 of 501
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

I'm not a programmer but this ping thing, stall and lag thing, feels to me like some kind of memory leak, something that is grabbing CPU cycles in a way that the CPU is "busy" doing something else.

As a result there are higher pings, stalls, lags, etc.

Boot and it clears whatever that is and we start over.

I do not think it is a wireless driver issue.
Message 409 of 501
JAMESMTL
Novice

@jsmiddleton4

The CPU is not involved in direct LAN to LAN traffic (Ethernet ports) as that is handled by the switch chip. It is involved in LAN to WLAN traffic and LAN to WAN traffic. Newer routers have separate CPUs dedicated to WLAN leaving the primary CPU free for other tasks.
Message 410 of 501
ggp759
Aspirant

JAMESMTL wrote:
I'm a big Kong fan but would suggest looking at BS DD-WRT v26635 as it has changes to the network stack to optimize load over both cores. Been testing for the past 9 days and it has been rock solid. Even with older versions of DD-WRT you should be getting much better speeds than you are. I know it can hit 300 Mbps.

There is a newer version but haven't tested it as I'm going to hold off for the next Kong version.

Can you please point to this version and tell me how to install it? thanks so much in advance.
Message 411 of 501
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

That's my understanding as well. But folks are reporting increased LAN traffic speed/data throughput with this sharing the load thing in latest DD-WRT.

At least that's the way it reads.

"changes to the network stack to optimize load over both cores"
Message 412 of 501
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

Back to Netgear's for me. Something is just not right with Shibby's. Same can be said for DDWRT.
Message 413 of 501
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

I had similar experience as before with Shibby's Tomato. Works great, fast, snappy. Use it for awhile it becomes slower and slower, see the ping issue as a symptom. But also have painfully long time to log into the router.

The CPU is clearly busy doing something.

Log in and boot, power off boot, any kind of boot and the router returns to its normal snappy fast performing self.

Use it for awhile, repeat the cycle.

I do not have this problem with Netgear's FW.

Something is just not right with these 3rd party FW's. I know, rocket scientist.
Message 414 of 501
ggp759
Aspirant

ggp759 wrote:
Can you please point to this version and tell me how to install it? thanks so much in advance.

Anyone can help please?
Message 415 of 501
RogerSC
Virtuoso

BrainSlayer build 26635 is here:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/04-01-2015-r26635/netgear-r7000/

As far as how to install it, I'd suggest that you do some reading in the dd-wrt forum, since there's lots of information there about configuring dd-wrt on the R7000 as well. But the basic idea is to flash the .chk image if you're starting with stock Netgear, and the .bin image if you're starting with dd-wrt. You'll want to do a reset to factory defaults after flashing, stock and dd-wrt have different structure and defaults.

I really would do some reading before flashing, so that you know what you're getting into, and how to configure dd-wrt. It isn't difficult, but there is a learning curve.

And if you have questions after flashing it, you're going to want to ask them in the dd-wrt forum.
Message 416 of 501
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

I'm back to Netgear's TryLan2 FW. XVortex's RMerlin's port is close, so very close but it has a few issues. I kept losing settings and had to reapply. I kept dropping the attached USB3 device. Can't have either in my environment.

It is very fast, wireless is quite good. No stalls, lags, etc., as I had with Shibby's. Not overly complicated like DD-WRT.

Needs a few more go rounds and if the little things get addressed seems to me XVortex's port would be THE one to use on the R7000's. Its that good.
Message 417 of 501
bill1228
Guide

jsmiddleton4, Have not had the issues you describe. I have not attached anything to the USB3 port with the Merlin firmware but did with DD-WRT. However, I now have a NAS so do not need the 1TB USB3 drive connected to the router. Have searched and searched for Netgear's TryLan2 FW but have not found it. Should have downloaded when I could. But was still new to Netgear and at that time they were not taking that site down so did not download. As I understand from forums this seems to be one of the better firmware from Netgear. --bill
R7000 Firmware XVortex Merlin Port.

Everyone has a right to be stupid once in awhile. Yet some just abuse the privilege.
Message 418 of 501
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

The exact name is here. I know it can be found.

This morning XVortex's had lost the WAN information and I had to reconfigure it. Which is fine for playing around but I can't be playing with this my main router.

Also having to configure the VPN stuff even though added to the DMZ was concerning. My company's IT guys, as one would imagine, are very clear about how stuff needs to be setup. They do not of course want any home router in the mix hence the DMZ setting.

I'll keep watching it though. It just might be the FW most of us are waiting for.
Message 419 of 501
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

R7000-V1.0.4.5_20140912_Lan_Try2
Message 420 of 501
bill1228
Guide

jsmiddleton4 wrote:
My company's IT guys, as one would imagine, are very clear about how stuff needs to be setup. They do not of course want any home router in the mix hence the DMZ setting.

I'll keep watching it though. It just might be the FW most of us are waiting for.

I understand about the IT guys. Before I retired a year ago I would have been on of them telling folks how to connect and what was expected. Worked on the network side of the house.
Thanks for the info about the file name.

--bill
R7000 Firmware XVortex Merlin Port.

Everyone has a right to be stupid once in awhile. Yet some just abuse the privilege.
Message 421 of 501
RogerSC
Virtuoso

bill1228 wrote:

Have searched and searched for Netgear's TryLan2 FW but have not found it. Should have downloaded when I could.
--bill

Check your PM's.
Message 422 of 501
claykin
Aspirant

RogerSC wrote:
Check your PM's.

Hi. I'd appreciate it if you could send me the same PM. 🙂 Thanks.
Message 423 of 501
bartm
Tutor

Does trylan have vlan option? If so i'm interested as well 😊
Message 424 of 501
Negaiido
Aspirant

Message 425 of 501
Top Contributors
Announcements