Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

Negaiido,

Thanks for that, didn't see it until I saw it here *smile*. Nice to have the URL's, too.
Message 426 of 501
Highlighted

Hard to tell exactly but it looks like Shibby had to recompile the Netgear versions to get the choice for which USB driver one wants to use in place....
Message 427 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thinking of flushing my DDWRT back to Netgear FW. Anyone know the username and password? Will it be some default or use back the DDRT?
Message 428 of 501
Highlighted
Virtuoso

addats wrote:
Thinking of flushing my DDWRT back to Netgear FW. Anyone know the username and password? Will it be some default or use back the DDRT?

When you flash back to stock from dd-wrt, you'll need to reset your router to factory defaults. So yes, your web admin GUI user name/password ("admin"/"password") will be the default for stock firmware for this router.

All easy stuff, though *smile*.
Message 429 of 501
Highlighted
Guide

I assume you are using Brainslayer's back to Netgear firmware. In that case you will have Netgear firmware installed with the default user and PW. Do a reset of course and then you can load any version on Netgear you want.
--bill
R7000 Firmware XVortex Merlin Port.

Everyone has a right to be stupid once in awhile. Yet some just abuse the privilege.
Message 430 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

I just went from stock fw to XVortex's Merlin Port for the R7000 and I have to say the setup/features/ui are excellent. I'm excited to benchmark it this weekend after I rebuild my Debian server to Jessie!
Message 431 of 501
Highlighted
Guide

@decompiled
Yup, I went to XVortex's firmware when it first came out. Have not had any issues with it and wireless range seem to have improved. I had been using DD-WRT which has issues.
If you missed his note about transmit power, he suggests 50% or less. I am at 50% on both bands and works great. I do not do any QOS or VPN so do not know about those.
I have liked the interface since I had a rt-n66u Asus router with RMerin's firmware. That was the one big thing I missed when I went to the r7000, which had better reviews at the time of purchase.
--bill

Everyone has a right to be stupid once in awhile. Yet some just abuse the privilege.
Message 432 of 501
Highlighted

Yep, its a good one alright.
Message 433 of 501
Highlighted

Trying XVortex's latest. It is doing quite well. None of the major issues I had with the earlier release. Will be testing the laptop with the ralink chipset later today.
Message 434 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

Some initial iperf tcp testing in my network over the r7000 using Merlin FW.

1 Gbps -> 1 Gbps client to client 684 Mbps
2.4 Ghz Intel 5100 agn -> 1 Gbps 26 Mbps
5.0 Ghz Samsung S4 -> 1 Gbps 183 Mbps
Message 435 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

jsmiddleton4 wrote:
Trying XVortex's latest. It is doing quite well. None of the major issues I had with the earlier release. Will be testing the laptop with the ralink chipset later today.

If am on ddwrt right now can i flash this over it or do i have to go back to netgear stock? thanks
Message 436 of 501
Highlighted

Would just make sure you go back to defaults before flashing. There's two files, one ending in CHK one in TRX for people coming from different FW's.

There's a document with the FW's for the steps.
Message 437 of 501
Highlighted

The problem I was having with a laptop which uses the ralink chipset is not present with XVortex's RMerlin port. Able to reliably connect at 150.
Message 438 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

Cannot download the Xvortex FW. Not sure if the link is down or something
Message 439 of 501
Highlighted
Virtuoso

addats wrote:
Cannot download the Xvortex FW. Not sure if the link is down or something

Try this forum:

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/asuswrt-merlin-on-netgear-r7000.71108/

Don't know where you're located, but sometimes download pages don't work from some countries, and you have to use an alternate download page. The link was working earlier yesterday for me, so you might ask on the above forum and see what's up.
Message 440 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

That is the one I try. Will try again at home. i am base in singapore
Message 441 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hey,

Just wanted to pass along a weird issue i ran into with Shibby Tomato. My DNS resolution times spiked to absurd highs. I erased the nvram throughly, reflashed etc., it didn't resolve the issue.

Speculating: I was running into some similar resolution issues on Xvortex, coming from stock to .53 version. I suspect that something wasn't working properly on Xvortex, I flashed down to stock as per Xvortex's instructions. I don't recall if I upgraded to the latest Netgear firmware, but I did migrate over to Shibby though that standard upgrade process (Initial firmware upgrade to the latest, 1.29 build). I did two erase nvram through from within the GUI, but the issues were still there. This was with the DNS's set as OpenDns and Comcast.

Anyway, just something I ran into. Rolling back to stock resolved the issue. So if you run into resolution issues or slow speeds, this resolved the issue for me.
I do have an open post out on Tomato's forums so who knows what will come up.

I hope this saves someone some time or hassle.

-J
Message 442 of 501
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Johnathonm, I've used both the latest tomato ARM and am now using RMerlin/R7000, and haven't had DNS problems (delays) with either. I wonder what's going on there. How long did you use them before these problems came up? Also wondering if you tried OpenDNS as an alternative when your DNS times spiked up? Or the google public DNS? If that had changed the delay, then you might be experiencing something weird with your ISP, just a thought.
Message 443 of 501
Highlighted
Master

I'm also running the latest .53 XVortex. No DNS delays here (I use Google DNS)
Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.80SF
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400
Message 444 of 501
Highlighted
Luminary
Luminary

does any one here know when they will include a url blocker in the tomato shibby firmware it doesnt have 1

also i tried that new asus fw but if u enter a dns in the ipv6 section if ur lucky it will only not let u log into the router anymore if ur unlucky it will not let u log in and no internet either so u have to reset it Smiley Sad

so im back on the old netgear V1.0.3.80-1.1.38 until theres new fw or they fix the asus tomato or the shibby tomato Smiley Sad
Message 445 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

RogerSC, Tomato 1.29 or Merlin .53? What is the best ?
Message 446 of 501
Highlighted
Virtuoso

legal1823, I'm liking tomato ARM (Shibby v129) better than XVortex RMerlin/R7000 personally, since IPv6 works great on tomato on the R7000, but not on XVortex. Both work well on the R7000, though. That's just me, I want to use and support firmware releases that have working IPv6 to encourage firmware authors to go there.

If you don't care about IPv6, then I'd just try both and stay with the one that works best for you.
Message 447 of 501
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Kong's dd-wrt build 26970M build is working well for me at the moment. Great wireless.
Message 448 of 501
Highlighted
Guide

@RogerSC Seems like you like them all. Smiley Happy My wife would not be happy with network going down for me playing with a new firmware load all the time. It is good having people like yourself testing so we have reports of the good and bad of each from someone who has used them all and that I respect. I personally like XWRT from XVortrex on my r7000, but I do not need IPv6 support. Don't think my r7000 has ever operated as good in my environment as it does now. Have run Kong DD-WRT and Shibby Tomato on it as well but for now it's XWRT and leave it setting on the self not being played with. I like stable, so wife is happy. As old saying "Happy wife happy life". --bill

Message 449 of 501
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Bill, I agree, keeping the family happy is very important *smile*. A nice, peaceful home is key to inner serenity. Yes, I do like to try the new fimware and firmware versions, and enjoy playing with them. There have been releases that I don't like, mostly those by the router manufacturers, which seem to be wanting in most respects. If I like the style of some firmware, I'm more likely to give some slack when problems come up, and work with them.

The firmware done by manufacturers is clearly aimed at "appliance operators" or "lowest common denominator" users. So they don't provide opportunities for extension or the kind of monitoring that people that are actively managing a network are looking for. They don't even attempt to provide a two-level interface, where you can easily configure the firmware, but you can also try extensions if you feel you need them, or go into monitoring screens if a problem comes up.

So it goes...good firmware takes a good amount of thought in terms of feature configuration layout, and how to make the more interesting features integrate into the firmware in a way that you can ignore them if you don't need them. Manufacturers don't want to go there. Some used to try, but they've largely given up spending the time it takes.
Message 450 of 501
Top Contributors
Announcements