Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

RogerSC
Virtuoso

XVortex RMerlin/R7000 IPv6 doesn't seem to work for Comcast users. I haven't tried the latest, but don't see any changes that would lead me to believe that IPv6 would be any different for 378.54 than it was for 378.53. I'd try it, except I'm using Kong's dd-wrt 27085, which is working great for me.

Comcast seems to have several different implementations, their giant network is in no way "uniform". They have regional implementations, especially where they've taken over from another defunct ISP. So what doesn't work for one Comcast user may work for another.

Worth trying, though. Let us know what results you see, please *smile*.
Message 476 of 501
delaveganz
Guide

XVortex has just released a newer version XWRT for Netgear R7000 v378.54_2 🙂
Message 477 of 501
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks guys, for helping me, finding the right firmware, finally I've found some time to install XVORTEX Firmware, I think I like it very much, I like it very much, but when I enable Wireless MAC Filter, one my systems (a laptop) can't connect to the router!
When I disable the Wireless MAC Filter, it connects again, without any problem!
Is there anything I should consider? :confused:
Message 478 of 501
RogerSC
Virtuoso

williclarkam, just curious what you're using the Wireless MAC filter for? If it's for security, WPA2/AES with a strong password is about the best security you can get. Doing MAC filtering really doesn't help. So I'm curious what you're using the MAC filter for?
Message 479 of 501
bill1228
Guide

RogerSC wrote:
williclarkam, just curious what you're using the Wireless MAC filter for? If it's for security, WPA2/AES with a strong password is about the best security you can get. Doing MAC filtering really doesn't help. So I'm curious what you're using the MAC filter for?

I agree with Roger. MAC filtering is not a good or even fair way to block for security. MAC can be easily changed on client and easy to spoof a MAC.
So why are you wanting to use MAC filtering?
--bill
R7000 Firmware XVortex Merlin Port.

Everyone has a right to be stupid once in awhile. Yet some just abuse the privilege.
Message 480 of 501
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

When I used two routers in WDS mode I'd use MAC filtering to steer client traffic to particular routers so as to balance the load on wireless radios. Wasn't for security reasons. It worked very well for the purpose of steering traffic.
Message 481 of 501
Retired_Member
Not applicable

RogerSC wrote:

bill1228 wrote:
I agree with Roger. MAC filtering is not a good or even fair way to block for security. MAC can be easily changed on client and easy to spoof a MAC.
So why are you wanting to use MAC filtering?
--bill

Thank you guys for your reply, I greatly appreciate it.
Actually you guys are completely right but I don't use MAC Filtering for security reasons, unfortunately I live in a Country, where internet is very expensive (e.g. 50$ for 2mbps speed) , and it's not even unlimited (Like 5GB in a Month 😞 ), so when we have guest, I should somehow block their access to our internet, otherwise the do their downloads with our internet, I use this method, to tell them your device can't connect to my network because there is a problem with your phone, not with my internet/router 😄
This is the only method, that I know, which can block unauthorized access even with the right password given to them!

That is actually the reason, why I use MAC Filtering, and unfortunately I couldn't get it working with XVORTEX Firmware!
With TOMATO Firmware, it does work flawlessly, haven't had time to test it on the Stock Firmware.

Thanks
Message 482 of 501
bill1228
Guide

williclarkam wrote:
I use this method, to tell them your device can't connect to my network because there is a problem with your phone, not with my internet/router 😄

Love the way you control guests access. 😉 Give them the password, if asked, and then tell them must be a problem with their device.

I do not use MAC filtering so I cannot give you any guidance, but thanks for sharing a creative way to control guests.
--bill

Everyone has a right to be stupid once in awhile. Yet some just abuse the privilege.
Message 483 of 501
delaveganz
Guide

Shibby has just released version 130 of Tomato for Netgear R7000 at http://tomato.groov.pl/. There is an All-In-One and a VPN version 🙂
Message 484 of 501
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

It didn't work well for me. I've always had a stalling lagging problem which correlates with high pings too. Never have figured it out. I'm back to XVORTEX version.
Message 485 of 501
RogerSC
Virtuoso

The new Shibby v130 works fine for me...not sure what's going on at your place? Weird, man.

How long does it take before you see latency problems, or is it as soon as you flash?
Message 486 of 501
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Guys, could someone shed light on why people wanna use third party firmware? is there any particular reason, why use guys don't wanna use Netgear firmware?
In my opinion, Netgear Firmware is robust, and it's pretty stable!
XVORTEX firmware has some serious problems, for example when I enable MAC Filter and Hide my SSID, I can connect to the internet via 2.4GHz band but not via 5.0GHz band! :confused:
Message 487 of 501
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

"How long does it take before you see latency problems"

About 30 minutes in as two or three of us are surfing the web.

Reboot, fine for about the same amount of time. Then get pages not loading, just stuck. Quickly hit ping and have long ping time.

I can reproduce it each time.

Never see it with Netgear's FW or XVORTEX not the times I tried DD-WRT.

Why use 3rd party FW?

Easier to set up, more features, makes full use of the router's capability, most often updates more frequent, stuff like that.
Message 488 of 501
decompiled
Aspirant

williclarkam wrote:
Guys, could someone shed light on why people wanna use third party firmware? is there any particular reason, why use guys don't wanna use Netgear firmware?
In my opinion, Netgear Firmware is robust, and it's pretty stable!
XVORTEX firmware has some serious problems, for example when I enable MAC Filter and Hide my SSID, I can connect to the internet via 2.4GHz band but not via 5.0GHz band! :confused:

Development by netgear is very slow and they do not release the source code. There's no way to tell what included fixed changed etc. I prefer the transparency of open source especially when I can build the binaries myself.
Message 489 of 501
RogerSC
Virtuoso

williclarkam wrote:
:

Yes, Netgear stock firmware is fine. However, third party firmware is as well, and has these addtional features:

1. Extensible. You can add scripts and features to third-party firmware to do lots of useful and interesting things. Just read the dd-wrt, tomato, and RMerlin's forums if you want to get a taste of what can be done.

2. Monitoring capabilities built-in. You can easily telnet to your router's Linux OS and see what the OS is doing if you need to. You get a real log of system and network events to look at if there are problems. You can monitor traffic easily and graphically.

3. The general functionlity is more refined. For example client lists in third-party firmware are complete, and all clients can actually have names rather than being identified with "--" and/or their MAC addresses. For wireless clients, there's actually information about the strength, quality, and transfer rates that the router is seeing for each client.

4. The developers are much more responsive. If there are problems, they're likely to be addressed in a matter of days instead of months. And the developers themselves are available to answer questions. As always, some are more into responding quickly with an answer than others, but by and large developers are happy to answer questions that come up.

If your router use is to set it up and plug in cable, and you never look at your network to see what's going on, and never have problems, then stock firmware is great. If you do anything that's not vanilla and run into problems, you're going to have a really hard time with stock firmware in figuring out what's wrong. If you want to optimize your network, again, you're going to have a hard time with stock firmware.

It's definitely a personal choice. I came to Netgear firmware from RMerlin's firmware, and there was so much missing...just logs and useful client lists are a blessing for understanding what's going on in your network. I've not been able to get myself to use Netgear stock firmware for very long, it's basically a reference for me. I'll come back to it if something seems broken to see what happens with stock firmware. But for every day use, not me. Personally, I wouldn't buy a wireless router if there wasn't third-party firmware available.
Message 490 of 501
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thank you

RogerSC wrote:
Yes, Netgear stock firmware is fine. However, third party firmware is as well, and has these addtional features:

Wow very comprehensive, thanks a lot man, greatly appreciate it.

decompiled wrote:
Development by netgear is very slow and they do not release the source code. There's no way to tell what included fixed changed etc. I prefer the transparency of open source especially when I can build the binaries myself.

Yeah completely right, the development is very slow.
Thanks for your answer.

jsmiddleton4 wrote:

Why use 3rd party FW?
Easier to set up, more features, makes full use of the router's capability, most often updates more frequent, stuff like that.

Yeah, more features and frequently updates completely right.
Thanks.

------

Thank you very much guys, I switched to XVORTEX Firmware, and I find out how to setup Wireless MAC Filter + Static IP Address Assignment. I've configured the wireless settings so, that it reaches a very good speed. It's a really nice firmware.

Thanks again.
Message 491 of 501
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I've been using XVORTEX FW for some time now, like 5/6 days, and it's awesome, but sometimes I lost my internet connections, and after like 3/4 minutes it reconnects again, just wanted to know, if someone else has this issue too?

PS: I've attached one 3TB HDD and 4TB HDD to the router via 2 USB ports, could it be, these HDDs are the reason?

Thanks
Message 492 of 501
RogerSC
Virtuoso

You're more likely to get a response posting over in the linksysinfo.org forum:

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/asuswrt-merlin-on-netgear-r7000.71108/

I thought I saw you posting over there a while ago, though.
Message 493 of 501
skier150
Aspirant

Is there a link for the ddwrt fw? I have searched their site with no luck, as well as about 10 pages in this thread. Thanks!
Message 494 of 501
bill1228
Guide

skier150 wrote:
Is there a link for the ddwrt fw? I have searched their site with no luck, as well as about 10 pages in this thread. Thanks!

Latest Kong build, which is the best for the r7000, because Kong tests on the r7000 is here.

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/

If you are on Netgear firmware you need to flash the chk file first.
And of course to a reset before and after the flash.
--bill

Message 495 of 501
RogerSC
Virtuoso

skier150 wrote:
Is there a link for the ddwrt fw? I have searched their site with no luck, as well as about 10 pages in this thread.

Before trying the latest Kong firmware, you should first find and read the thread about it in the dd-wrt "Broadcom-based SOC" forum. Apparently some people have had problems with Kong's latest.
Message 496 of 501
bill1228
Guide

RogerSC wrote:
Before trying the latest Kong firmware, you should first find and read the thread about it in the dd-wrt "Broadcom-based SOC" forum. Apparently some people have had problems with Kong's latest.

Always good to check the forum for the firmware, be it DD-WRT, Tomato,XVortex (XWRT) or what ever firmware you are looking to install. Here is a link to the DD-WRT forum for the Broadcom based routers. Can find lots of info and also links to Brainslayer's builds if you want to go that way.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1

--bill

Message 497 of 501
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

Me I'm not touching DD-WRT any longer. Too many issues, way kong pulled out, trying to do too much for too many. Its like they push out a FW and let the "community" be their alpha testers. Not even beta level testers.

I guess that's fine if you have nothing better to do than be an alpha tester.

Not my cup of tea however.

Xvortex and Shibby, wish I could get that dang stall lag thing eliminated on Shibby's as I love Tomato.

But not messing with DD-WRT any more.

Xvortex top of the heap for third party. Hope they can get IPV6 working for everyone.
Message 498 of 501
skier150
Aspirant

jsmiddleton4 wrote:
Me I'm not touching DD-WRT any longer. Too many issues, way kong pulled out, trying to do too much for too many. Its like they push out a FW and let the "community" be their alpha testers. Not even beta level testers.

I guess that's fine if you have nothing better to do than be an alpha tester.

Not my cup of tea however.

Xvortex and Shibby, wish I could get that dang stall lag thing eliminated on Shibby's as I love Tomato.

But not messing with DD-WRT any more.

Xvortex top of the heap for third party. Hope they can get IPV6 working for everyone.

In the past I have messed with DD-WRT, TOMATO, GARGOYLE, and another one I can't think of at the moment. I have never kept them on for long, because they all had some kind of issue that prevented one or more features from properly working. I always ended up going back to the stock firmware. Of course none of those were perfect either. I really do not do anything out of the ordinary with my LAN, I just want the strongest signal with the best throughput. One thing I noticed with the 3rd party FW was that it usually gave less of a signal at a slower rate. It sounds like those type of results are still the norm with this stuff, huh...
Message 499 of 501
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

I suggest you try XVORTEX's.
Message 500 of 501
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E