Highlighted
Virtuoso

DD-WRT and other third party firmware

If you want to discuss DD-WRT or other third party firmware then post in this thread, but this is not an invite to be overly critical of Netgear firmware. Some people are posting this as a solution to problems in other threads, that’s not helpful in many cases and some of those posts have been removed. I don’t mind if someone in a thread is questioning a feature that the standard Netgear firmware does not support, and a reply is that DD-WRT does support it, but otherwise as a catch-all reply to any other types of issue it’s not an acceptable answer.

Discussion of third party firmware is allowed in these forums, but this should be limited to features / performance etc. Threads asking for advice regarding issues with third party firmware will be removed, these type of question are best directed to the relevant third party support / forums.

It seems that the spate of posts where people would reply to threads asking questions with the stock answer ‘switch to DD-WRT’ is long over, this was the reason why this thread was created.

Thankfully the majority (maybe all) of regular posters on this forum who are DD-WRT users (or other third party firmware) are very sensible in their discussion of DD-WRT.

So, I would like to say that if people want to split their discussions of third party firmware away from this single thread then please feel free to do so, but with the following restrictions.

• Please make the thread title clear to show that it’s a third party firmware discussion
• Do not post threads requesting support for third party firmware, though I accept that such discussion might creep into an existing thread
• Do not post threads with the intention of being critical of Netgear firmware
• Do not suggest the use of third party firmware as a solution to an issue with Netgear produced firmware, unless Netgear firmware does not provide the function being discussed.

Basically please feel free to discuss third party firmware, but recognise that the primary purpose of these forums is to provide discussion and advice for Netgear routers and firmware.

Message 1 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

Smiley Very Happy

Netgear's R7000 firmware currently is good.

Those wanting further customization should try DD-WRT. It's a bit more complicated to set up, so be prepared to do your reading on the settings.
Message 2 of 501
Highlighted
Luminary

With all due respect, I agree to a point in regards to postings in regards to DD-WRT, but in the case of the r7000 netgear has promoted the product as being 3rd party firmware ready. So for this model if it is used as a selling point by the manufacturer, then the dicusssion of alternate firmware can be expected.
Message 3 of 501
Highlighted
Virtuoso

NightOwl326 wrote:
... then the dicusssion of alternate firmware can be expected.

I'm not sure you properly understood my post, after all I did say ‘Discussion of third party firmware is allowed’?

What I will not accept is people replying to threads where someone has issues with Netgear firmware with the blanket response of ‘Switch to DD-wrt’ or suchlike, and for issues with third party firmware, then the relevant support forums are better placed for that.
Message 4 of 501
Highlighted
Luminary

I find that sometimes the "companies" like (NETGEAR) have access to "paid" or "licensed" special version of drivers that ONLY they use for the chips in their products. Where, the open source folks have more "general" drivers and have to figure out how to optimize on their own. Hence the theory then being that the OEM could potentially have a better performing firmware. That is not to say open source is bad - far from it!. Open source firmwares at times pack a TON of extras into their firmwares. The folks behind the open source firmwares are also EXTREMELY talented and the performance they crank out sometimes beat the OEM firmwares even without the specialized drivers. It does make sense though to keep the open source specific questions to the open source forums however.
RBK53 v2
Router Firmware: 2.5.1.16
Satellite Firmware: 2.5.1.16 (Satellite1: Wired, Satetellite2: WiFi)
Setup: DSL Modem (Bridge Mode) - Personal Router - Orbi (Access Point mode)
Message 5 of 501
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I really have no problem with open source or well supported third party firmware (I’m a little more cautious when people post their ‘home brew’ firmware here). I’ve recommended third party firmware on these forums plenty of times. What I am trying to avoid is the confusion that can be created, especially with people new to routers and firmware, by mixing discussion of third party with standard Netgear firmware. I also understand that some people will be strongly in favour of third party firmware, but I’ve seen a few too many posts recently in threads where ‘switch to xyz firmware’ is given as an answer, and I’m saying that’s really only acceptable if the standard firmware does not support the function.
Message 6 of 501
Highlighted
Prodigy

Who is tracking the releases and maturity of DD-WRT? I would like to try it once it is mature and stable. I hope it has proper DHCP and DNS.
Message 7 of 501
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Try the dd-wrt forum for the R7000...just google it, and you can see what's going on there any time. Right now, major wireless problems.
Message 8 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

Wireless problem is resolved in latest Kong DD-WRT build.
Message 9 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

Can I flash my R7000 right to his latest build, dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM.bin, and flash back to the Netgear fw if I choose to.
Message 10 of 501
Highlighted
Apprentice

You need to flash the "Initial" first, then flash the build you want. To go back to NETGEAR firmware, simply flash from the Web UI in DD-WRT. I've done it many times without a hitch.
Message 11 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

Ok great thanks .. I had looked for the initial one but didn't see one listed for the r7000. Must have not looked hard enough
Message 12 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

Look for the R7000.chk file in the Initial folder located here:

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/
Message 13 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

Working like a dream. Thanks
Message 14 of 501
Highlighted
Master

Hi,
You have to flash initial f/w first).chk suffix) and then full dd-wrt f/w.(.bin suffix) Under the directory initial.
Message 15 of 501
Highlighted
Novice

Does a DD-WRT install allow you to get a single SSID that automatically selects the spectrum based on client device? I have use case that this would really help with, but the delay in the SmartConnect feature upgrade is killing me.
Message 16 of 501
Highlighted
Novice

Can anyone point me to a primer on DD-WRT that I can read to try and learn about it? I am interested in seeing if it would be worthwhile to flash and try it on my R7000 and my router knowledge is minimal.
Thanks.
Message 17 of 501
Highlighted
Novice

Got a question, is it true that third party firmware won't support hardware acceleration that only OEM firmware can provide as this was something mentioned by the author of Merlin firmware for the ASUS.
Message 18 of 501
Highlighted
Novice

That is correct, with none-Netgear firmware H/W acceleration is disabled, most likly due to license problem with the drivers.

On the other hand, I guess you need 200/200 link on WAN side to have the need for H/W acceleration. Most don't have that kind of speed from there ISP....
Message 19 of 501
Highlighted
Novice

I think it's just good to know what the bad points are with DD-WRT just in case such as in my scenario when they will offer 1GBps fiber to the home in the not too distant future.
Message 20 of 501
Highlighted
Novice

So what other options work well on the R7000?
Message 21 of 501
Highlighted
Novice

About the hardware acceleration, I wonder what is the fastest sustained throughput for storage devices since you may have a 1GBps connection but the thing is sustained throughput without using the cache will never hit that rate.
Message 22 of 501
Highlighted
Novice

larhedse wrote:
On the other hand, I guess you need 200/200 link on WAN side to have the need for H/W acceleration. Most don't have that kind of speed from there ISP....

I think you must be wrong, with my 400/400 FTTH speedtest shows 350 down 325 up.
I'm on the latest kongac build and a big fan of the integrated ad blocking feature.
No more ads on my mobiles.
Message 23 of 501
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Almighty1 wrote:
Got a question, is it true that third party firmware won't support hardware acceleration that only OEM firmware can provide as this was something mentioned by the author of Merlin firmware for the ASUS.

Yes, the hw acceleration module (CTF) is a binary, licensed module from Broadcom, its source is not part of open source. It's licensed by Netgear, Asus, etc., but not by dd-wrt, tomato, etc.
Message 24 of 501
Highlighted
Novice

RogerSC, Think the better way to say it is that the proprietary features is how they make their money and the open source firmwares are free so they don't have the $$$ to pay for the licenses. I sure CTF will be available for those chipsets when they have newer chipsets to make money on. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open-source_wireless_drivers
Message 25 of 501
Top Contributors
Announcements