Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

Kong does have 2 versions of dd-wrt with DDTB or hardware NAT enabled if you wanted to use either.
They run on the "new" drivers though & not "old".
Eventually Kong removed ddtb since there was a bug with some udp traffic to the router itself.

Read the change log file to determine which versions have hardware NAT enabled if you want to give it a try.
Message 276 of 501
Highlighted

I tried Kong's latest DD-WRT, but quickly went back to the latest Netgear firmware, For the sole purpose of: My call of duty advanced warfare multiplayer experience on xbox one. I got much better games (lower latency) with the Netgear firmware and their QoS engine and such. When I used Kong's I setup qos according to the official setup guide on the dd wrt forums, but it was was much worse (for what I am trying to do)
I care nothing about all the settings that most people who use third party firmwares care about since i am just a basic internet user who only wants to get the best experience for my xbox one.
If anybody is like me I would suggest sticking to the Netgear firmware, the default settings are not optimized for the xbox one, but with a little tinkering you will probably get the best online experience you have ever had. Check out the post about xbox one best settings if this is what you want.
Message 277 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

Guys,

I have a kong dd-wrt build installed but am having problems with the Policy based Routing. Can you guys comment on how well, if at all that works on the stock firmware?

I am thinking about going with stock or Tomato for that reason. Not sure though...
Message 278 of 501
Highlighted
Novice

Never had any issues for PBR via CLI. what issues do you have?
Message 279 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

JAMESMTL wrote:

I have got my PIA VPN working well on my DD-WRT router (R700 running kong firmware).

Except for pbr..

What I would like to do is to get my server completely on the VPN Except for one port and one url. I would only like to figure out how to set it up the other way around and use the vpn only on certain ports.
With the two policies I have right now, I am only trying to unblock one port and one url from the vpn..

Right now all clients connected to my router are under the umbrella of the vpn. After searching, I tried this:

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -s <192.168.105.210> -p tcp --sport 32400 -j MARK --set-mark 0

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -s <192.168.105.210> -d plex.tv -j MARK --set-mark 0

the first one is supposed to allow port 32400 to bypass the vpn, and the second is supposed to allow plex.tv to bypass it as well.

The problem is that when I enter these into the policy based routing box all clients connected to the router are bypassed from the VPN (even though it shows Im connected in the logs). I could be looking at the wrong logs or something, who knows.

I know there must be something I'm doing wrong.
Message 280 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

JAMESMTL wrote:
I have got my PIA VPN working well on my DD-WRT router (R7000). Except for pbr.. What I would like to do is to get my server completely on the VPN Except for one port and one url. I would only like to figure out how to set it up the other way around and use the vpn only on certain ports. With the two policies I have right now, I am only trying to unblock one port and one url from the vpn.. Right now all clients connected to my router are under the umbrella of the vpn. After searching, I tried this: iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -s <192.168.105.210> -p tcp --sport 32400 -j MARK --set-mark 0 iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -s <192.168.105.210> -d plex.tv -j MARK --set-mark 0 the first one is supposed to allow port 32400 to bypass the vpn, and the second is supposed to allow plex.tv to bypass it as well. The problem is that when I enter these into the policy based routing box all clients connected to the router are bypassed from the VPN (even though it shows Im connected in the logs). I could be looking at the wrong logs or something, who knows. I know there must be something I'm doing wrong.
Message 281 of 501
Highlighted
Novice

Looks like your on the right track but I wouldn't use mark 0 since that is the default. Also were you using < ip addy >?

should be -s 192.168.105.210

From CLI the following will show your active connection table
cat /proc/net/ip_conntrack

See http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO/lartc.netfilter.html

I can't say much more as there are existing routes and rules due to VPN so we don't see the whole picture.
Message 282 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

JamesMTL, Sorry for the double post but for some reason my post wasnt loading up. Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. Ill be sure to make the corrections and post back.
Message 283 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

JAMESMTL,

After removing the "<>" from my server's ip address of 192.168.105.210, the machine is completely blocked from all internet traffic.
Message 284 of 501
Highlighted
Novice

I would suggest starting a thread on the ddwrt forum including detailed information regarding your config. Also add results from ifconfig, ip route, ip rule.

I'm out of town for a few more days but I will try to look in on your post there. There's also a lot of other users with pbr experience on that forum
Message 285 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

Quick question though.. What build of kong's firmware are you running? I am using:

kongac - build 24800M

maybe there's a bug with this one that I don't know about. I could try the one youre using.
Message 286 of 501
Highlighted
Novice

I'm running Kong's latest version which is something like 257xx. That being said 24800 is a solid build. There were certain VPN issues with 24850-25100. I suspect the issue is more along the lines of trying to guess at solution rather than working it out by looking at the full policy based routes and rules
Message 287 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

JAMESMTL, If I install that version, will I have to put in all my settings again? Just want to make sure so I take screen shots..
Message 288 of 501
Highlighted
Novice

killabee44,

There were some changes to nvram defaults following 24800 (see http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt-ren/K3-AC-Arm/Changelog). I have not seen any issues updating to newer builds. That being said I would probably workout any PBR issues prior to updating beyond 24800.
Message 289 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hello Guys,

Can you help me with one info?
The internet info is quite complex and I did not find what I needed:

I want to be able to download torrents by the router, just to load in it the torrent files and to let the router do the job.

R7000 is not being able to do so on the original firmware.

Which build you would recommend?
Message 290 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

DDWRT Kong has BT client. I believe Tomato Shibby does as well.
Message 291 of 501
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Just for the record, thought I'd mention something that I saw the other day. I got an "iperf" app for my iPad Air 2, since I use it around the house a lot, thought I'd check out the performance of stock Netgear firmware versus dd-wrt just for the heck of it. Did a whole bunch of iperf test runs, didn't believe the results, so did a whole bunch more. This is all on 5GHz., not using 2.4GHz. at all these days.

What I saw was that at the farthest point in my house from my router, my living room, in my favorite seat *smile*, the stock Netgear firmware ran about 60-65Mbps on the average, while the dd-wrt (Kong builds 25090M and 25735M) ran about 85-90Mbps on the average. Consistently and repeatably. I found this surprising, and thought I would share it because one often hears the opposite presented as common knowledge.

That's really quite a difference. The performance was very similar close to the router, but as I moved away, stock Netgear firmware throughput fell off considerably faster than dd-wrt. So, needless to say, I'll be using dd-wrt on the R7000 for a while. Until there's something new to try, anyways *smile*.
Message 292 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

Roger what firmware for the Netgear were you testing with? For me it is just the opposite. Netgear firmware latest and one prior smoke Kong's firmware up to 25090 by more than a 50% margin for WAN, LAN, USB 2.0 and USB 3.0. The Wifi throughput is roughly equivalent for 2.4ghz and 5.ghz
Message 293 of 501
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I was testing only 5GHz. wireless speed, which is the thing that I care about the most here. My wired connections always run as fast as they can *smile*, not a speed daemon here. But 5GHz. wireless coverage and speed has the most effect on my casual computer usage, since I'm not currently using 2.4GHz. This was with both 25090M and 25735M (Kong's AC-ARM) builds. I didn't look at wired throughput or USB. Subsequent testing has narrowed the difference some, but dd-wrt was always faster than stock for me on 5GHz. wireless. I also don't have a lot of use for the Netgear stock web interface, so I'm happy to use dd-wrt just for that. The performance difference is just a bonus. Right at the moment I'm using a different router, not the R7000, and am doing some testing with it as well. Also related to 5GHz. wireless.
Message 294 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

Using the Overclock Feature with DD-WRT Kong will brick your unit.

Dont Do It !!!

I had to buy a special cable to de-brick the unit please be carefull
More reports of Bricking using this feature are found on the internet
=========================
Im no Expert, Im often wrong Smiley Happy
Message 295 of 501
Highlighted
Virtuoso

bjwierda, you're making me curious...how did you overclock it, and what did you overclock it to? I used the shell command prompt with telnet to overclock to 1200MHz., and no problems there. I have heard of people having problems above that. I think that it varies with the individual R7000, though. There are probably R7000's out there that can't safely overclock to 1200MHz. I decided after a few days that I really wasn't getting much out of it, mostly just risking my router operating it above the manufacturer's specs *smile*, so went back to 1000MHz. clock.
Message 296 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

I just selected the Overclock function in the web interface.
Just to see what would happen, it went offline imediatly Smiley Happy
Im no Expert, Im often wrong Smiley Happy
Message 297 of 501
Highlighted
Virtuoso

bjwierda, The recommended way to overclock (if you must *smile*) is to use the command line via telnet or ssh into the router. And then overclocking to 1400MHz. is risky,and don't overclock to 1600MHz. About the only "safe" thing is overclocking at 1200MHz., and then keep an eye out for problems. The best thing is to stay at the manufacturers clock rate, and buy a faster router when you can *smile*.
Message 298 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

If you used the GUI to OC the R7000 then you are using BrainSlayers ddwrt.
Kong does not have a gui front end for OC the R7000 router.
The only way to OC Kong ddwrt is via command line.

BrainSlayer has an actual OC button in the gui so you can OC the router via the GUI.

Now in Kong's firmware you could in theory use the gui command line tab but it does NOT give you the same access as a real root logged in command line.
Some commands with via this method but many do not.
It was really mean to be used for nvram show commands, not nvram set commands.

If this is where you input the OC commands then its shame on you.
Smiley Happy
Message 299 of 501
Highlighted

Any of these firmware allow ip bandwith control ?
Message 300 of 501
Top Contributors
Announcements