Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

If you are already running a Kong firmware on the R7000 then you can use the command line tool ddup.
It works great, shows you the impending new firmware version before download and also has md5 checksum built in.
It is actually safer than the gui upgrade.

From the router command line just run
ddup --flash-latest

You can see the options with this
ddup --help

Just remember you need an md5 file for it to check the .bin file against or it will not actually install the bin file.
Message 326 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

UKEE, How is the software working out?
Message 327 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

I've really had no issues with it. I currently am on Tomato 125 because Shibby needed a beta tester to see if the ping issue with the R7000 could be solved when running Tomato (it has not been). I had no random reboots and no dropped connections (that I know of) when running 26190 version of Kong-AC DD-WRT. There has been at least one more personal release 262xx since then but have not had time to test it more.
Message 328 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

Im on DD-WRT v24-sp2 (02/16/15) kongac - build 26285M which appears to be the latest and havent had any issues whatsoever.

I run a VPN client too. Everything works well.
Message 329 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

NEW DD-WRT release

Just released:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/02-22-2015-r26332/netgear-r7000/

Post your findings, utilizes latest drivers.

CC
Message 330 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

another update

Message 331 of 501
Highlighted

Re: another update

cc999 wrote:
Another update today 2/23

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/02-23-2015-r26339/netgear-r7000/

CC

Hello, I'm using the 2/24 update and everything works for me (including IPv6).

The only bug/ problem so far is:

1 - If I reboot the router (or turn off power), when it comes back, the wireless SSIDs are not working

2 - using the wired connection: In the GUI, it says that the wireless interface is up (while it's not).

3 - You need to disable the 2.4 and 5.0 interface, Apply and then enable it again/ apply.

When I enabled the IPv6 the same problem happened (wireless disappeard and had to disable/ enable the wireless again).
Message 332 of 501
Highlighted
Novice

The wifi issue in v26348 is well documented in the ddwrt forums. v26332 is not affected. I have not tested v26339.

There is no reason to use v26438 as it doesn't bring any necessary updates.
Message 333 of 501
Highlighted
Guide

I have no idea what is going on now with DD-WRT and kong has a micro build out & I can't seem to find any info on that out either. What a mess at that forum. Every thread is spammed by idiots fighting over what some other idiot is saying or doing. I wish those drama nerds would get bent. And more importantly, stay focused on what is important in questions being asked. That has to be the MOST disorganized pile of digital junk to try to sort through that I have ever seen. Who knows where it starts, where it ends, and what is good or bad in between. Smiley Roger, can you please bring some order to our third party chaos regarding a good stable beta DD-WRT that doesnt the basics well, like wifi, printing, speeds, and maybe a dash of QoS upstream?
Message 334 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

+1! It's a real mess over there.
Message 335 of 501
Highlighted
Novice

@ Bob,

The latest BS build 26372 has wifi VAP issues (Guest Networks). The latest Kong build 26365 seems stable but may be subject to wireless bridge issues. Both BS & Kong builds may be subject to some QoS issues.

Commits have been made to the svn which should address VAPs and QoS. I'm thinking the bridging will also be resolved as the VAP / bridging problems have been alternating between fixes. Fix one and break the other and so on.

If you are stable at the moment I would probably suggest waiting for a version > 26380.

FWIW 26365 is stable for me but I don't use wireless bridges.

Can't help you with the micro build as I have not played with it.
Message 336 of 501
Highlighted
Guide

Thanks very much
Message 337 of 501
Highlighted

How do you install it from stock firmware (V1.0.4.18_1.1.52)

Do I just download the "factory-to-dd-wrt.chk" upload it to my router then upload the "netgear-r7000-webflash.bin" then all OK?

And is this link the latest version of Kongs firmware?
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/03-02-2015-r26424/netgear-r7000/

And if I wanted to go back to stock how would I do that, upload the "factory-to-dd-wrt.chk" again then upload the offical netgear firmware?

Thanks, I'm new to this. Smiley Happy
Message 338 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

For anyone interested in Tomato ARM (Shibby), he seems have fixed the high ping issue with Tomato and the R7000 (via commands for now but will be released in upcoming release 127 with other fixes).

Just a FYI for those interested in Tomato.
Message 339 of 501
Highlighted

That is great news. Looks like some phantom LAN device was being added in the FW? Glad it has been tracked down. I will more than likely switch back to Shibby's. I've sent money before but will toss some more his way as well.
Message 340 of 501
Highlighted
Virtuoso

LukeTCThatsMe37 wrote:
How do you install it from stock firmware (V1.0.4.18_1.1.52)

First flash the "initial" .chk firmware. This gets you to dd-wrt. Then flash the firmware version that you actually want to use (.bin), if different (they usually are, but not always). Don't forget to reset the router to factory defaults after flashing the dd-wrt firmware version that you want to use before configuring it.

And is this link the latest version of Kongs firmware?
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/03-02-2015-r26424/netgear-r7000/

Here's the latest Kong firmware:

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/

And if I wanted to go back to stock how would I do that, upload the "factory-to-dd-wrt.chk" again then upload the offical netgear firmware?

To go back to stock firmware from dd-wrt, just flash the stock firmware version that you want to use, no transitional flash is needed. Again, you'll need to reset your router to factory defaults after flashing the stock firmware version that you want to use.

Have fun...I'd advise you to do some reading in the dd-wrt forum before jumping into dd-wrt, just to give you an idea of what's going on and what to expect.
Message 341 of 501
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It seems that the spate of posts where people would reply to threads asking questions with the stock answer ‘switch to DD-WRT’ is long over, this was the reason why this thread was created.

Thankfully the majority (maybe all) of regular posters on this forum who are DD-WRT users (or other third party firmware) are very sensible in their discussion of DD-WRT.

So, I would like to say that if people want to split their discussions of third party firmware away from this single thread then please feel free to do so, but with the following restrictions.

• Please make the thread title clear to show that it’s a third party firmware discussion
• Do not post threads requesting support for third party firmware, though I accept that such discussion might creep into an existing thread
• Do not post threads with the intention of being critical of Netgear firmware
• Do not suggest the use of third party firmware as a solution to an issue with Netgear produced firmware, unless Netgear firmware does not provide the function being discussed.

Basically please feel free to discuss third party firmware, but recognise that the primary purpose of these forums is to provide discussion and advice for Netgear routers and firmware.
Highlighted

I don't understand why we'd want splintered threads regarding third party fw.

Looks like Shibby's and the tweaks to address the ping issue may not be completely ironed out. At best it looks like it'll be okay as long as you reset the router to its defaults prior to updating. At worse the "fix" breaks the LAN interface.
Message 343 of 501
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

jsmiddleton4 wrote:
I don't understand why we'd want splintered threads regarding third party fw.

The option is there for people who want it.
Highlighted
Virtuoso

jsmiddleton4 wrote:

Looks like Shibby's and the tweaks to address the ping issue may not be completely ironed out. At best it looks like it'll be okay as long as you reset the router to its defaults prior to updating. At worse the "fix" breaks the LAN interface.

I used the fix on an R7000 that was already configured for Shibby's v126 and everything worked fine for me, no more random ping time issues and all good. The people that are having problems are generally people that do additional configuration with vlan's and so on. My tomato configuration is pretty much vanilla, I just configure the wireless, don't even configure a guest wireless network at this point.

And yes, if you already have vlan's configured and in use for v126, clearing nvram, then applying the fix, then re-configuring your vlan's may well work.

I'm thinking that v127 will have this fix built in, so everything should be cool next time around. Although there may be some bumps in the road for those that use fairly exotic (untested) configurations. We'll see!
Message 345 of 501
Highlighted

I'll wait for 127 and probably give it a shot.
Message 346 of 501
Highlighted
Guide

@RogerSC
I am currently running D-WRT but always liked Tomato better. However, it is my understanding that tomato on ARM routers (R7000 in my case) does not have the real time bandwidth monitoring that DD-WRT has. Is this still true?

I know that not non ARM Tomato supports this. I find this feature helpful at times.

--bill
R7000 Firmware XVortex Merlin Port.

Everyone has a right to be stupid once in awhile. Yet some just abuse the privilege.
Message 347 of 501
Highlighted
Virtuoso

bill1228 wrote:
@RogerSC
However, it is my understanding that tomato on ARM routers (R7000 in my case) does not have the real time bandwidth monitoring that DD-WRT has. Is this still true?

Yes, there are still a few missing pieces for tomato ARM at this point. BW monitoring is not complete yet, only the top level real time monitoring is working now. The "Ethernet Ports Status" is now working, though, that came with the fix for the random ping time issue.
Message 348 of 501
Highlighted
Aspirant

Kong released a new PTB today.
It has been running smoothly for me for a few hours.
He said he fixed the bridge & corrected some VAP issues along with mac based QoS up/down being inverted.
26450M
Message 349 of 501
Highlighted

I have already got build 26365M, do I just upload the updated .bin file or the .chk file as well?
Message 350 of 501
Top Contributors
Announcements