Highlighted

Re: DD-WRT and other third party firmware

Well gee Roger.
Message 376 of 501
Highlighted
Luminary

Porting Merlin FW to R7000: http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/router-recommendation-rt-ac68u-or-r7000.71082/#post-258...
- Modem Draytek Vigor 130
- Firewall/Router pfSense 2.3.1 (Supermicro A1SRi-2558)
- AP Netgear R7000 (Stock FW)
- Switch Cisco SG350-10
- HTPC Intel NUC5i3RYH
- NAS Synology DS1515+(5x5TB)
- NAS Synology DS213+ (2x3TB)
- Laptop AlienWare M17R2
Message 377 of 501
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Wolf_666 wrote:
Porting Merlin FW to R7000: http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/router-recommendation-rt-ac68u-or-r7000.71082/#post-258...

This would be a great choice if well supported, thanks for sharing!
Message 378 of 501
Highlighted
Novice

Well after spending last year on Kong's DD-WRT, I reluctantly swapped back to stock firmware in January after Kong left the scene and I was stuck with those nasty reboot issues in the later versions.

Stock definitely has the edge over 2.4 and 5Ghz WIFI range but I did miss my configurability of DD-WRT and had issues talking to my devices using their DNS name e.g. remote desktop etc where I would always have to put in the ip address.

So I read up on DD-WRT again and decided to back to the earlier Kong builds that were stable i.e. the well known 24345 version using the last version with the OLD wireless drivers. So flash with the chk and then with the 24325 bin.

Well I sat on that for the day and while it's stable, WIFI appears to stall for me and I remember why I had tried the later Kong builds in the first place.

The I read up on newer versions being tested by Kong which are then included in the Brainslayer releases of DD-WRT kept in another location. I thought what the heck I'll give these new versions a try. Instead of using Kong's personal versions I used the versions in here that Kong has input to anyway. So I grabbed the latest version (26587) here -> ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/03-27-2015-r26587/netgear-r7000/

I flashed over 24325, took a little longer to reboot afterwards, thought for a moment I had stuffed it. It came good and 26587 is much improved and a nicer looking interface.

Well I reconfigured everything, approx 25 devices (20 of the wireless) with static IP, QOS, DDNS, WIFI and some other basic settings and away I went.

It's been up for over 30 hours and has been fully tested by the kids on the W/E and no issues. Wireless is great albeit slightly weaker range than stock but I can live with it. Turned on SNMP and am monitoring the router CPU and memory and many other global throughput stats which I missed before.

I haven't found any bugs yet and it appears fine for my family.

Well then did some further reading because I really was interested in YAMon 2.0 Usage Reporting which shows a nice web interface on breakdown by device. After about 30 mins of reading and another 20 mins of setting up I could not be happier.

I now have an amazing array of monitoring tools by device, live usage graphs etc so I can immediately tell what device is using at any time.

I could not be more than happy with what the community have done and turned my R7000 into an amazing piece of kit.

Also with Yamon 2.0 (http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=259806), there is an amazing R7000 specific tutorial in this thread (http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=955030#955030) following the Mediafire to the word document that spelled it out for me.

I had to download a free version of notepad++, WinSCP and a Free EaseUS Partition Master to setup the software but the document made it much easier than the readme in the Yamon zip file.

My wife is impressed at the monitoring ability and also with me.

Hope this helps anyone brave enough to give it a go.
Message 379 of 501
Highlighted
Novice

I just reverted from that Tomato Shibby 128 back to Netgear because I was able to crash the router repeatedly with USB transfers.
Message 380 of 501
Highlighted
Guide

swaaye wrote:
I just reverted from that Tomato Shibby 128 back to Netgear because I was able to crash the router repeatedly with USB transfers.

Might want to give the Merlin port a try. Here is a link to the info. Loads right on top of OEM, Tomato, or DD-WRT. Has, in my opinion, the best gui interface.

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/asuswrt-merlin-on-netgear-r7000.71108/#post-259279

--bill
R7000 Firmware XVortex Merlin Port.

Everyone has a right to be stupid once in awhile. Yet some just abuse the privilege.
Message 381 of 501
Highlighted
Guide

One warning. If loading the Merlin build from OEM firmware there is a .chk file that needs to be run first.
I was running DD-WRT and did need to do this, just loaded the .trx file.
--bill

Everyone has a right to be stupid once in awhile. Yet some just abuse the privilege.
Message 382 of 501
Highlighted
Novice

That looks promising but sounds very alpha-level at this point......
Message 383 of 501
Highlighted
Novice

Anyone able to confirm CTF is actually working on the merlin port? Not just that it's a menu choice but demonstrate lower cpu usage at high speed such as 200+ mbps.
Message 384 of 501
Highlighted

Users report CTF is working. Looks interesting but still too alpha for me to try. I work at home and my work connection runs through my router. Has to be stable enough to not interfere. While it looks promising merlin's port is not ready for my environment.

I used Merlin's on my Asus RT-66. I liked it but Tomato excels still in one area. Device listing for static IP assigning, ARP binding, etc. Tomato nails that feature.
Message 385 of 501
Highlighted
Guide

Understand your concern about being stable. Am retired now but used to work from home at times and my being able to access company network was critical.
I can tell you my wife would be hollering at me if the "Internet" was down. The beta1 and .52 have been rock solid for me. I would not be afraid to use this for what I used to need.
--bill

Message 386 of 501
Highlighted

I'll keep an eye on it. The country code thing looks like it needs to be ironed out.
Message 387 of 501
Highlighted
Guide

jsmiddleton4 wrote:
I'll keep an eye on it. The country code thing looks like it needs to be ironed out.

That is one thing that needs some work. He does have a couple of scripts that you can run which fixes the country code thing, so I am assuming there will be a fix soon as he knows what is wrong and what needs to be updated/changed.

--bill

Message 388 of 501
Highlighted
Novice

@jsmiddleton4

Do you have a link confirming that ctf is actually working? All I've seen is a post from slidermike stating that ctf.ko module is loaded. A loaded module =! working ctf. What I would like to see is max cpu usage while doing a large high speed download (10 GB file at around 200 Mbs +). Ex running top -d 1 and hitting 1 to show individual cores during the download.

Running latest BS dd-wrt while download 10 GB test file at ~ 175 mbps cpu 1 shows idle 39-65% Avg ~ 50. Cpu 2 idle 70-85% Avg ~ 75%. (Stock cpu frequency)

Of course if someone has a speedtest > 400 Mbs stock CPU freq then that would be a good indicator as well.
Message 389 of 501
Highlighted

As noted users report CTF is working.
Message 390 of 501
Highlighted

Message 391 of 501
Highlighted
Novice

@jsmiddleton4

So I contacted slidermike and he ran a speedtest and looked at his cpu utilization and it does not appear that ctf is working on the Merlin port even though ctf is shown as active in the webif and ctf.ko is loaded. In fact his cpu utization is very similar to mine running DDWRT specifically when looking at the sirq usage which is where routers bottleneck when it comes to routing.

Do you have any other examples where people claim and can demonstrate that offloading is in fact functional?
Message 392 of 501
Highlighted

I'm sorry James but I'm not your search bot and I have nothing to do with this merlin port FW.
Message 393 of 501
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Couple of Kong dd-wrt releases that have worked well for me are 26160M and 26500M. Just for anyone that's shopping for solid non-stock firmware releases *smile*. Currently using 26500M, and it's doing just fine.
Message 394 of 501
Highlighted
Guide

RogerSC wrote:
Couple of Kong dd-wrt releases that have worked well for me are 26160M and 26500M. Just for anyone that's shopping for solid non-stock firmware releases *smile*. Currently using 26500M, and it's doing just fine.

Having tried several different releases, I would have to agree with you that these two are among the best.

Currently I am giving XVortex Merlin firmware port a run on my r7000. So far I love it, the gui is great. I used Merlin's firmware on a rt-n66u and really missed it when I got the r7000. Can do so much more with it then the stock Netgear. Almost makes me want to sell the R7000 and get a Asus. Got the r7000 because of reviews at the time showing the r7000 was better then the Asus rt-ac68u for what I wanted.
--bill

Message 395 of 501
Highlighted
Novice

Netgear is certainly missing a lot of features that you get on ASUS firmware and from some other manufacturers as well.
Message 396 of 501
Highlighted
Virtuoso

swaaye wrote:
Netgear is certainly missing a lot of features that you get on ASUS firmware and from some other manufacturers as well.

Yep, good thing that they support third-party firmware *smile*.

Actually, it seems like a trend, dumbing down the web admin interfaces and limiting features. The manufacturers seem be leaving the interesting stuff to third-parties.
Message 397 of 501
Highlighted
Novice

@RogerSC

I agree. At home I run two routers, my ISP router for IPTV and the r7000 for Internet. You really should see how limited the FW is on my ISP device. I suspect dumbing it down reduces the number of service calls.
Message 398 of 501
Highlighted
Novice

bill1228 wrote:
Having tried several different releases, I would have to agree with you that these two are among the best.

Currently I am giving XVortex Merlin firmware port a run on my r7000. So far I love it, the gui is great. I used Merlin's firmware on a rt-n66u and really missed it when I got the r7000. Can do so much more with it then the stock Netgear. Almost makes me want to sell the R7000 and get a Asus. Got the r7000 because of reviews at the time showing the r7000 was better then the Asus rt-ac68u for what I wanted.
--bill

hey, I've seen you on various forums and you seem to have tried a lot of things. I just purchased a R7000 about two months ago. Since getting this router, I've had nothing but headaches.

My main problem right now is that I run multiple iOS devices (iPhone 6, 6+, iPad, etc) and whenever someone watches a streaming video (YouTube, Netflix, etc) my internet goes to complete crap. It usually dies and I have to reboot the router. It runs great for everything else, but anytime someone tries streaming it dies again.

I tried running many versions of the OFFICIAL firmware. Reset factory settings. Turned off QOS like WMM etc. Nothing has worked.

I just put DD-WRT (March 2015) firmware and I hope that the problem is resolved. Do you have any suggestions?
Message 399 of 501
Highlighted
Novice

Don't discount the possibility of defective hardware.
Message 400 of 501
Top Contributors
Announcements