Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DD-WRT firmware

Danser
Aspirant

DD-WRT firmware

Can someone tell me how to get my router setup with DD-WRT? 

Thank you

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Danser
Aspirant

Michael I'm sorry I came here to ask about something I should have gone to the other sites to ask. It's that I had just gotten the R9000 and wanted to flash it. After reading at more than one site I could brick the router I decided to forget it. Not worth it.

Thanks and I'm gone for this topic.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies

There are a few people here who use these alternatives to the official firmware, but your best bet is to try the places where they cover different firmware.

You aren't likely to get much help on an official Netgear forum. It does not support third party firmware.

Message 2 of 11
Danser
Aspirant

Thanks,

Micheal. I really don't know what, or why my VPN needs it anyway.

Message 3 of 11

Does that mean that your question is really about the VPN?

If so, you would do better to ask about that.

Tell people what it is and you might get useful advice.

Message 4 of 11
Danser
Aspirant

No!  I don't like the way you came back to me, or is it how you treat everyone asking questions that are merely asking because they don't know the answer.  Don't assume. What I meant is was what I said in the first post. It had nothing to do with a VPN other than the VPN I signed up with.  They need a DD-WRT router via the OpenVPN GUI client in order to use their VPN.  Take that as useful advice. Man... Geezz

Message 5 of 11

Your first message said:

Can someone tell me how to get my router setup with DD-WRT?

Then you said:

I really don't know what, or why my VPN needs it anyway.

I was just trying to home in on the real problem so that someone can provide the best answer.

If you aren't interested in that, fine.

Message 6 of 11
myersw
Master

If you want to install DD-WRT on the r9000 you need to be on the dd-wrt forums with your question. Am sure it is easy, like grabbing a particular file to install. HOWEVER, check to see what it takes to get back to OEM if you want. That may require using the serial interface which means cracking open the router. Have installed on various routers so have that experience. 

Message 7 of 11
Danser
Aspirant

Hi Bill,

Thanks for coming back. Is there any reason to flash the router?  I've been going back and forth on the subject now for, so long, I don't remember why it has to be done. Is it worth maybe bricking the router?

Thanks

Message 8 of 11
myersw
Master

Depends on why you think DD-WRT is the answer. 

Message 9 of 11

We still don't know the question. It didn't go down well when I asked.

Of course, the lazy, and less than helpful answer, would be to whinge about Netgear's useless firmware. But I will leave it to others to provide that facile response.

Message 10 of 11
Danser
Aspirant

Michael I'm sorry I came here to ask about something I should have gone to the other sites to ask. It's that I had just gotten the R9000 and wanted to flash it. After reading at more than one site I could brick the router I decided to forget it. Not worth it.

Thanks and I'm gone for this topic.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7