Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DDOS'd Please Help! Nighthawk R7000 router

Zebragaming
Follower

DDOS'd Please Help! Nighthawk R7000 router

Hi if anyone could please help. I am new to this so bare with me please. I got DDOS'd (booted) yesterday and I know so because the person sent me a message and my game froze then kicked me as well as all of my internet went out for about 5 mins. I was playing Red Dead Online and had ExpressVpn but apparaerntly this game is P2P and needs port forwarding on VPNs. So I know I need a new VPN that allows that but my question is does the NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 have any defense it self agaisnt DDOS. I know they have my real VPN "I guess" as they booted me even with my VPN because of not having port forwarding but not sure if that is how it works or they booted me by flooding the VPN somehow without having it.

My ISP makes a big deal about changing my IP Address as me and about half the county has the same one due to the type of fiber internet I have. So if my ISP makes me keep the same IP Address but going forward I get a port forwarding VPN can the ones that "may" still have my IP Address what can I do to stop them? I saw on a post someone said to Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection. What is the risks to this and long term can it be a solution?

Thanks again for any help I am a novice who pissed someone off in a video game who didn't like losing! LOL

Message 1 of 4

Re: DDOS'd Please Help! Nighthawk R7000 router

@Zebragaming wrote:

.... my question is does the NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 have any defense it self agaisnt DDOS.

Did you consult the logs for your R7000 router?

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual View Logs of Router Activity.

You may have done that already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

If you do read the logs, be warned that Netgear's firmware is great at creating false reports of DoS attacks. Many of them are no such thing.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – DoS attacks

Message 2 of 4
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@Zebragaming @michaelkenward 

I disabled all logging on my own router. I was getting multiple false reports of DDoS attacks. I deduced that the router logging was just rubbish. Never had a problem since, well I wouldn't know would I because I no longer have logging enabled

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 4

@Portwey84 wrote:

@Zebragaming @michaelkenward 

I disabled all logging on my own router. I was getting multiple false reports of DDoS attacks.

That's one way of dealing with it.

A less severe approach is just to disable logging of "Known DoS attacks and Port Scans".

@Portwey84 wrote:

I deduced that the router logging was just rubbish.

Can't argue with that. And most of the log events are kind of pointless for many users. Do I really need to know about Connections to the Web-based interface of this Router?

But there may be some useful events. The "Dos Attacks" seem to be especially useless – and pointlessly scary to some people. And they also seem to cause more performance issues than other events.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7