Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DDoS protection

WilliamF0
Aspirant

DDoS protection

Hi all,

Ive been getting DDoS attacked and just wondering if I suscribe to netgear armor it will protect(or at least mitigate) me from it or not.

I was looking at the link below and it only mentioned endpoint device protection that is why.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059435/What-features-does-NETGEAR-Armor-offer

Thank you

Model: R6900P|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

Re: DDoS protection

Netgear's firmware is great at creating false reports of DoS attacks. Many of them are no such thing.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – DoS attacks

Use Whois.net to see who is behind some of them and you may find that they are from places like Facebook, Google, even your ISP.

Here is a useful tool for that task:

IPNetInfo: Retrieve IP Address Information from WHOIS servers

If these events are slowing down your router, that may be because it is using up processor time as it writes the events to your logs. Anything that uses processor power – event logging, QoS management, traffic metering – may cause slowdowns. Disable logging of DoS attacks and see if that reduces the problem. This does not prevent the router from protecting you from the outside world.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@WilliamF0 wrote:

Ive been getting DDoS attacked...

For real, or just based on the not very sensitive nd often false Netgear router DDoS logs?

Message 2 of 5
WilliamF0
Aspirant

It is for real, my internet service sent down several time and the time on log match it.

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

I read "...went down...". ... at this point you will see various kinds of faux DoS entries in the logs.This is caused by the Internet down, half-open connections where IP stacks are retrying, and so on. Source will be typically a local LAN IP.

Similar, if mobile devices like a phone is roaming away from the WiFi, open conections still exit, and the IP stack on the far end will try to continue the communication, but the mobile device is no longer on the [W]LAN, ... there will be again faux DoS enties in the logs. Source will be IP addresses from the Internet, like Apple, Google, Facebook, ... 

Both are not DoS. 

Message 4 of 5

Netgear's firmware is great at creating false reports of DoS attacks. Many of them are no such thing.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – DoS attacks

Use Whois.net to see who is behind some of them and you may find that they are from places like Facebook, Google, even your ISP.

Here is a useful tool for that task:

IPNetInfo: Retrieve IP Address Information from WHOIS servers

If these events are slowing down your router, that may be because it is using up processor time as it writes the events to your logs. Anything that uses processor power – event logging, QoS management, traffic metering – may cause slowdowns. Disable logging of DoS attacks and see if that reduces the problem. This does not prevent the router from protecting you from the outside world.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7