Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DFS, Netgear Downloader, and other Undocumented Features

Umrk
Tutor

DFS, Netgear Downloader, and other Undocumented Features

After the firmware V 1.0.2.10_10.0.29, I found Netgear downloader and received an error message when changing the 5 ghz channel warning me about using DFS. Where can I find documentation on this and any other features that were suddenly added to my router. Searching for Netgear downloader and DFS yield a lot of information, but none applicable to my router. Hopefully someone from Netgear will decide to fill this informational void with something helpful.

It would be appreciated by me and anyone else who owns this router.

Umrk

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

Re: DFS, Netgear Downloader, and other Undocumented Features

Find the release notes for the latest firmware here:

R7900 Firmware Version 1.0.2.10 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

If you jumped more than one version, then older release notes may help.

There is a support stuff and manual for the R7900 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> R7900 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies

Find the release notes for the latest firmware here:

R7900 Firmware Version 1.0.2.10 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

If you jumped more than one version, then older release notes may help.

There is a support stuff and manual for the R7900 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> R7900 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Message 2 of 8
schumaku
Guru

DFS is not a new feature on it's own - it's a regulatory requirement when allowing the router to make use of certin 5 GHz channels in some bands.

The NETGER Downloader does allow to handle download (and P2P sharing) using certain protocols as documented in the How to configure the NETGEAR Downloader feature.

Message 3 of 8
Umrk
Tutor

Thank you for the informartive reply. This firmware update seems to have caused a lot of unexplainable issues that I am trying to work through. One of the more annoying is the inability to restore duel channel 5 ghz channels. I had combinded both into a single 5ghz channel which worked fine until this DFS restreiction sddenely appeared. It made using both channels as a single access point impossible because one of the channels violated this "DFS:" restriction. Another issue is the ossicillating speed of my connection, dropping to 5 mb/s then increasing to 97...its an annoying rollercoaster ride that doesn't seem to stop. 

I will be immersing myself in the documentation you provided in hopes of discovering how I might resolve this.

Thanks again!

Umrk 

Message 4 of 8
Umrk
Tutor

And by the way, what is the benefit of this "Downloader" feature? 

Message 5 of 8

Torrents?

A technology that dates back to slow internet and that no longer means much. To me at least.

Message 6 of 8
TerryPh
Virtuoso

BT  - not much used anymore. We have now Gigabit Internet speed.... 

Message 7 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@Umrk wrote:

One of the more annoying is the inability to restore duel channel 5 ghz channels. I had combinded both into a single 5ghz channel which worked fine until this DFS restreiction sddenely appeared. It made using both channels as a single access point impossible because one of the channels violated this "DFS:" restriction. 

DFS is not a restiction, no violation - it's a behaviour required by regulatory requirements for using certain 5 GHz bands or channels. Before any activity can happen, the radio must check of there is certain activity (ie. radar), this takes either 60 seconds (US, EU) or up to 10 minutes (CN, AUS). And during operation, any kind of radar interference must lead to a dynamic channel change, too.

I don't understand what you want to describe with  "dual channel 5 GHz channels" or a "combinded both into a single 5ghz channel".

FMI: https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basics/wireless-basics/33082-smallnetbuilder-s-wi-fi-dynamic-frequen...

DFS does not restrict or interfere with the ability of configuring network names (ESSIDs). To use the same network name on both 5GHZ radios resp. all radios, you might have to use the SmartConnect feature. Anyway, there is no "logical" reason why some routers are prohibiting the configuration of the same network name by the way.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7