DFS in EU region.

hilikusrt
Aspirant

DFS in EU region.

Hi there,

When will we see a DFS Implementation in the R7000 in Europe?
Seriously, this is basic functionality, guys.

cheers
Message 1 of 8
hilikusrt
Aspirant

Re: DFS in EU region.

I got an answer from Netgear Germany.

I asked on their facebook page, if we will see DFS support in Europe.

The answer is "offiziell nicht" which means officially not.
To be honest, I am speechlesse and furious. This is such an old and essential feature to utilize all available channels in the 5 GHz band. And it is working in other regions. Effectively in EU there are only 4 channels available in 5 GHz opposed to 19 channels.

Seriously, how can Netgear bother with stuff like USB 3 and iTunes Server and what not and at the same time neglect the very basics?
Message 2 of 8
Squuiid
Luminary

This is unbelievable.
As mentioned above DFS is basic functionality and the lack of this feature affects all European users of this router.
I very much regret buying two R7000s. Netgear's support and in particular their firmware developer team are pathetic.
Message 3 of 8
Anti_Ultimate
Aspirant

Squuiid wrote:
This is unbelievable.
As mentioned above DFS is basic functionality and the lack of this feature affects all European users of this router.
I very much regret buying two R7000s. Netgear's support and in particular their firmware developer team are pathetic.

DD-WRT supports it, even the stock firmware actually supports it but it's not enabled in the Web Interface (If you enable telnet on stock firmware and use the command "wl -i eth1 channels", it shows most of the DFS channels. The current driver supports all of them, the regulatory rev Netgear uses doesn't.

However, I doubt we'll see anything about this anyways. If you look into the german Amazon reviews for the R7000, they promised DFS for LAST YEAR. If it weren't for DD-WRT, I'd have returned the router anyways.
Message 4 of 8
Squuiid
Luminary

Thanks Anti_Ultimate. Rather than telnetting in I selected Japan as my region which shares the same DFS channels as Europe Smiley Happy
Thanks for the suggestion.
Message 5 of 8
randomnut
Novice

Does setting to Japan work for the standard firmware in UK? Or do you need to be running dd-wrt?

I had a look into ddwrt but have not installed it yet as there were some reports of performance not being as good?
Message 6 of 8
Squuiid
Luminary

randomnut wrote:
Does setting to Japan work for the standard firmware in UK? Or do you need to be running dd-wrt?

Standard firmware and it works very well. I'm also UK based.
I tried DD-WRT a year ago but ended up going back to stock.
Let us know how you get on.
Message 7 of 8
randomnut
Novice

Thanks, it looks like if I change it to Japan I get a choice of loads more channels.

It doesn't have an Auto option though, do I just need to try through them all to find the best channel or can I get it to auto select?
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E