DHCP Errors and dropped connections

LeeH
Prodigy

DHCP Errors and dropped connections

1. HP3015DN printer can get a DHCP assigned IP upon initial printer power on but fails IP assignment when trying to renew registration during IP renewal using DHCP. The printer falls back to an auto IP assignment in the 169.254.x.x range. The printer configuration page gives an error of bad DHCP response. Setting an IP reservation did not solve the issue. Setting a static IP in the printer and making an IP reservation in the router is a work around that works.

2. Android phone spawns a new DHCP IP reservation each time it leaves and re-enters the network. This can only be seen from the Advanced—Setup—Address Reservation-- +Add screen. This overwrites DHCP reservations for powered off and sleeping devices. It also causes the Basic—Home—Attached Devices readout to read a negative number and wired devices in the Genie Network Map display can show up as wireless devices.

This has caused dropped connections on my network. Setting up address reservations in the router and a static IP in my printer has solved the problems. DHCP renewal is broken.
Message 1 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: DHCP Errors and dropped connections

Do not use address reservation and static IP at same time

Use static IP OUTSIDE of your DHCP range is what you want to setup for those devices are permanent.

Address reservation must be used within DHCP range

Using both at same for single device will be not good and not suggest to do
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 12
LeeH
Prodigy

If any of you decide to setup a static IP address outside the 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.254 range you should set your subnet mask to a value othe than 255.255.255.0. If you do not the router will route out to the internet port and cause lag in your connection.

Go to the router web page Advanced--Setup--LAN Setup and change the IP Subnet Mask to something other than 255.255.255.0 You could try 255.255.0.0 This would allow routing of all subnets in the range of 192.168.1.x~192.168.254.x in the local LAN without routing out the internet port.
Message 3 of 12
RogerSC
Virtuoso

LeeH wrote:

2. Android phone spawns a new DHCP IP reservation each time it leaves and re-enters the network.

I've taken care of this one by reserving a LAN address outside of the DHCP pool for my Android phone on the router, and then going into wifi "advanced options" settings on my Android phone and marking its IP address as "static" instead of "DHCP" there.

This can also have the side benefit of having less wakeups for your Android phone depending on which choice you use for "Keep WiFi on during sleep" , which can help to save the phone's battery some.
Message 4 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Changing to subnet to 255.255.0.0 make huge subnet is all you are doing ..
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 12
sjht
Guide

jmizoguchi, So, if I have a device that I have configured as a static IP address, then I should assign this outside of the DHCP range? I've always configured the device as static and then reserved the address so it doesn't get assigned. What's the issue with doing this? Thanks. SJ
Message 6 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

If you use static ip on device itself there no reason to use address reservation
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 12
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Personally, I use the "address reservation" facility as a reminder of the client address, and to associate a client name. In the past with other routers, the name that you give the client in the address reservation appears in the client lists, and various things like wireless status, etc. That's pretty useful to me, when the router doesn't get a client name from the client since the MAC addresses aren't very descriptive as far as I'm concerned, especially when you have a bunch of that kind of client. Unfortunately Netgear doesn't do that part, but at least the information is over with the address reservations in the GUI, anyways.
Message 8 of 12
LeeH
Prodigy

jmizoguchi wrote:
If you use static ip on device itself there no reason to use address reservation

The reason is so that the static IP is reserved so that the DHCP server does not reuse that IP address and you could (and I have experienced this) have two clients sharing the same IP address causing an IP conflict.

I use a static IP for my laser printer and reserve its IP address. This has worked well for me. No real need to have a static IP outside the DHCP range if you reserve the IP.
Message 9 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I use reserved IP on everything without a problem in my home networks. I feel I have more control and less chance of a conflict. In my experience to date I haven't had a reason to change that practice.
Message 10 of 12
LeeH
Prodigy

Is anyone else experiencing the DHCP errors? Have you submitted a support case for this?

Netgear has sent me a RMA for this router and I am not convinced it is a hardware issue unique to this router. I think it is a firmware issue.

Well if not enough people submit a support case for this issue it will not get fixed. I hate to RMA it because I purchased a 3 year warranty from NewEgg with this router that will be null and void if I send it in. And by the way Netgear says that NewEgg is not an authorized reseller and they are doing me a favor by letting me RMA this.

I bet there is only a 90 day warranty on the router I receive to replace this one.
Message 11 of 12
LeeH
Prodigy

Different day, different router, same problems. I am surprised more people aren't experiencing drop outs and IP conflicts. I hope the firmware DHCP problems get fixed. Maybe not enough people are identifying this as a problem and it won't be fixed. Ip reservations for me until it is fixed.:(
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E