× Some paid Circle Parental controls customers may be showing free options only. Router firmware correcting this issue will be available ASAP. Visit Status.NETGEAR.com for updates.

Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 33 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Master

DLNA OFFICIALLY removed from R7000 on latest F/W.

Thanks a lot Netgear!

This is INSANE!!!

=======================

Subject: Re: R7000 latest firmware doesn't support media server
DLNA has been added to the list of features that were removed with the .88 firmware this will be updated in the firmware notes.   Starting with this firmware release (V1.0.9.88), iTunesServer, Kwilt Photosharing, DLNA, Time Machine Backup, TiVo support for media sharing, and the Downloader feature (which was in beta) are no longer supported. If you want to continue using these features, do not update the firmware.   Thanks DarrenM

========================

You have to be kidding, and I assume this will transfer to all other routers soon?

@DarrenM, have the decency to at least EXPLAIN why this and other features are REMOVED from a router that might have been bought because of these features. "Low usage" doesn't cut it as I can't even THINK of how Netgear could get the data that would be accurate?

PLEASE reconsider this step and consider going back on it. What do you need, a list of users agreeing this is wrong? If so, START a POLL please.

If you don't answer or even try to defend this decision I guess it is time to say Goodbye and get a real useable router.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 35
Highlighted
Master

Re: DLNA OFFICIALLY removed from R7000 on latest F/W.

In addition @DarrenM how in the world can you defend this statement, "If you want to continue using these features, do not update the firmware."!!!! So you are telling us if we want to use any of those features we have to leave our router's open to Security Exposures!!!

Message 2 of 35
Highlighted
Guru

For the MacOS users, add "Time Machine Backup" support (bet thats mainly just some TM-specific Bonjour announcements) to the poll - to be considered re-added.

This process has not started with the R7000 announcement - in fact Netgear had released some "security" router model which has oddly shrunken the firmware image size massively, and the old men started digging ... months before the R7000 feature removal notification.

Netgear has started adding some data collection and calling home back in 2017 on the R7000 - bet that was supposed to provide enough information to decide of used or unused features.

Good morning @IrvSp  ... we can just bring the information to Netgear's attention....

IMG_20190806_152422_copy.jpg

... If nobody does take responsibility, and does just hide behind the wall of shame ("we don't talk to these community members") - decision processes seem to be as slow and error prone as the CHT firmware releases and the related release notes. It's a secret on how this CHT group can survive in the market.

Message 3 of 35
Highlighted
Guru

Look here ... Re: Advanced Network Protection With NEW Nighthawk Cybersecurity WiFi Router! ... here they introduced a new router SKU - for a feature changed R7000P. Same concept is not carried forward to other router models, instead they scrap features in favour of adding Armor.

Message 4 of 35
Highlighted
Master

Only so much code can fit into the router memory so if adding something like armor then got to get rid of other things. Issue as I see it is folks bought the router base on box or advancements that certain features are included. Now after purchase these features are being removed. I would be very unhappy being told do not update because the things I am using are not supported anymore and in fact if I want to remain updated from a security standpoint the feature I maybe bought the router for is removed. In which case I would be throwing the router in the bin and going else where other then Netgear. It feels like Netgear has really lost their way. Did they do any surveys to see if folks even wanted armor at the expense of losing other features? I suspect not. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 5 of 35
Highlighted
Luminary

To add insult to injury the new firmware doesn't even work for many people. It's a farce.
"the latest" is not a firmware version number and is not useful information
Message 6 of 35
Highlighted
Guru

Its a similar to what happened with the ps3, when sony removed the option for the otherOS feature. Some bought the ps3 for that specific purpose to have it removed at a later day. Cost sony a bit of $ and reputation at the time.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OtherOS

Its a catch-22. They're adding features but to add features, you have to remove some due to hardware limitations.

Agreed the software has been buggy the last couple versions but maybe its because this work they've been doing? 

CM1100->RAX200->GS716v2->RBR50->RBS50-RBS40V-RBS50Y
Message 7 of 35
Highlighted
Tutor

Netgear really screwed the pooch with this one.

This means I need a replacement to get my media server back up and running and it will not be a Netgear product. All the time and money spent getting everything working properly after purchasing a product with the features I wanted , only to have them removed has left a bad taste in my mouth that I dont think I will ever get out.

If anyone else has started shopping for a non netgear replacement they can show their support for netgears bad decisions by posting it here.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 8 of 35
Highlighted
Master

@redtoe wrote:

Netgear really screwed the pooch with this one.

This means I need a replacement to get my media server back up and running and it will not be a Netgear product. All the time and money spent getting everything working properly after purchasing a product with the features I wanted , only to have them removed has left a bad taste in my mouth that I dont think I will ever get out.

If anyone else has started shopping for a non netgear replacement they can show their support for netgears bad decisions by posting it here.

Why RESTRICT this to the R7000? NG, in its INFINITE WISDOM (or maybe it should be 'INFINTESIMAL') has just released NEW R8000 F/W with the removal done on it. The net it seems is to put in a 90 day free BitDefender Armour in the features it replaced. After the FREE time, you can caugh up $79 a year to keep it current or have the f/w minus what you had before (hopefully with working fixes).

This list of unhappy users will probably grow once the other off-shots of the R7000 and R8000 get 'Armoured'!

I'm basically using DLNA, but I can't seem to find any other router that claims to have a DLNA server? Have you? I think VLC can work without a DLNA server off of the Network, but my SmartTV can't... needs that server. I know I can probably do that using Windows and share the USB drive, but that has its own problems, like leaving the PC on.

Message 9 of 35
Highlighted
Luminary

The alternative is to use a NAS that supports DLNA. That's what I do.
Message 10 of 35
Highlighted
Master

@yddtime wrote:

Yes, know that, and had looked into that before. However it isn't really cost effective. NAS (w/o a drive) and a drive will exceed the cost of almost any router.

Most of my DLNA server use is on a Smart TV and iPad's. They have DLNA clients, the Smart TV built-in. PC's can handle files based on extension, but those others can not. Looking at pure spec's finding a router tha states DLNA server is hard to find. TP-Link has some (https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1005/) but I didn't investigate further. From reports I've seen on the forums (https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/32) they run I sort of think Netgear (or the 3rd party Netgear uses) makes the f/w for them?

Message 11 of 35
Highlighted
Master

@IrvSp wrote:

@yddtime wrote:

Yes, know that, and had looked into that before. However it isn't really cost effective. NAS (w/o a drive) and a drive will exceed the cost of almost any router.

Difference is my NAS has seen me through multiple routers and I do not have the issues folks do with USB on a router. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 12 of 35
Highlighted
Luminary

Exactly. It's always a compromise to use multi purpose devices. I like to get separate dedicated devices that exactly meet my needs. Upgrades are less wasteful as well since you aren't throwing away the other functions that didn't need upgrading.
Message 13 of 35
Highlighted
Master

@yddtime wrote:
Exactly. It's always a compromise to use multi purpose devices. I like to get separate dedicated devices that exactly meet my needs.

Of course. However a router with DLNA met my needs. It was NOT a compromise. My external drive has moved onto 3 routers. In my case it is the drive that is the 'dedicated' service.

Now if there were other needs for a NAS, different story. I already had some External drives sitting idle and those are now the backup drives on each PC. Could I have used a NAS, sure, but it never was a question of did what I have not work (until now). Some decisions was made a long time ago too. Today's PC's are much faster too, before a LAN back-up was a 'time consuming' process compared to today's locally on a PC.

NAS has its place, but you don't go out and buy something that isn't always required and is overkill when 'simple' works fine.

Do as you wish, but it worked for me... and may still work... but I might be looking at a different router. I hold ZERO confidence NG will realize its blunder and correct it.

Message 14 of 35
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I haven't updated my firmware in over a year.  It works.  The chances of a security vulnerability, that is fixed by the latest updates, is so small that I'm happy to take that risk.  I'm not happy to update to an inadequately-tested, buggy, alpha-version firmware release that removes much of the functionality that I need and use.

Keith

(2xWNR2000, 3xWNCE2001, FWAG114, FS116, GS116, 6xR7000)
Message 15 of 35
Highlighted
Luminary

If that works for you then great. I'm just saying that with a separate NAS I'm not limited to only routers that support DLNA and USB drives when it comes time to upgrade or replace. I've gone from D-Link to Negear to ASUS routers and I'm still using the same NAS.
Message 16 of 35
Highlighted
Master

@yddtime wrote:
If that works for you then great. I'm just saying that with a separate NAS I'm not limited to only routers that support DLNA and USB drives

I'm happy for you that your prior decision means that Netgear's decision doesn't have any ramifications for you. In my case, and many others, and it isn't only DLNA's removal either, does force us to reconsider if we want to keep our current router investment. Those that use Tivo, Time Machine, and the other features that were removed, and these routers PURCHASED because of those features, that are in this position. Not why the removal of these features doesn't have any bearing on you.

Message 17 of 35
Highlighted
Luminary

@IrvSp wrote:

'm happy for you that your prior decision means that Netgear's decision doesn't have any ramifications for you. In my case, and many others, and it isn't only DLNA's removal either, does force us to reconsider if we want to keep our current router investment. Those that use Tivo, Time Machine, and the other features that were removed, and these routers PURCHASED because of those features, that are in this position. Not why the removal of these features doesn't have any bearing on you.

Well I already reconsidered my investment in the R7000. The feature that was removed for me was the ability to connect my devices. That's kind of a deal breaker for routers. I bought an Asus RT-AC86U a month and a half ago and it's been zero maintenance since then.

I chimed in on this thread to suggest an alternative to depending on the router for DLNA. I'm not sure why you are getting all worked up about that.

Message 18 of 35
Highlighted
Master

@yddtime, not getting worked up about it, but this thread is about how some of us got screwed by NG, R7000 and R8000's now, and I suspect the list will grow.

Tell me about other router's to get, fine, but not how I could get something to add in at extra cost to do what I want, nor that you had done it so this didn't bother you.

As for the Asus RT-AC86U, all I can see on the Asus page is that it had Time Machine. Does it have a DLNA Server? Although I am looking for a Tri-band, vs. a Dual-band.

Message 19 of 35
Highlighted
Apprentice

I reverted back to the .42 firmware, and now I need to restart my router every 2-3 days as the internet just goes out. Light stays white, and wifi/lan are all connected but no internet.

Begining to sound like forced obselescense to me.  Anyone have suggestions for another brand? One that takes updates more seriously.

Message 20 of 35
Highlighted
Master

@Global_Saffer wrote:

I reverted back to the .42 firmware, and now I need to restart my router every 2-3 days as the internet just goes out. Light stays white, and wifi/lan are all connected but no internet.

Begining to sound like forced obselescense to me.  Anyone have suggestions for another brand? One that takes updates more seriously.

If you did not do a reset and reconfigure try that. Flashing/changing from one version to another seems to cause issues with Netgear firmware. 

I personally went away from consumer grade as they all seem to have issues. Maybe Asus and Linksys less then Netgear??? 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 21 of 35
Highlighted
Apprentice

Thanks @myersw I did the ol' reset out of habit after I reverted. Ja I wonder if maybe I'm just expecting too much out of this thing and need to consider business grade equipment.  

Message 22 of 35
Highlighted
Tutor

I got it working today. And to be honest with you I am not even 100 percent sure what I did that made it start working. I now have an icon called netgear media server listed in network locations. I am able to see all my media files that are on my R7000 hard drive, as well as watch my media from my pc, Samsung tv and the ps4. And yes I am on the newest firmware that suposedly removed dlna.

I was trying to find a workaround to view my media using vlc media player not as a client but as a dlna media server ( Still not sure if thats even possible ). The steps I took were to open the VLC view menu and select playlist. From there i selected universal plug and play from the local network section. After a few minutes vlc began populating all my local media servers and low and behold there was one called netgear media server. When I selected it all my hard drive media showed up. From there I went to This PC and under network locations there it was. However every time i clicked it i was directed to netgears website instead of my files. 

What I did next was to open network and sharing center from control panel and found media sharing turned off. I turned it on. Then under change advanced sharing settings I turned on network discovery and put a check mark on turrn on automatic setup of network connected devices. 

When I returned to This PC and clicked on my netgear media server it took me to my files instead of to netgears website. Everything now works.

As a disclaimer I will tell you I am probably one of the least experianced people on this site when it comes to networking and such. Exactly what effect the changes I made had to do with things starting to work I can't say. I only post this in the hopes it may help others get things going and possibly remove any of the steps I took that may be unnessary.

Good luck .

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 23 of 35
Highlighted
Master

Not too sure what you really did? I'm not about to experiment and mess with my R8000 which also had those features remoeved. Going back to older f/w sometimes can be a chore.

I suspect that Windows itself would go by the file extension and once 'clicked' (even in Windows Explorer on the network share) would open the proper application to play that particular file.

VLC seems to have its own DLNA Server built-in I think? So might other programs.

Problem have is not the PC where I'd have no problem playing the original media on anyway.

It is on a Smart TV and our iPad's this becomes a problem. They seem to require a DLNA server. The use DLNA Clients to play the media. I suspect I can share the drive as a drive letter to the PC and start the DLNA media server there and access it vs. the USB router drive. However that might require the PC running when I want to do that.

Still, a feature used by many was taken away from us and exposed us to never updating to get Security and other fixes or f/w additions in the future.

Message 24 of 35
Highlighted
Apprentice

Customers: We like this feature!

Negear: <issues firmware update> What feature?

Message 25 of 35