Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DNS HELL

IHateArmor
Guide

DNS HELL

Ever since "upgrading" to V1.0.4.76_10.1.82.    The new "Armor" security is causing DNS nightmares.   It is slow and constantly block sites and downloads.   I can't even download an older version of the firmware to get back to normal functions.

Netgear needs to get that crap off their routers or its the last product I ever buy from them.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
IHateArmor
Guide

Re: DNS HELL

I've been using Netgear for two decades.  This is by far the worst experience I've had with their products.

As an experiment I did the following steps:

downgraded V1.0.4.52_10.1.67

Disabled Armor - DNS issues went away

Re-updated to firmware V1.0.4.76_10.1.82 - DNS issues came back

downgraded again to V1.0.4.52_10.1.67 - DNS issues went away.

A can confirm at least on my model V1.0.4.52_10.1.67 is not working properly. 

Netgear needs to get rid of Armor.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 12

All Replies
IHateArmor
Guide

Update:   Downgraded to firmware V1.0.4.52_10.1.67 and the DNS issues are better.      Looks like firmware V1.0.4.76_10.1.82 is complete junk.

Message 2 of 12
plemans
Guru

We've seen the dns issue across multiple product lines after this latest round of updates. 

I'm sure netgear is aware of it but they don't release when fixes or if there aware of issues until the fixes actually happen. 

Message 3 of 12
IHateArmor
Guide

I've been using Netgear for two decades.  This is by far the worst experience I've had with their products.

Re-updated to firmware V1.0.4.76_10.1.82 - DNS issues came back

downgraded again to V1.0.4.52_10.1.67 - DNS issues went away.

A can confirm at least on my model V1.0.4.52_10.1.67 is not working properly. 

Netgear needs to get rid of Armor.

Message 4 of 12
plemans
Guru

I'm not a huge fan of armor and don't use it. so you won't see me protesting removing armor. 

But if its not working, even with armor disabled, its not armor causing it. 

Its the dns issue we've seen across multiple product lines. 

I'd have to bet Netgear is working on it because it wasn't just one product hit with it but we don't have any official word from netgear. 

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re-updated to firmware V1.0.4.76_10.1.82 - DNS issues came back < Not working. Was Armor disabled here as well? 

downgraded again to V1.0.4.52_10.1.67 - DNS issues went away. < Working. Was Armor disabled here as well? 

A can confirm at least on my model V1.0.4.52_10.1.67 is not working properly. Do you mean V1.0.4.76 doesn't work as you reported v52 working?

Message 6 of 12
IHateArmor
Guide

"Do you mean V1.0.4.76 doesn't work as you reported v52 working?"

V1.0.4.52_10.1.67 does not have any DNS issues as long as Armor is turned off.   

V1.0.4.52_10.1.67, regardless of Armor on/off, has DNS problems.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

So with V1.0.4.76, doesn't work at all with or with out Armor enabled? 

Message 8 of 12
IHateArmor
Guide

Correct.   I suspect that Armor is still interveneing, even if it is turned off.   The reason for the impression is that there is a huge lag time when resolving an uncached DNS entry.   My browser will initially report DNS_PROBE_POSSIBLE then evenually display the website once the address is resolved.    However, there are sites that will not resolve.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

One check on this would be to do a factory reset and setup from scratch and not enable Armor and check DNS...

Message 10 of 12
GeoFisher
Initiate

I have the same problem............what a PIECE of GARBAGE.........total GARBAGE.

My Netgear went from being one of the best products around to a piece of steaming SHEITE.

FIX IT , or I will never own or recommend Netgear again.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re-updated to firmware V1.0.4.76_10.1.82 - DNS issues came back < Not working. Was Armor disabled here as well? 

downgraded again to V1.0.4.52_10.1.67 - DNS issues went away. < Working. Was Armor disabled here as well? 

A can confirm at least on my model V1.0.4.52_10.1.67 is not working properly. Do you mean V1.0.4.76 doesn't work as you reported v52 working?

@GeoFisher wrote:

I have the same problem............what a PIECE of GARBAGE.........total GARBAGE.

My Netgear went from being one of the best products around to a piece of steaming SHEITE.

FIX IT , or I will never own or recommend Netgear again.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 23 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7