DNS servers handed out by the DHCP server on the R7000

itavero
Follower

DNS servers handed out by the DHCP server on the R7000

Hi,

I'm running a Nighthawk R7000 with stock firmware (V1.0.6.28_1.1.83).

It is configured as a router and also runs a DHCP server.

However, currently the DHCP server hands out the routers IP as the only DNS server and for some reason this DNS server is not all that stable.

Also, I do not really see why it is necessary and I would like to user Google's DNS servers.

My question is: how do I configure the R7000 so it will send other DNS servers in the DHCP response (namely, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)?

Hopefully someone can help me get this done, without installing another firmware.

Kind regards,
Arno

Message 1 of 7
netwrks
Master

Re: DNS servers handed out by the DHCP server on the R7000

The version of firmware you are running, has been pulled by Netgear, from their website. You are running unsupported firmware.  Here's a link to the routers manual so you can look up the router settings you are interested in: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM_21Dec2015.pdf 

Message 2 of 7
TheEther
Guru

itavero wrote:

My question is: how do I configure the R7000 so it will send other DNS servers in the DHCP response (namely, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)?

It's not possible to do this.  Most, if not all, of Netgear's routers will only include their own address as the only DNS server.

The only way around this is to disable R7000's DHCP server and set up your own DHCP server where you can control the DNS server addresses.

Message 3 of 7
IrvSp
Master

@itavero wrote:

Also, I do not really see why it is necessary and I would like to user Google's DNS servers.

Hopefully someone can help me get this done, without installing another firmware.

Yes, the router's address is used for DNS, but on the Router's Internet Setup page (Under Basic, Internet on the left side) you can specify the DNS you want to use. You'll still go to the router's IP Address to get the DNS but it will route it out to whatever you set it too, in this case Google.

You might want to check the DNS performance using https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm. In my case my ISP's (192.168.1.1 is my ISP's) is faster than Googles.

Capture.JPG

Message 4 of 7
markpace
Tutor

Just purchased the R6900 this weekend and am suprised/shocked to find that DHCP only provides the gateway address as the DNS address.  My really old wifi router provided my ISP DNS server address or I could plug in any DNS address I wanted and the DHCP server would provide this address.  This seems very odd to me.

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 5 of 7
TheEther
Guru

Yeah, it's too bad that Netgear routers don't have the ability to advertise any DNS server addresses other than their own.  I suspect they did this to insure that their http://routerlogin.net trick would always work and to keep the configuration simple.

I put a request in on the Idea Exchange forum to add this feature (link).  If enough people upvote it, Netgear may consider adding it. 

Message 6 of 7
markpace
Tutor

I've upvoted your recommendation.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements