DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60

0mega
Initiate

DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60

People - do NOT upgrade to firmware 1.0.9.60. This firmware rendered the r7000 semi-useless - AC (5Ghz) network kept dropping every 10-20 minutes, and the 2.4GHz (n,g) connection was super slow.

I tried factory reset, disabling all 'non needed' features' - etc - no luck.

After blaming the cable company for the disconnects and shrinking the device list to 2  (one on 2.4 and other on 5Ghz) - the only fix was to go back to the previous firmware - 1.0.9.42 - which fixed ALL  issues.

Note - on 1.0.9.60 - even hardwired connections would drop. I removed DHCP from the router and went all static, disabled UPNP and routing protocols - nothing worked. 

NETGEAR - get your crap straight - how can you release such a horrible/buggy firmware? Don't you test things before you release (alpha,beta testings must not exist there) - I'm a quite savy network pro - and even I ended up pulling my hair out, so think about the non-tech savy user's experience (that's how you lose customers for life). 

Releasing flawed firmare like this is basically begging people to go to Tomato...

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 86
schumaku
Guru

Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60

Well, I've asked why 1.0.9.60 wasn't revoked completely instead of just disabling the live update. 

Message 2 of 86
myersw
Master

@schumaku wrote:

Well, I've asked why 1.0.9.60 wasn't revoked completely instead of just disabling the live update. 

@schumaku

And that is a wonderful question. Just goes along with the other WONDERFULL ???? support that Netgear provides. If you are going to remove you remove from all sites not just the router update site. netgear is being run by idiots right now with no improvement in site. 

Keep up the dog pics though. Also fascinated by the woman with no arms going about her daily routine. Cannot begin to imagine how she does all the things she does and seems so effortlessly.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 3 of 86
chert
Apprentice

Been using this new firmware for the last 3 days.

No probs at all. No connection drop outs in both wifi and wired clients.

Both wifi frequencies (2.4G and 5G) are working well and no drop offs in signal.

If you're using Smart Connect, disable it. It may be the reason for your wifi signal drop offs.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 86
JJNorcal
Tutor

I've been on .60 for about 6 days now with no problems at all.  I am running in AP mode, with shared SSID for both radios, and with smart connect disabled.  That said, I was on .42 for weeks with no problems (same configuration), and out of the blue I started having dropouts and/or reboots which was not corrected by a power cycle reboot.

Message 5 of 86
Jeffjank
Aspirant

Interesting I had .42 was working great and than as you mention it started dropping. This is what caused me to than run a firmware update and .60 has been even worse..

Sort of surprised that netgear could even release this given the problems and how quickly they arise after a reboot. They’ve got to have a horrendous dev/test process...

Message 6 of 86
cl0udninja
Initiate

I'm never going to buy a Netgear router again! This firmware makes the WiFi hang on a daily basis. Otherwise it was good for at least a week before. My old Asus needed a reboot like maybe 2x a year.
Message 7 of 86
myersw
Master

@cl0udninja wrote:
I'm never going to buy a Netgear router again! This firmware makes the WiFi hang on a daily basis. Otherwise it was good for at least a week before. My old Asus needed a reboot like maybe 2x a year.

Do not blame you. Had ongoing issues with r8000 and r8000p since sold. I am becoming more suspicious that the primary issue is Broadcom chipsets in routers such as r7000,r8xxxx, r80000p and r9000 and the poor support that Broadcom is giving. I suspect that primary issue is the binary blob the firmware developers are given rather then the code for the drivers. I base this partly on the fact that non broadcom routers do not seem to be exhibiting the same problems. 

I put Netgear on my do not buy or recommend list and moved on. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 8 of 86
dmorganjr
Initiate

I am also having the same issue with these version of firmware. Has anyone from netgear acknowledge this is an issue? I'm getting tired of having the router drop my connections. Everything was working fine with the previous version 1.0.9.42

Message 9 of 86

Greetings,

Mixed reviews and feedback thus far with 1.0.9.60.  Some love it, some hate it. 

If you flashed manually, have reset and configured from scratch without applying a saved .cfg or back up, and are experiencing performance issues...  going back to an earlier build might be best. 

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 10 of 86
Ogverwaerde
Initiate

Same problem here! Been pulling my hair out since .60 upgrade: keeps dropping connections INCLUDING LAN and router restarts frequently! utterly disappointed! wasted so m uch time trying all kinds of solutions like those mentiojned in this thread..AApoints towards this awful firmware update! NEVER AGAIN NETGEAR - your support is also awful!!!!!!

Message 11 of 86
cl0udninja
Initiate

I got myself an Asus RT-AC88U in the meantime, it's faster, and had no issues since. The firmware even supports timed reboots. With Netgear you needed a timed outlet...

Message 12 of 86
myersw
Master

Welcome to the never Netgear again club. 

Sold mine and vowed no Netgear router will touch my network. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 13 of 86
schumaku
Guru

@cl0udninja wrote:

The firmware even supports timed reboots. With Netgear you needed a timed outlet...

Never had the feeling I need something like that in many decades of networking.

Message 14 of 86
myersw
Master

@schumaku

I agree. Why would I want a router that requires restarting everyday. That to me says there is an underlying problem. If I had to do that either via a setting or manually I think I would be looking elsewhere. I never have to cycle my router or AP's. Only time they are cycled is for a firmware update. I sell my mistakes. With current network things just work. I never have to wonder if it is working or have issues, unlike when I had a r8000 and r8000p. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 15 of 86
sanman202
Star

Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with Smart Connect. It was not enabled when i updated the firware. I was getting dropped home devices every 15 minutes or so. Terrible update from NetGrear and by now they should have this stuff down. This is not a new router and also they should do enough testing with different scenarios and users with many home connected items that they rely on should not be the beta testers.  It is technology and sure things will always go wrong but with this type of update there is too much at stake now with all of the connected devices people have. If this was 10 years ago with just connecting a PC or laptop then it would not be as much of a big deal. Anyway, i reverted back to the previous version and all is good again. I dont know why they are not acknowledging the issue and giving the customers an ETA on a fixed update to the latest version. If there are security improvements then sure we'd want to newest update. 

Message 16 of 86
dudley810
Tutor

Same issue for me.  I went to a early version and it works much better.  Waiting for the next firmware to try to upgrade again.

Message 17 of 86
IrvSp
Master

@dudley810 wrote:

Same issue for me.  I went to a early version and it works much better.  Waiting for the next firmware to try to upgrade again.

Me, I'd wait to see reviews of any new f/w coming out of Netgear at this time, ALL routers and combo units...

Since the R7000 fiasco of the .58 being pulled, .60 released and partially pulled, as far as I can tell there has been NO NEW f/w updates. I sincerely hope someone in Netgear management has woken up and is correcting the firmware release mess, but until it starts putting out mostly trouble free (yes, some same problems might be unavoidable) solid releases, I'd wait before applying any.

I am not impressed with the present coding team at all. I've got a Case open for 9 months now that they keep trying to close on me as a Windows 10 problem, which it is not. I keep supplying proof when they try to point to a specific reason WHY it is a W10 problem and they go silent for some time and try to close it with a different reason, on and on and on. Very poor understanding of the problem.

For months I've heard about beta's and they never seem to get released. Suspect many problems found in them and they fix some and break others. Not sure how they (the coders) regression tests firmware they create, if at all! R7000 .58 and the replacement .60 are proof of that.

Message 18 of 86
myersw
Master

From  the issues folks have it seems like regression testing is does it load? Yes. Then post and ship. To be beta code should be ready to ship code that is getting a final test and would work in almost all cases, just shake out that unusual combination of configuration options. It does not seem to be the case with Netgear. Still say it feels like they have gone to an off shore 3rd party for code. 

I would really like to see Netgear management get their act together and start pushing the firmware developers to produce good thoroughly tested firmware rather then the crap of today. They make a decent hardware product and used to be my go to for routers and would recommend. No more to both until they get their act together. 

The Ubiquiti folks seem to have a better test. I run their betas on my gateway, switch and AP's and never have an issue. They have obviously tested before posting for beta testing this includes firmware with added features or function. Looks like their beta test firmware is to shake out that unusual configuration combination and for most folks just works. I never cycle any of the Unifi devices except for firmware update, unlike when I had a r8000 and r8000p. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 19 of 86
IrvSp
Master

Bill, don't be so quick to disparage off-shore 3rd parties. They are usually quite capable in producing fast, quality, and cheaper code than using US or other country based developer/coder's. It all comes down to overview (management) and testing proceedures.

Beta's for NG products appear to be non-existant. Certainly not a call announced for a public beta. As you should be aware, the MS InSider program releases basically 'builds' as they develope the OS, and eventually Release Candidates.

Problem I see now facing Netgear, especially in specific routers, is that it has so many regressions it is hard to manage. I'd bet some are due to older fixes that although fixed the original problem they broke something else. This is probably due to the developer not know the code well and where it could make a difference somewhere else, such as changing a sub-routine called in many places.

As for beta's, well, unlike MS NG has a smaller installed base both in count and in individual models. With something like a router, how many people are willing to install a beta with the possibility of it breaking, and then have to go back with NO real easy way to do that? Best might be a saved configuration, reload an older f/w and the reset and reload the saved configuration, but personally, I do not think even that way might be totally reliable. Of course if I had 2 Rxxxx routers I could afford to do that, one for work and one for beta testing that could easily interchanged. Not many I bet, and I don't think NG is willing (or should be) to send test units to hundreds of people.

Message 20 of 86
myersw
Master

@IrvSp

Not disparaging all off shore 3rd party in general. There are both excellent, good and poor. My impression NG has the poor. In my opinion NG management needs to step in and grab things and get things straightened out. Do you even feel they have done a good regression test before posting. It does not feel that way to me. Hay we got lucky it loads, post it seems to be the case. Basics like device lists don't work, give me a break. Dropping connection to modem and dropping wireless just should not happen if properly tested. These are basics. Maybe things like Disney having issues would be maybe understandable, but as I have said the basic connectivity should be solid and currently it is not. 

Well aware of the MS insider program. Have done that on one PC to see what is coming. On a PC that if it goes in ditch no biggie.Have good backup of it. Typically they work for me, but I do not stress the update. 

I am sure it has to be hard for NG to keep things straight with builds. I wonder if they have one common build and then configuration options for the particular routers. Probably how I might do it if the base code could handle it. Know you have a lot more experience in this area then I do. I have done code, but always for a particular application, not an OS like you. 

As I have said before Ubiquiti puts out beta builds that just work unlike NG so it can be done. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 21 of 86
Aqualung1
Luminary

I thought I was crazy. Looks like I am not the only one for whom 1.0.9.60 wreaked havoc. Will try resetting to factory settings. If that doesn't work, will revert to earlier FW.

Message 22 of 86
IrvSp
Master

@myersw, Bill we just don't know what or why the situation is what it is. At best it is all speculation. Out-sourcing the support, I'd bet most if not all vendors of most h/w and s/w do that. If it just started, the learning curve can be steep. Doesn't do any good and doesn't fix anything if you disparage them.

I am pretty sure Netgear has gotten the message. They seem to have slowed down the releases, started beta's for specific h/w, and I notice on some different models using the SAME release numbers. Good thing to do if the h/w had similar 'insides' with limited difference.

I see all these as positives. I hope future releases will be more stable for more users.

Message 23 of 86
myersw
Master

@IrvSp

Agree that most farm support off the 3rd party, which maybe off shore. Have talked to a few I could hardly understand, once recently. Suggested I was having a hard time understanding and could she get someone else and she transferred me to someone who I could understand. I have had lots better success with organizations that offered chat. Seem to get a better quality rep then. One who is not just following a script. 

I did have a very good experience with Netgear Arlo support. They do not hid their phone number, just hit contact and there it is on the web page. Had a very good tech on phone who was both friendly and knowledgeable. Good thing she was friendly as we spent time waiting for firmware updates before moving on. So not all sides of Netgear are bad. 

I sure hope you are right with Netgear getting the message. As I have said, they used to be my go to and probably would not have the Ubiquiti network today had things gone better when I tried their newer products. With same version across more then one router would suggest to me they are finally using a core and then adding things like drivers. That takes time to get right I am sure. 

I do get a chuckle on this site when I do spell check. Flags Netgear as a misspelled word. Smiley Wink

Guess we have hijacked this long enough. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 24 of 86
Aqualung1
Luminary

Reverted back to previous FW. All things back to normal. Thanks for the heads up! (Netgear needs to get their **bleep** together!)

Message 25 of 86
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements