Reply

Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60

myersw
Master

Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60

@Aqualung1

Glad things are working for you again. Yes it will be good when Netgear gets their act together with firmware.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 26 of 86
yesitsmario
Tutor

Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60

Wow, this update was really bad, had very similar experience as described by the OP. My router was even making unusual noises. Reverted back to previous firmware quick. 

 

My fault for not doing some quick research before updating. 

Message 27 of 86
JJNorcal
Tutor

Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60

I've had to reboot twice now, once after about 10 days due to poor wifi performance, and the second time after about 2 weeks.  I'm still on .60 though, running in AP mode.

 

The second incident was a new one for me.  Most devices running fine, and while my iPhone was connected to wifi, it could not access the Internet.  I realize that there are numerous Internet connectivity causes, above and beyond the router, but after checking the router's device connected list, I discovered that not only was my iPhone not listed, none of the listed devices were connected to the 5G radio.  A reboot cleared the problem as indicated by normal 2.4 and 5G device distribution, and functional iPhone.

 

The second incident made me realize that, because I am sharing a single SSID for both radios, a problem can manifest which I may not notice for some time.  I was assuming that my phone was somehow connected to a "dead" 5G radio.  I wish I took the time to pull up netspot to determine if it was still broadcasting.  My takeaway is that sharing an SSID will work to mask an issue which disables just one of the radios.  Not making any recommendations to do this, just saying...

 

Interesting to see comments on NG's inability to corral the firmware bugs.  I have trouble believing there can be many code paths that lead to degradation of service over time.  And while I'm not sure I experienced a 5G "dropout", I have trouble imagining many code paths that could cause just one of the radios to stop working.  Furthermore, I would expect NG to have a debug build used by development and with at least some QA exposure, with detailed logging, at least syslog to network.  So given that problems manifest using "basic" configurations so quickly, it seems reasonable to assume that they have some idea what is going on.  Yet apparently not.  So maybe the engineers have no access to event logs and have to rely on debugging the problems logically, which can get increasingly more difficult as the code base ages.

 

I guess I'm just venting...

Message 28 of 86
Roomie
Tutor

Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60

I have installed 1.0.9.60 over three weeks ago and have absolute no problems with it.

Never needed to reboot, no drops, wireless 5G speeds around 50 MB/s from cheap Dlink NAS to Notebook.

 

----------

GB Switch, 3 Raspberrys, 2 Smart TV´s, AV Receiver, PC, Laptop, 2 Android Devices

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 29 of 86
myersw
Master

Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60

Glad it is working well for you. 

For some folks this build works quite well and for others it is a failure. 

 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 30 of 86
FiReBReTHa
Aspirant

Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60

Tomorrow I am tempted to try out the latest FW. 

I dealt with a FW failure debacle a while back.... V1.0.4.28_1.1.64 was what I reverted to, it was so long ago. 
I have never rebooted my router aside from the power going out to the house a couple times last year. 
Now I am getting a couple of lag issues on devices so I think I am pushing its capabilities (22 devices connected) so I wanted to optimize what I can out of this router by getting the freshest update. I just wish I could go into it more confidently that it will succeed. 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 31 of 86
dandavey
Aspirant

Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60

I updated to V1.0.9.60_10.2.60 just before Xmas, now wish I hadn't loads of devices dropping out on the 5Ghz range, thought I was going mad until I read this thread!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 32 of 86
wiz2003
Aspirant

Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60

Thank you.

I still have an R7000 but after experiencing major problems with 3 different D7000 routers on 3 different sites I have now switched to Asus instead.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 33 of 86
zonedusa
Aspirant

Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60

I agree .60 caused multiple drop outs, and it even crashed when I was in the admin web page.....this is a faulty, buggy firmware update, so have reverted to previous

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 34 of 86
detonatorFIN
Aspirant

Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60

I also upgraded to 1.0.9.60 and instantly after that my wireless network has been dropping multiple times a day. Hopelly Netgear submits a fix soon.

 

Message 35 of 86
JJNorcal
Tutor

Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60

My router, configured in AP mode with separate 2.4 and 5 SSIDs and smart connect disabled, experienced another slew of rolling reboots.  The router would reboot, come up again for maybe 5 minutes, and then reboot again.  This went on for maybe 30 minutes.

 

The last time this happened, I was running 1.0.9.42 and soft reboot, papererclip reset, and hard power cycle did not stop the reboot cycle.  After upgrading to .60, the problem immediately resolved.

 

This time I was cooking dinner, so I only managed to get in a soft reboot and one hard power cycle, but neither resolved the problem.  But by the time I was done cooking, the router was once again behaving ok.  I ran around asking my family what they were accessing when the problem was manifesting, and all said nothing unusual.

 

I previously thought that .42 somehow corrupted NVRAM (which was corrected by .90 upgrade), but given that the issue resolved itself this time, it stands to reason that I was off base.  Now I think Occam's razor implicates a firmware bug brought out by some sort of activity in one of the 23 devices connected to my wifi network.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 36 of 86
yddtime
Luminary

Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60

I had the same issues with 5G dropouts every 5-10 minutes after the upgrade. 

When the 5G signal drops the SSID disappears altogether for a few minutes. The 2.4GHz SSID remains up during this period. The 5G connection was so unstable I had to roll back to the previous version.

I still have 5G drop outs with the older firmware but they are very brief and the only reason I notice them is because I have automatic profiles on my phone that unlocks my phone when I connect to my home WiFi and locks it again when I disconnect from my home WiFi. I'll be using my phone at home and it will occassionally lock then unlock a second later.

R7000 is in the recycle bin
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 37 of 86
sanman202
Star

Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60

I wonder when they'll have a fix for the latest update. There is no communication from them.
Message 38 of 86
myersw
Master

Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60


@sanman202 wrote:
I wonder when they'll have a fix for the latest update. There is no communication from them.

With the latest track record for having a firmware update that worked being so poor maybe they are stepping back and trying to get things figured out. One can hope anyway. 

 

IMHO, they have put out less then stellar firmware for over a year. The firmware engineers seem to have lost their way, or Netgear went 3rd party and those folks are a joke being played on Netgear. Forced me to sell of my Netgear products due to ongoing firmware issues and I have vowed no Netgear routers will touch my network. Firmware has been garbage and seems to continue to be. Real shame as they used to put out a quality product. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 39 of 86
JJNorcal
Tutor

Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60


@yddtime wrote:

I had the same issues with 5G dropouts every 5-10 minutes after the upgrade. 

When the 5G signal drops the SSID disappears altogether for a few minutes. The 2.4GHz SSID remains up during this period. The 5G connection was so unstable


I was downstairs near the router during my last rolling reboot, and based on the LED behaviour, it appears to me that the unit was actually rebooting.  This is consistent with wifi disappearing from my iPhone until router back up; because I use same SSID for both radios, the iPhone would automatically jump to the active radio should one of the two stay up, and it did not.

Message 40 of 86
Aqualung1
Luminary

Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60


@yddtime wrote:

I had the same issues with 5G dropouts every 5-10 minutes after the upgrade. 

When the 5G signal drops the SSID disappears altogether for a few minutes. The 2.4GHz SSID remains up during this period. The 5G connection was so unstable I had to roll back to the previous version.

I still have 5G drop outs with the older firmware but they are very brief and the only reason I notice them is because I have automatic profiles on my phone that unlocks my phone when I connect to my home WiFi and locks it again when I disconnect from my home WiFi. I'll be using my phone at home and it will occassionally lock then unlock a second later.


Yeah, latest FW is a complete catastrophe. It crossed my mind, however, that this may be intentional, as they may be trying to get people to move on from R7000. The R7000 is at least 5 yrs, old, after all!

Message 41 of 86
myersw
Master

Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60


@Aqualung1 wrote:


.Yeah, latest FW is a complete catastrophe. It crossed my mind, however, that this may be intentional, as they may be trying to get people to move on from R7000. The R7000 is at least 5 yrs, old, after all!

Unfortunately the firmware for their newer routers like the r8xxx, r8000p and r9000 has been less then stellar shall we say. Same dropping issues, etc. 

 

Welcome to the wonderful world of CRAP firmware from Netgear. Could not stand the issues with my Netgear routers and sold them and moved on. Netgear engineering should all be fired IMHO with the crap they are putting out and feels like they are not even testing before release. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 42 of 86
emancp
Aspirant

Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60

Same problem here . Updated to new firmware and boom my router started having problems . Disconnecting constantly, even the wired connection would go down. I did everything, reset , reboot, change WiFi name, password, nothing worked. I reverted to previous release.
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 43 of 86
yddtime
Luminary

Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60


@Aqualung1 wrote:

Yeah, latest FW is a complete catastrophe. It crossed my mind, however, that this may be intentional, as they may be trying to get people to move on from R7000. The R7000 is at least 5 yrs, old, after all!


I doubt that. Anyone driven to get a new router because of these problems would likely not buy another Netgear product.

R7000 is in the recycle bin
Message 44 of 86
emancp
Aspirant

Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60

Yup, i thought about buying another , but the firmgrade downgrade worked. Saved me at least $150 or more ... at least for now .
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 45 of 86
yddtime
Luminary

Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60

My plan was to hang on to this router long enough for the 802.11ax standard to be finallized before getting a new Wifi 6 router

R7000 is in the recycle bin
Message 46 of 86
myersw
Master

Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60



I doubt that. Anyone driven to get a new router because of these problems would likely not buy another Netgear product.


Count me as one. Sold my Netgear routers due to on going firmware issues and vowed no Netgear routers on my network. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 47 of 86
IrvSp
Master

Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60


@Aqualung1 wrote:

 

Yeah, latest FW is a complete catastrophe. It crossed my mind, however, that this may be intentional, as they may be trying to get people to move on from R7000. The R7000 is at least 5 yrs, old, after all!


If you could PROVE that you'd have a good CLASS ACTION SUIT that almost any lawyer would jump on. I seriously doubt this to be the case.

 

This is more likely incompetence on the part of the Support organization, either 3rd party, programmers, testers, QA and NG management. It isn't just the R7000 either. It seems some code is shared amoung all the routers, like the broken Access List.

Message 48 of 86
IrvSp
Master

Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60


@yddtime wrote:

@Aqualung1 wrote:

Yeah, latest FW is a complete catastrophe. It crossed my mind, however, that this may be intentional, as they may be trying to get people to move on from R7000. The R7000 is at least 5 yrs, old, after all!


I doubt that. Anyone driven to get a new router because of these problems would likely not buy another Netgear product.


Just wondering? Have you looked at ASUS, LINKSYS, or any other on-line support forums (many are not even on Vendor sites)?

 

Here is LinkSys's forum on the Vendor site, https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/bd-p/Wireless_Routers. Look any different from here?

 

When my R7000 started to fail I looked all over. Even reviewed the warranties. Nothing stood out as better based on what the public could see. Yes, something might work better, but it could be just luck if it does.

 

I guess it comes down to you want to get something that your need or you just will not buy Netgear because of problems. You might wind up with a different set of problems, you never know?

 

Generally speaking, all Residential units could have problems. Less likely with Commecial grade, but the cost and complexity will go up with that.

 

Not defending Netgear but you have to look at the overall picture for all vendors. If you looked at the link I posted, would you buy LinkSys or other brands that the owner of them have (basically the company is owned by Belkin now)?

Message 49 of 86
myersw
Master

Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60

@IrvSp

Link  you provided seemed to be weighted toward the Linksys WRT series of routers. I have run all of the series at one time or another. They seemed to be suffering from the same issues as the Netgear r8xxxx and r9000 routers. In both cases the vendor supplies the drivers. The Linksys WRT's use Marvel chips. They would at least run Openwrt/lede and dd-wrt both of which were better IMHO then the OEM firmware. Issues I see with both is being tied to what binary blob the chip vendor supplies. One Linksys positive that I do not see with Netgear is being able to communicate with the Marvel driver engineers. It really is a shame that these routers are so hampered by firmware. You look at the specs and they are honken routers. Good wireless spec fast cpus. 

 

I ran a Asus rt-ac86u for a period of time, with Merlin firmware. No issues with it and know others using them that report they just run. It just was not covering the whole house like I wanted. At least it ran and did not have drop issues. 

 

Yes it does come down to luck I guess. It is so hard to pick a good consumer grade router. Therefore the reason I took that next step up. Have never had as solid of a network and best coverage I have ever had of the house. Only reboot is firmware upgrade. I am running their beta stream of firmware and it just works. I think if Netgear would setup a formal beta program they might get things right before posting yet another garbage firmware update. They would probably need to do a little screening of the tester to rule out the bitchier. Before you say something about price, I was able to get the gateway off of Ebay and found good price on the AP.s. All in all no more expensive then a r9000 list and mine just works. Does require some knowledge of networks, so probably be hard for the average user of this forum to setup, but piece of cake for me. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 50 of 86
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E