Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.60

Aqualung1
Luminary

Here's what email Netgear sent out yesterday. Are they even aware that 1.0.9.64 is junk???!!

Nighthawk64.JPG

Message 76 of 86
Frank0
Aspirant

Very useful information. I encountered the same problem with 1.0.9.60. A lot of drop-offs.

I downgraded it back to 1.0.9.42. Still trying to see if there is any problem or not.

Message 77 of 86
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Switched over to a UniFi 8 port PoE Switch and 2 UniFi nanoHD access points. I couldn’t be happier. The whole house is now covered and getting speeds around 250mbps. Did this solution cost more than the Nighthawk, sure. But does it actually work, is expandable, and reliable - yes. No regrets whatsoever.
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 78 of 86
timstack
Apprentice

Which firmware are people recommending instead of .64? I'm currently using .60 and not had any issues with R7000 but I always Lose IPv6 about every 2 weeks with any firmware since buying this router about a year ago.
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 79 of 86
Aqualung1
Luminary

@timstack wrote:
Which firmware are people recommending instead of .64? I'm currently using .60 and not had any issues with R7000 but I always Lose IPv6 about every 2 weeks with any firmware since buying this router about a year ago.

Message 80 of 86
Simondcoleman
Aspirant

I have seen 2x instability problems with .64

1) channel  renegotiation is particularly traumatic for 5ghz (if the radar band channels are in use then a 60sec back off period is required on top of the time required to listen to channels and run the channel negotiating logic 

Even when non-radar channels are configured then it seems to take longer than 2.4

I also note that the 5ghz dropout occurs when other 2.4ghz routers in the vicinity are doing channel negotiation, so there’s clearly some conflict there.a significant improvement obtained by turning the 5ghz radio off. Haven’t had the chance to try it the other way round yet.

2) poor performance if any forwarded ports are being tested for vulnerability by miscreants.

this seems to hog the router more than it should. This is also true if the forwards are on wired side or are just timing out.

so while there are problems with the firmware I would also caution to recheck your own setups and consider possibilities that include those impacting firmware defects, since it is rarely the case it is solely that.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 81 of 86
SSSthreat
Aspirant

I had the same nightmare experience with the firmware upgrade!

And, I went back to ver .42 as you did.

So ... functionality seems just fine now, no interrups.

However ... now when I try to access the router, I get a notice to "upgrade" my OpenVPN configuration package.  That means I have to reconfigure ALL my VPN users - lots of work, and most are remote, so I have no interest in doing that.

Thing is - all my VPN users are doing just fine, no issues ... I don't NEED to 'upgrade'.

If I could just bypass the check/notice for this, and get to the Dashboard everything would be fine!

Any suggestions out there how do bypass?

Thanks!

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 82 of 86
3drc
Aspirant

Too late I did, I have tried and tried to downlaod the older firmware and it will not work for me, I download and then there is nothing that opens to execute! I am at the point of just buying a new router! I work from home and this drpping is drivng me insane!

Message 83 of 86
myersw
Master

You downloaded the firmware. Did you then unzip it? It comes down as a zip file with the firmware file and a txt file. Txt file tells you how to manually install. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 84 of 86
3drc
Aspirant

Finally got the old version to instal but still having usses. Very frustrated, I never had problems until 2 weeks ago.

Message 85 of 86
IrvSp
Master

@3drc wrote:

Finally got the old version to instal but still having usses. Very frustrated, I never had problems until 2 weeks ago.

Quite possible some settings are corrupted. Probably need to RESET the router and then MANUALLY reenter ALL settings.

Message 86 of 86
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements