Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DSL Bufferbloat on upload -- gaming switch? Nighthawk R8000

Burnhaven
Aspirant

DSL Bufferbloat on upload -- gaming switch? Nighthawk R8000

I have 40 up, 5 down with Centurylink DSL. The Centurylink modem is in bridge mode with the R8000 doing DHCP and wireless radios. DSLReports SpeedTest has always shown a poor grade ( "D" ) for bufferbloat on uploads. ( this improves to a B if I limit the test to 3 mbps)
 What would be a good choice for smart switch so I can rate limit bandwidth on a specific device?   The R8000 would let me set upload at 2 or 3 mbps but then it would affect all devices.   The main thing I'm trying to optimize is an online music jamming app called Jamkazam which is running on a specific/assigned IP, hard-wired into one R8000 port.
Note: I saw a suggestion of the S8000 but it seems to be a legacy product now.

p.s. It's possible/likely the bufferbloat isn't impacting our jamkazam sessions since that app has it's own settings for limiting bandwidth, but I'm not sure about that and switches for what I'm trying to do aren't all that expensive.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

Bufferbloat not only depends on the router itself. Very often, it's the modem causing a bad score. I speak from experience when I swapped my old modem for a new one. My score instantly went to A

I'm not familiar with Smart Switches from NETGEAR to recommend one

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
microchip8
Master

Bufferbloat not only depends on the router itself. Very often, it's the modem causing a bad score. I speak from experience when I swapped my old modem for a new one. My score instantly went to A

I'm not familiar with Smart Switches from NETGEAR to recommend one

Message 2 of 3
Burnhaven
Aspirant

I'm not sure how I can isolate the buffer bloat as far as whether it's coming from the modem or the router.... unless I can plug a hard wire directly into the modem to my laptop while the modem is in bridge mode
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7