Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Deadzones

kdavis1210
Follower

Deadzones

So I had a Nighthawk x6 and due to the stupid layout of my home I get a lot of deadzones. I have a 3 level house and there is a stairway between the levels right in the middle of the house. I had my Nighthwak x6 on the middle level which happens to be my living room but then I get some dead spots upstairs where we have our smart tv, I can move it upstairs but then it would have to be on one side or the other and that caused deadspots in the basement in my daughters room and she needs wi-fi for her school projects. Anyone that has tested the X10, how does the signal compare? Are there any extenders out there that would work with the X10 or even ones coming out? I have also seen mesh network adapters like the Orbi coming and would that work with the X10? I am just trying to hook up all my devices and it even seemed like the X6 could not handle them all. I have 3 smart tvs (roku wireless), 5 cell phones wireless, media server hard wired, 3 video game systems wireless, 3 tablets and 2 laptops wireless. I am now on my 3rd wireless router and nothing seems to be able to handle all of the devices even when not all are in use or not have a ton of deadspots. On average what is in use is 1-2 tvs, 3-4 cell phones, media server, 1-2 video games, 1 tablet and one laptop.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router,R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

@kathykit wrote:

Really can help?

Cause I also have deadzones in my home.

Actually even in bedroom also cannot detach the wifi signal.Smiley Sad

Are you asking for more help here?

Is there a question you want answered?

Powerline plugs can bring wifi access to remote parts of your house.

You can read about the technology here:

Powerline Networking | Powerline Ethernet | NETGEAR

and

Product FAQ: Powerline Adapters | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You need plugs that have wifi capability.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

X10 is a home automation protocol.  Powerline extenders do not use X10.  Powerline extenders use HomePlug AV.  From what little research I've done, it appears that X10 and HomePlug AV do not interfere with each other.  Powerline extenders are very much a hit and miss affair.  They work great for some and terribly for others.  Speeds are heavily dependent on the layout of your A/C wiring and nearby radio interference.  You can certainly give it try but I suggest you buy from a store with a liberal return policy.  Ultimately, nothing beats running an Ethernet cable to the dead zones and installing an Access Point.

Message 2 of 6

One advantage of powerline devices, if they work for you, is that you can eliminate the need for wifi for stuff that you do not move around. They can connect over the mains LAN.

This arrangement works fine for me, and with mains wiring that is a good 40 years old.

Message 3 of 6
kathykit
Tutor

TheEther wrote:

X10 is a home automation protocol.  Powerline extenders do not use X10.  Powerline extenders use HomePlug AV.  From what little research I've done, it appears that X10 and HomePlug AV do not interfere with each other.  Powerline extenders are very much a hit and miss affair.  They work great for some and terribly for others.  Speeds are heavily dependent on the layout of your A/C wiring and nearby radio interference.  You can certainly give it try but I suggest you buy from a store with a liberal return policy.  Ultimately, nothing beats running an Ethernet cable to the dead zones and installing an Access Point.

Really can help?

Message 4 of 6

@kathykit wrote:

Really can help?

and

Message 5 of 6
kathykit
Tutor

@michaelkenward wrote:

@kathykit wrote:

Really can help?

and

I get it now!

Thank you for youe help!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7