Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Definitive answer regarding maximum devices

elray2000
Follower

Definitive answer regarding maximum devices

Folks,

I'm new to the Netgear forum and have been browsing the various topics.  Strongest apologies if I've overlooked something; somewhere.

I will try to be brief:

For sometime now, I have been trying to get my 100% Smart Home working.  Sadly, I haven't tried Netgear (due to colleague's recommendations) but several other vendors and models....TPLink, DLink, Asus, and even a few business-class routers.  When I pose the question on various sites "how many devices can I connect?", I get 30, 60, xx, and of course 250.  When I'm able to FINALLY speak with senior engineers from various manufactures, they confess the home routers just haven't caught-up to the demand...I don't buy this.  I cannot be the pioneer; the first to fully implement a smart home.

From various forums, a possible remedy was suggested. Based on this, I jerry-rigged a Linux DHCP server, disabled the wireless router's DHCP, and was  able to exceed ceiling thresholds.  However, due to the processor of the various systems, I found the devices began croaking at the higher connections.  Before you say "this is because of your ISP's limited bandwidth", I beg to differ because: 1. All traffic is local and 2. The various switches, plugs, thermostats, etc installed aren't exactly bandwidth hogs; even with the various keep alive messages....I know, I've tested it.

My dilemma:

Before I embark on yet another failed wireless router solution, I would really like to get a tried and true- experienced answer that 'x' can handle the installation required.  I need to have at least 100 simultanous connections and at this point, I'm willing to pay whatever it takes to get there (< $500 iff possible).  If Netgear can successfully provide the solution as I have outlined, I am elated and apologize that I listened to various colleague and acquaintance recommendations.

I'm earnestly seeking guidance here...if you are not 100% sure, please don't reply.  With all due respect, I can't afford any more philosophy or personal opinions.

Thanks very much

-Lee

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Definitive answer regarding maximum devices

I'd stop looking at consumer gear and start looking at business class setups. 

Might be worth it for you.

there's the orbi and orbi pro system as well but the issue is it isn't recommend if there's more than 60 concurrent users. Supports up to 250 clients but again, you might have issues if they're all working at a time. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31097/How-many-devices-can-my-Orbi-system-support

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7