Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Desactived MAC acces control for WIFI Guest

Arno_pseudo
Tutor

Desactived MAC acces control for WIFI Guest

Firmware version 1.0.2.46

Hi,

I want to stop the acces control on mac adress for the guest. I just want control the mac address for the internal network, but not for the wifi guest ?

How can I do it ?

==

Bonjour,

Je n’arrive à désactiver le contrôle d’accès sur les adresses MAC pour le réseau invité. J’aimerai que le contrôle d’accès fonctionne sur le réseau WIFI Interne mais pas pour celui des invités. Comment faire ?

Merci.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Salut Arno,

As far as I know the Netgear router (any older R6xxxx, Nighthawk, Orbi/Obi Pro for routers and APs) MAC Access Control system does not make a difference between the normal and the guest SSID. C'est un "design" très limité, n'offrant pas de flexibilité à mon avis.

@NaderA@AbhayB and @johngm (for Orbi Pro) - this is an absolute valid use case: Trusted LAN and WLAN SSID for trusted MAC only, guest network for any MAC address - advise please.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

If you have registered all internal or trusted WiFi device MAC addresses, blocking anything else, and find the guest network does only allow the access for the trusted MAC addresses, too - figure, you face design and/or implementation issue. So is this the problem?

Message 2 of 9
Arno_pseudo
Tutor

Is-it possible to allow access for new device (unknow mac adress) for the guest WIFI, and just allow the trusted wifi device for the internal network ?

Message 3 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Salut Arno,

As far as I know the Netgear router (any older R6xxxx, Nighthawk, Orbi/Obi Pro for routers and APs) MAC Access Control system does not make a difference between the normal and the guest SSID. C'est un "design" très limité, n'offrant pas de flexibilité à mon avis.

@NaderA@AbhayB and @johngm (for Orbi Pro) - this is an absolute valid use case: Trusted LAN and WLAN SSID for trusted MAC only, guest network for any MAC address - advise please.

Message 4 of 9
Arno_pseudo
Tutor

It's not a vera bad implementation of the fonction wifi guest 😞 😞 😞

If I know that before buy the router, I never buy it. I specialy read the manuel befor by it, and I don't understant this.

La fonction "Guest" est très peu null si il faut déclaré chaque adresse MAC. Sachant que pas principe l'invité est temporaire donc il faut ensuite aller le supprimer de la liste :(' . Ou la fonction de sécurisation des acces ne sert à rien.

Message 5 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@Arno_pseudo wrote:

La fonction "Guest" est très peu null si il faut déclaré chaque adresse MAC. Sachant que pas principe l'invité est temporaire donc il faut ensuite aller le supprimer de la liste :(' . Ou la fonction de sécurisation des acces ne sert à rien.

Just for the other readers (especially the three users I've linked above)"

"The 'Guest' feature is useless if one has to register every MAC. Knowing that a guest is a temporary thing, you have to remove them from the list if no longer used. Or the access security function is useless."

In combination with the Guest access - afraid Netgear - the MAC based Access Control is useless, indeed.

PS. In a way I don't like this thread is marked with a solution - it's a clear design and implementation shortcoming.

Message 6 of 9
TerryPh
Virtuoso

<<In combination with the Guest access - afraid Netgear - the MAC based Access Control is useless, indeed>>

That is so true, I'm afraid.

<<it's a clear design and implementation shortcoming>>

Will have to wait for another round of FW research/design/debug and implementation from Netgear. It might take a while.

En attendant, s'il vous plait profiter ce que vous avez, mes amis....

Message 7 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@TerryPh wrote:

<<it's a clear design and implementation shortcoming>>

Will have to wait for another round of FW research/design/debug and implementation from Netgear. It might take a while.

En attendant, s'il vous plait profiter ce que vous avez, mes amis....

Just to clarify: I'm not Netgear, I don't promise anything.

Message 8 of 9
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Thanks for your clarification, but sincerely not necessarily needed.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7