Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Desktop Windows 10 Internet connection delay only when doing a RESTART (Nighthawk X4s R7800 Router)

Bill721
Tutor

Desktop Windows 10 Internet connection delay only when doing a RESTART (Nighthawk X4s R7800 Router)

Desktop Windows 10 Internet connection delay only when doing a RESTART. Works fine after doing a shutdown, but RESTART still has Internet
connection delay. I have updated the Lan driver from ASUS my motherboard Mfg. I have restarted in SAFE MODE with Network and it
fails the same way. Not sure what changed to cause this error. It worked perfectly for over a year.
My internet connection is via Xfinity Gateway in Bridge mode to Netgear Nighthawk X4s R7800 Router (Router Firmware Version
V1.0.2.60.

Any help would be appreciated,

Bill

System Specs
ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) 300 Series Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-8700 Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.2 GHz (4.6 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) Desktop Processor
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 11GB GDDR5X Graphics card
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
Intel SSD 600p Series (1.0TB, M.2 2280 80mm NVMe PCIe
WD Black 1TB Performance HD
WD Blue 4TB Hard Drive
Windows 10 Pro 32-bit/64-bit
Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Gaming Mid Tower Computer Case
Alienware - AW2518H 25" LED FHD GSync Monitor
MasterLiquid 120 All-in-one CPU Liquid Cooler
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 80+ GOLD, 750W PS
LITE-ON DVD Burner Black SATA
ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Bill721
Tutor

Re: Desktop Windows 10 Internet connection delay only when doing a RESTART (Nighthawk X4s R7800 Rout

Thank you for the quick reply.  

I'm pretty sure I have it fixed.  When I looked into the windows updates I saw there was a number that needed to be done so I updated them and the issue went away.  I think it stemmed from the fact that I had reimaged the machine from a previous image, because of another problem.   Let's hope for the best and thank you for your input.

Bill

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

Re: Desktop Windows 10 Internet connection delay only when doing a RESTART (Nighthawk X4s R7800 Rout

My experience with this type of problem is basically on the PC, not the router.

I've got one now that doesn't come out of sleep often or delays doing it. I've used different drivers for the device and some work better than others. Problem went with the device changing PC's but works better on the slower PC.

This probably is a clue, "It worked perfectly for over a year." and is this, "delay only when doing a RESTART. Works fine after doing a shutdown,".

In the first case, on 12/21/18 there was a BIOS  update available (https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-X-HERO-WI-FI-AC/HelpDesk_BIOS/). Wondering if you updated to that?

Second case above, well RESTART does NOT reset h/w. If you want to reset the h/w you have to power down and up again. Some 'RESTART' usage can be 'vague'? Some use it interchangeably with REBOOT and POWER OFF/ON.

You also have an Intel I219-V LAN connector as well as Wireles? Not sure which one you are having a problem with? Have you tried an Ethernet connection if on Wireless or Wireless if on Ethernet and see if it still happens?

You did mention "I have updated the Lan driver from ASUS my motherboard Mfg. " but that wasnt' clear either? From the LINK above the Driver tab did NOT show any updates or drivers for W10? Where did you get the file to update with?

Message 2 of 5
Bill721
Tutor

Thank you for the quick reply.  

I'm pretty sure I have it fixed.  When I looked into the windows updates I saw there was a number that needed to be done so I updated them and the issue went away.  I think it stemmed from the fact that I had reimaged the machine from a previous image, because of another problem.   Let's hope for the best and thank you for your input.

Bill

Message 3 of 5
myersw
Master

In my exerience this delay is the wireless driver connecting to the wireless network. This is wireless driver related on the Windows PC and nothing to do with the router. If you click on Network & Internet settings on the tast bar when coming out of sleep mode you will see it takes a period of time before the wireless adapter sees any networks and connects. 

Recently I installed a D-Link DWA-192 1300 USB wireless dongle. Took forever  after coming out of sleep mode to connect to wireless. In my case I went to D-Link site and downloaded the latest driver they had, which was a totally different version number from windows and installed. Now everything works just as I would expect. Come out of sleep and reconnect quickly. 

Sometimes I have had to try multiple drivers, windows as well as vendor before I found one that works for me. Only issue could be windows seeing the driver and thinking it is old and downloading their 'new' one. Can go into policies to prevent, google is your friend. Lastest is not always greatest. Have had to run older driver to get things working as I wanted in the past. 

Message 4 of 5
myersw
Master

@Bill721

Saw your update after mine. Glad you have it working. Sounded like what I was suggesting anyway. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7