Re: Desktop not connecting via ethernet, WiFi not working

Jnobles13
Follower

Desktop not connecting via ethernet, WiFi not working

I recently purchased the Nighthawk AC1900 R700 two days ago. After getting it connected to my Comcast Xfinity modem I moved the router downstairs to my office. The cable connection in the office does not work, my house does not have any ethernet ports, and the phone port is used by the printer. So, I purchased this router to provide internet in this room. After plugging in the router in the office neither the WiFi will work when connected to my phone, nor will my desktop find internet via ethernet. I was under the impression that after connecting this device to my modem it no longer needed to be connected to it with ethernet and I could use it as a wireless extender to provide extra internet in other rooms.

Was I wrong in thinking this? Does this router always have to be connected to the modem via ethernet? 

My overall goal for this router was to have it wirelessly conencted to my modem as to conenct my desktop via ethernet to the Nighthawk router in my office. If it must be hard ported to the modem at all times my only other options are: 1) possibly connect the router to the phone port in my office, and then connect the printer to the router (although I am not sure if this would give internet to the router) or 2) return the router and find another NetGear product that will fit my needs. 

So, did I miss interpret which device I needed to connect to my desktop? If so which NetGear device will help me do this?

Am I just not doing something in the set up right? 

If all else fails am I able to use the telephone line as a makeshift ethernet port to provide internet to my router in my office? 

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4

@Jnobles13 wrote:

Does this router always have to be connected to the modem via ethernet? 

Yes. Unless you turn the R7000 into a wireless repeater.

There is support material, including a manual, for the R7000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> R7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

See page 139.

What is this "Comcast Xfinity modem"? Model numbers always help.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 4
William10a
Master

Two power lan adaptors maybe what you want that would give you a wired lan line in your office via your homes house wiring.

Message 3 of 4

@William10a wrote:

Two power lan adaptors ...

I suspect that @William10a is referring to Powerline plugs. That could be a good solution.

Powerline Networking | Powerline Ethernet | NETGEAR

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements