Device Access Control Not working at all

keashdoc
Follower

Device Access Control Not working at all

Hi,

I just installed the R8000P router.  One of the main reasons I got this was to turn off and on specific devices to limit time on Xbox etc for my kids. 

I installed the Nighthawk App on my android phone and when I turn off invidividual devices under the Device Manger section of this app, they still keep working. Nothing is blocked at all.  

I talked to the NetGear rep and they were not very helpful. Said to reset the modem. I am not sure if that will fix the problem. 

Does anyone have this same issue and hopefully a solution? 

Thanks

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
ryauslin
Aspirant

Re: Device Access Control Not working at all

I have the same issue on my AC2400. I updated the nighthawk app and now my devices won’t display. My wife has not updated the app and the devices still show in the app.
Message 2 of 4

Using an app to control your router can be finicky. The Genie, Nighthawk or whatever they are being called now have proven to be largely unreliable, problematic and frustrating.   

App get update - breaks

Router FW changes - breaks

Try a setting, turn it off - breaks

Can resetting the router and performing a manual set up again fix, maybe.  Would I bank on it, no.  Different combinations of the App and/or firmware might also help, but again no guarantee. 

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 3 of 4
cadd
Aspirant

This is a common design failure of many recent Netgear products. Their idea of "Access Control" is not what you think it is. I had a rude awakening when I also tried to solve this problem after having bought a new Netgear wifi router after 5 years of using an old Netgear that still works with proper Access Control.

Access Control for most people (and for most other manufacturers) really means this: Control access to your LAN and WLAN/Internet from any outside devices, especially the wireless devices that you have no control over.

But Access Control for recent Netgear products really means controlling access to the Internet. Secure access to your home LAN be damned.

Now personally I really don't care if some bad character accesses my Internet from my LAN, because I have more pressing problem with that person already inside my home with wired connection to my LAN. All I care about is some character from outside my home connecting to my LAN through wifi, and given the limited security of wifi, this is more critical. I can easily control Internet access from wired LAN just by locking my doors and windows.

One guess why Netgear is doing this may be because they have a business line of products that does the right thing, but don't want the consumer products to compete with their more expensive business products. What a shame. Well I give that their consumer product prices are quite competitive.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements