Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Device Names change to -- in device list r6700v3 when using Nighthawk App

Device Names change to -- in device list r6700v3 when using Nighthawk App

Nighthawk r6700v3 (though I have seen this problem or similar no matter the model)

Firmware V1.0.3.66_10.0.50

Nighthawk App Version 2.2.9.495

Problem: Customized/Edited device names change to -- 

I have had this router since Feb 4, 2019 and noticed this problem immediately. In the beginning I used the Nighthawk App to set up and manage the router. Sometimes the edited device names would change to -- and I was not sure why or what triggered it. I contacted Netgear support via chat and they had me change the router name to something customized, anything other than r6700v3 and then hard boot. I did this and it seemed to fix the problem for a few days, or so I thought.

After a few days the problem returned and I contacted them back again via chat. To make a long story short, I went through a few techs in chat that had me try various things from factory reset and setting back up, access via the browser ability, enable Qos, disable Qos, and one tech actually said it was a problem with the Nighthawk app and I would have to wait until they corrected it.

I was contacted by a tech that I had been accidentally disconnected with in chat, as a follow up. I updated the case with the information she requested. She then contacted me back a day later with a request for more information. During this time I decided to do some testing on my own. I previously worked for a software company for several years and part of that was in an dept that was between support and QA. We documented defects in the wild, tested them and sent the information onto developement, and then tried to come up with a work around.

I used the browser exclusively for a couple of days and there was no problems

I used the Nighthawk app to pause a device that was named and it changed to -- right in front of my eyes. I checked the browser and it showed changed via it as well. I tested this several times. Results of this testing were: Anytime I paused or resumed/allowed a named device using the Nighthawk app it changed. Using the browser to pause or allow it did not change.

My previous router I used Netgear Genie do I downloaded this app again and tried it. It could pause, unpause, edit names without an issue.

I tried various combinations of pause/block and allow/unpause and only when the Nighthawk app was used does the device name change to --.

Qos on or off did not seem to have an effect. I will be turning it on soon and tuning for gaming. If there are any changes I will post to this topic.

Renaming the router had no effect in conjunction with using the Nighthawk app. The problem always happened using the nighthawk app and pausing/allow devices in the list.

Resetting router I checked for the issue before updating the firmware to the current and the problem happened only with the nighthawk app.

The problem seems to happen with just the Nighthawk app, likely it has to do with whatever file holds the device names and associated information. I would think that this would be kept in a simple log file and the issue is with the type of admin access the Nighthawk app is given or how it writes/retrieves the file. It really does not seem like a problem that would take a lot to correct, other than the Nighthawk app was developed by a different team than the Genie and the integration with the browser.

Work around: Just do not use the nighthawk app. The extra features it has are great but nothing in it do I see absolutely needed within the app. I use the browser integration and the Genie app.

Suggestions:

1) I bought the lowest end Nighthawk to see how well it works and to be able to remote manage my router. I have kids and sometimes their devices need to have internet access cut off when I choose, and not just on a schedule. I told at least two of the techs that this is the reason I got this router. The only solution I was given was to access the router via a web browser when I am away from home but I notice the Genie has this function. 

2) Further developement of the apps should allow support required information to be automatically sent to support when contacting them. Firmware version, App version, etc.

3) Better training of the techs so that a customer is not repeating themselves, and so that all information is kept in the same case number. Each tech I contacted opened a new case. That makes it more difficult for the tech to see everything that has been done before.

4) Give Loren (the tech that is still in contact with me) a raise or promotion. Our chat session got cut off just after me explaining the situation and she contacted me back to see if the problem was resolved. Not a single other tech showed that concern.

5) The tech that told me it was the app should ahve also told me I could use the Genie app instead.

6) This needs to be made into a bulletin and sent out to the techs once it is verified.

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Ignore all of the above. The problem has returned and the Nighthawk app has not been used.

Message 2 of 9

This is actually the R6700v3 but the forum does not have that as a selection in the drop down.

I have been working with a very awesome support rep at Netgear support named Loren. Loren is 1 of 6 support reps that I have dealt with, they are the only one to send an email asking for follow up, and they are advocating for me like a good customer service person should. We have tried the following solutions that have not worked:

1) Reserve an IP for the devices that the device name disappears for. The device name stays in the LAN set up area where you reserve the IP's but not in access control.

2) Have tried managing using just the browser.

3) Renamed the router to something other than r6700v3, which is the default. Then we hard booted.

4) Reset to factory defaults.

5) Regressed firmware and tested at each stage.

The problem only happens when you pause/resume internet access for a device. It changes from whatever you customized the name to, back to -- .The problem only happens when you use the browser or Nighthawk app. The Nighthawk app pulls the device names from the router, so when the problem happens it changes the device name appearing in the browser or the Nighthawk app.

Now here is what worked for me as a work around. The mobile Netgear Genie app seems to keep it's own list of device names in the app. I can remotely manage internet access using it. The name you put into the Genie app, can be different than what is seen through the browser or the Nighthawk app.

The problem is with the router firmware. Where ever it stores the device names, it allows them to be editted back to -- whenever you pause the internet for a device. I would think the names would be kept in a simple .log file but I have no clue how they have their firmware structured. 

The support case is still open and they asked for screen shots of all the areas, which I sent them and I sent a screen shot of the network map with device names in the mobile Genie app. I assume someone wants proof that this is happening or to make sure they clearly understand what I am describing.

I will update this topic as I get updates from Netgear support and time allows.

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 9

This will be the last update.

Loren, at Netgear support contacted me and gave me alternate directions to submit a bug report. This alternate method had to do with me opening the app and shaking my phone, and the instructions stated that a window to submit a bug report would pop up. I did not try these directions, as I discovered the work around for the issue (at no cost to Netgear).  They did say that they hoped the issue would be corrected in future releases, so that is admitting that it is a program defect.

So, if you are having issues with device names missing from access control just get the Netgear Genie App and customize the names in it. Those stay and do not revert back to -- . Also, I selected these devices to reserve IP addresses for and those customizations did not stay when using the browser. The Genie App does not allow you to reserve IPs, so I do not know what the work around for that would be.

Not sure why they did not create a simple .txt or .log file to store this information and have the system pull that information when accessing. It really is a simple thing.

Message 4 of 9

I thought the previous post would be the last one, but the saga continues.

I posted on  Netgear Ad on Facebook and they replied to send them the case number. I did so and in a couple of days was contacted by someone that said they had been assigned the case. They said they repeated the problem there and was passing on the results to the appropriate department. Doesn't help me much but maybe an update will help someone in the future.

To add to the issue, the work around of using the Netgear Genie App no longer works as of today. The Nighthawk routers no longer support the Genie app, so you must use the Nighthawk app or the web browser interface. 

Synopsis: Netgear support in general does not work towards a solution for their customers. Out of several agents, only one took the issue seriously and persued it as a customer advocate should. Then the only thing they could do once they duplicated the issue there, is pass the buck on up the line to development. Add to that, Netgear as a company needs to rethink how their development department makes decisions on whether certain software is continued to be supported or not, on their current devices. The Netgear Genie seems to be a solid app, while the Nighthawk app seems to be very buggy. 

After being a Netgear customer for over a decade, it seems that I will be looking elsewhere for my next router. I do hope that someone that can make changes looks at the rational customer complaints, and does so objectively.

Message 5 of 9
davemac327
Initiate

Have seen this the entire time I've owned my nighthawk router. It's ridiculous that it's never worked, and I always apply the upgrades. Doesn't instill a lot of confidence in their ability to write software. I tell my friends to stay away from Netgear. Won't buy again.
Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 6 of 9
myersw
Master

@davemac327 wrote:
Doesn't instill a lot of confidence in their ability to write software. I tell my friends to stay away from Netgear. Won't buy again.

Good plan. Netgear seems to have lost their way when I comes to firmware. I would not recommend to even my enemy much less a friend. Hopefully management will wake up and do what is needed, which in my opinion is to fire and start over with the firmware engineers. Could not be any worse. 

Message 7 of 9
Lonewolf2nd
Aspirant

Great to see that Netgear fix their problems........
What the F. this is a post from 2019, I even found posts with the same issue from 2018.
Yet here I am searching for a solution for this renaming issue thing in 2022.

Note: using the latest firmware and nighthawk app on R8000p nighthawk router.
Message 8 of 9

My solution was to change to a different manufacturer and have all my business clients change as well. Support never gave a solution, 4 different appointments to call me and connect to my PC so they can see what it is doing but they never confirmed a date and time via email, it just got passed to another tech. Tried getting their attention by posting screenshots of my issue and my contact info on the Nighthawk FaceBook page and all they did is block me. I even wrote a snailmail letter and no response.

What is sad is that I have been a Netgear Customer since 2007 and anytime my customers needed a switch, router, etc. I recommended Netgear. 

Hope you find a solution. Sorry I could not be more help.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 15 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7