Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Device limit issue

tron76
Tutor

Device limit issue

I purchased this router in January.  Worked great until I got more than 15 devices connected.  Once I  started to get more than this, devices would show they were connected to the router but without internet.  If I disconnected (Turned off and on) the device, it instantly had internet again.  Netgear hasn't given me a solution that works yet (change DNS, update firmware, Factory reset, Change channels) so I'm rather frustrated.  These are the only routers I've used the last 15+ years, so I can hardly believe this has been going on for 2 full months.  Any ideas? 

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: Device limit issue

What firmware version are you currently on? 

What modem is it connected to? 

Message 2 of 11
tron76
Tutor

Currently,  1.3.2.124, but I've also used the latest and 2 Versions before.  The modem is a Motorola.  It is fine because I used the old modem today and worked fine. 

Message 3 of 11

@tron76 wrote:

The modem is a Motorola. 

That is a brand, not a model. Motorola has made many modems over the years.

Message 4 of 11
plemans
Guru

Like @michaelkenward said, motorola is a brand. What actual model is it? 

Another thing to try would be the downgrade. You only went down 2 versions. And you didn't put if you reset afterwards. If I was going to recommend a firmware for the R7000P it'd be the 1.3.0.20 version. Its the version prior to netgear armor. 

If changing firmwares, I'd recommend doing using a hardwired connection, a factory reset afterwards, and to make sure not to install using a backup configuration. 

Message 5 of 11
tron76
Tutor

It's a Motorola E31T2V1.  Didn't think it mattered since the issue only showed up after iConnected more devices. 

Message 6 of 11
tron76
Tutor

@plemans Thanks!  I'll try that version as soon as I can. 

Message 7 of 11
tron76
Tutor

Thanks for the advice, but now it won't connect and I can't get a direct connection to the router to work either.  Hopefully they fix this in the long run, but I will use my old router until I can get another brand.

Message 8 of 11

@tron76 wrote:

Thanks for the advice, but now it won't connect and I can't get a direct connection to the router to work either.  Hopefully they fix this in the long run, but I will use my old router until I can get another brand.

From your description, and the discussion so far, it is hard to tell what might need fixing. The behaviour you see is not common and suggests some sort of problem at your end.

Fifteen devices is nowhere near the limit.

How many clients can you connect wirelessly to a NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 9 of 11
tron76
Tutor

@michaelkenward Yeah, I thought it was on my end at first, but I checked the cable modem and plugged in my old Netgear and it worked perfectly, so this leads me to believe the issue is in the device.  The only OS I didn't test was Linux, so it was an issue on Windows 10, iOS, MacOS, various Android, and ChromeOS.  I know 15 is not near the limit and neither is the 20ish devices I was trying to use.  I did find this to be an issue with others on other forums.  I don't know, but I've already committed almost 10 hours to fix it, so I'm moving on to a different brand, unfortunately.

Message 10 of 11
plemans
Guru

Did you try the firmware I recommended? 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements