Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices drop off after upgrade to 1.0.11.128

Bill-D
Apprentice

Devices drop off after upgrade to 1.0.11.128

6 weeks ago, I upgraded my R7000 to '126 and since then it has run flawlessly.  But less than a day after upgrading it to '128, my Amazon echo dropped off my 5 ghz wifi network.  Rebooting the echo didn't bring it back.  Only a router reboot brought it back.

Another day later my TiVo dropped off my wired GigE wired network and also required a router reboot to come back on the network.  After 2 strikes, I went back to '126 to help determine if these problems were related 'to 128.  I'll post back when I have more info.

Both my upgrade and downgrade were done live without resetting the configuration.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3

Re: Devices drop off after upgrade to 1.0.11.128

@Bill-D wrote:

Both my upgrade and downgrade were done live without resetting the configuration.

That's usually the first thing to try if you have problems after a firmware upgrade.

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

You can reduce the hassle of reconfiguring all those settings by creating a backup of your settings before you reset. Then if something is still broken after the reset, and the new firmware has not fixed it, you can restore the device to its pre-reset state.

You could even try restoring the settings even if the new firmware has fixed the problems, but be prepared for the restore to also bring back your problems.

Message 2 of 3
Bill-D
Apprentice

Re: Devices drop off after upgrade to 1.0.11.128

A reset and manual re-entry of my entire configuration was the only way I managed to get it working solid after many older updates.  However, because that didn't seem to be needed after the last several updates, I was hoping that Netgear's programmers got better.

Creating a backup of my settings and restoring them never worked.  It always seemed to bring back the problem, which forced me to suffer through the hassle of manually reconfiguring everything.  I use many reserved IP addresses.

I also recall that several Netgear updates simply disappeared after being on the site for a while, maybe this will be one of them, so I'll wait before I do anything.  Also maybe another new update version will appear soon that works correctly.  Frustrating.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7