Re: Did I really just pay $200 for a router without WOL??

Roxshot
Tutor

Did I really just pay $200 for a router without WOL??

Say it isn't so. Tell me I'm missing something here.
Message 1 of 13
fordem
Mentor

What exactly are you looking for - routers don't need WoL, WoL doesn't need routers.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 2 of 13
Roxshot
Tutor

With all due respect that's not correct fordem. Wake on LAN requires a static ARP entry for the PC's MAC address. Without said entry the router won't know where to forward the magic packet because it's ARP table clears over time.

This is why WoL will work for a short time after powering off the PC and fail after an extended period of time.
Message 3 of 13
TheEther
Guru

Roxshot, it looks like the LAN IP Address reservation feature doubles as a static ARP feature. You can access it at Advanced > Setup > LAN Setup.

Note that WOL does not strictly require a static ARP. A sender on the same LAN as the target PC may send the packet using a broadcast destination MAC address (i.e. FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF).

With remote WOL, it gets more tricky. The original technique was to use an IP subnet directed broadcast. But IP subnet directed broadcast is not widely supported anymore due to the inherent DoS vulnerability. In this case, a static ARP entry along with a port forwarding rule to allow a remote WOL packet through is the recommended setup.
Message 4 of 13
Roxshot
Tutor

Thank you TheEther, that's very helpful info.
Message 5 of 13
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Another possibility is the Xvortex port of RMerlin's firmware for the the R7000:

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/asuswrt-merlin-on-netgear-r7000.71108/

There is explicit support for WOL in that firmware, in the "Network Tools" tab. I haven't tried it, so I don't know if it works. But if you are running out of alternatives, you might give that a try. I've used that firmware, and it functioned well for what I need.
Message 6 of 13
swaaye
Novice

I have been using WakeMeOnLAN with R7000 for months. It seems to work perfectly with MAC broadcasts. I even have it working over R7000's OpenVPN TAP.
Message 7 of 13
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Swaaye, I agree, for WoL outside my LAN when I am away from home I have only ever used VPN, seems like a most secure method to me.
fordem
Mentor

Roxshot wrote:
Wake on LAN requires a static ARP entry for the PC's MAC address.

TheEther wrote:

Note that WOL does not strictly require a static ARP. A sender on the same LAN as the target PC may send the packet using a broadcast destination MAC address (i.e. FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF).

Correctly used Wake on LAN will always broadcast the "magic packet", a broadcast is required because the host you are sending the packet to is powered off, has no ip address, and cannot respond to an arp request - it is this last aspect that a static arp allows you to bypass, and it is not needed if/when the magic packet is correctly sent.

Note the difference - this is not support for Wake-on-LAN, this is support for static arp - be aware that when you use it, you are "tampering" with the normal operation of the ip stack, and this has it's consequences, it can come back to haunt you later.

With remote WOL, it gets more tricky. The original technique was to use an IP subnet directed broadcast. But IP subnet directed broadcast is not widely supported anymore due to the inherent DoS vulnerability.

To prevent ip directed broadcasts from being used as an attack vector for DRDoS (Distributed Reflective Dos or smurf) attacks, the IETF mandates that support for ip directed broadcasts be disabled as the default, and Netgear, like most consumer router manufacturers does not provide a way to enable it.

This has nothing to do with the price of the router, it's the intended target market - consumers who need to be protected from themselves - you can still enable ip directed broadcasts on most enterprise grade products.

By the way - smurf attacks are only one of the "vulnerabilities" created by enabling ip directed broadcasts, anyone with the knowledge can use it to "bypass" your firewall and "walk" the entire network behind it, gaining knowledge of how many machines, their OSs, etc..

Message 9 of 13
cybrnook
Guide

Does this also explain why I have issues at times "waking up" my sleeping wireless printer when I print a job? Sometimes it just stays asleep and I have to shut it off and power it back on, then it works fine (as long as its awake).
Message 10 of 13
TheEther
Guru

fordem wrote:
Correctly used Wake on LAN will always broadcast the "magic packet", a broadcast is required because the host you are sending the packet to is powered off, has no ip address, and cannot respond to an arp request - it is this last aspect that a static arp allows you to bypass, and it is not needed if/when the magic packet is correctly sent.

The AMD Whitepaper on WOL, written in 1995, states that broadcast is not required (emphasis added in bold):
A Magic Packet frame must also meet the basic requirements for the LAN technology chosen, such as SOURCE ADDRESS, DESTINATION ADDRESS (which may be the receiving station’s IEEE address or a MULTICAST address which includes the BROAD-CAST address), and CRC.
Message 11 of 13
fordem
Mentor

cybrnook wrote:
Does this also explain why I have issues at times "waking up" my sleeping wireless printer when I print a job? Sometimes it just stays asleep and I have to shut it off and power it back on, then it works fine (as long as its awake).
No - you have an unrelated issue, take it up with the printer manufacturer's support team.

Message 12 of 13
Temporel
Novice

swaaye wrote:
I have been using WakeMeOnLAN with R7000 for months. It seems to work perfectly with MAC broadcasts. I even have it working over R7000's OpenVPN TAP.

same here and not a single issue to report.
Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E