Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Did my R7000 just serve me an advertisement? Was I hacked?

ViperMad
Initiate

Did my R7000 just serve me an advertisement? Was I hacked?

I just updated my R7000 from V1.0.6.something to V1.0.9.12. I did it through the Check button in the Router Update funtion in the browser interface, as opposed to download the file from Netgear through my browser and installing manually. After it installed and came back online, I logged in again and then before taking me  to the browser interface, it showed me an interstitial advertisement. Was my router hacked or is this something Netgear actually does?

It was a Disney ad and there was an option for "never show again" which I chose. Then I immediately downloaded the firmware file directly from Netgear and re-installed the firmware. Also changed my admin password just to be safe. I didn't see another ad when it came back up, but I'm thoroughly baffled - I've been in a lot of router interfaces and never remember getting an ad in the process of accessing the router config.

I'm on macOS 10.13.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Venosaur
Tutor

This is Disnay Parental Control in R7000. Log in panel R7000 and go to security and there You can turn on or turn off this. 

Regards 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Venosaur
Tutor

This is Disnay Parental Control in R7000. Log in panel R7000 and go to security and there You can turn on or turn off this. 

Regards 

Message 2 of 3
ViperMad
Initiate

Thanks so much - that gives my mind ease!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7