Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Direct connection to VM Hub 500Mb, with Nighthawk 230Mb

DarkyD123
Aspirant

Direct connection to VM Hub 500Mb, with Nighthawk 230Mb

We decided to bite the bullet and take Virgin Media up on their Oomph bundle for several reason, one being the 600Mb internet access. So did the research and with being a gamer and having 15+ various internet necessary bits of kit opted for the Nighthawk R8000 to cover all bases. The problem I have is it won’t output anything over 150Mb (wired) wireless is the same and that’s expected. However wired direct to the VM Hub3 I can get anything above 500Mb. If I factory reset the NHX6 switch off wireless (just to test) and have one laptop wired to the NHX6 with VM Hub3 in modem mode, for about 3mins it will test speed at around 430Mb then drop to around 230Mb and pretty much stick around there or drop lower and never increase. The Virgin Media Hub (wired) will always report anything from 450Mb and above for the entire duration but it drops when connecting via the NH. I would prefer to manage my own network and like the config for the NightHawk but the lose of bandwidth availability is killing the pocket for the extra spent on the router and VM package deal. I get the same connection speeds when all the devices are hooked up. Can anyone explain or advise the cause for the lose of bandwidth via the NHX6? It has the latest firmware and there is nothing odd configs, no QoS etc enabled
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

running 2 routers cascaded can cause issues. its called a double nat. 

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

1 thing you can try doing if you want both the VM hub and the netgear is to put the netgears IP address into the VM hub's DMZ. 

Of if you only need the netgear, you can either put the vm hub into passthrough/modem only mode or the netgear router into access point mode. 

Message 2 of 5
DarkyD123
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.

The VM Hub is in modem modem (throughput only) to try and solve the issue of double NAT’ing. Tried speaking with VM technical support about the option to switch it off at their end which they either can’t or won’t do. If the NHX6 is put in to AP mode and you manage the VM box (not recommended just due to lack of config/security options) for whatever reason no internet and I don’t really like this option for management.
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Sadly, it wouldn't be the first ISP supplied modem/gateway that didn't function properly in passthrough mode. 

Its why we sometimes recommend the ISP device in router mode (disable its wifi) and the netgear in access point mode. 

Or try putting the VM hub in router mode (wifi disabled) and put the netgears IP address into the VM hub's dmz. 

Message 4 of 5
DarkyD123
Aspirant

Quick update: Placed a TPLink TL-SG1005D 5 port switch between the VM Hub and NHX6 with a laptop also connected. You get 450Mb+ from the laptop when connected via the switch. You get the same speeds initially when connecting via the NHX6. However, connect back to the switch, no network! Connect back to the NHX6 and over time the bandwith starts to drop down to anything from 105MB t0 150Mb, Mean while, connect to another port via the the VM Hub, no network!, Connect to another port via the switch, no network! Connect to the NHX6 (wired or wireless) you get network traffic and bizarley better test speeds now wireless than wired!

Attached quick router stats FYI.

And switching on QoS just to see if it makes a difference despite the 1Gb speed throughput.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7