Re: Disable WPS on R8000

jpldavidson
Aspirant

Disable WPS on R8000

I want to know how to disable the WPS button on my router nicely, is there a way to do this without being nasty to it with a soldering iron (to the plastic switch, then gluing a scrap of metal over it to stop the button being pushed?  I have a very untrustworthy sibling who likes nothing more than steeling my bandwidth instead of using his own, cheap, low bandwidth connection.  Yes, of course I am aware that this would invalidate warrantee.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8

@jpldavidson wrote:

I want to know how to disable the WPS button on my router nicely, is there a way to do this without being nasty to it with a soldering iron (to the plastic switch, then gluing a scrap of metal over it to stop the button being pushed?

That's an oldie but goodie:

Solved: WPS Security Leak - NETGEAR Communities

Can't turn WPS off

There are more where they came from.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – WPS

@jpldavidson wrote:

I have a very untrustworthy sibling who likes nothing more than steeling my bandwidth instead of using his own, cheap, low bandwidth connection. 

If he is using wifi, there are probably other, and better, ways of blocking access.

There is support for the R8000, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>>> R8000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<<

See Control Access to the Internet.

Or lock the router in a well ventilated box that he can't get at.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 8
jpldavidson
Aspirant

No then lol.  Yes, locking in a thin wooden case is probably the best idea and yes, I do know about access control.  I changed from a BT Hub which you could disable WPS on and setup Access Control, but which was providing an unreliable wifi signal according to Samsung support, for my phone.  The proof being in the pudding, the new Netgear works absolutely fine and I havent had any problems since.

Message 3 of 8

Ah. The dreaded BT Hub.

Have you tried blocking by Mac address?

Have you also investigated parental controls?

Be awkward. Start doing some annoying stuff.

Get yourself the Netgear Desktop genie. Set it to tell you when someone connects to the wifi, and then just kick them off.

Have fun. Do things like "block services" that he may use.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 8
amydala69
Tutor

I don't know if this is helpful at all, but on my R6700 if you turn off SSID broadcast it disabled the WPS. However, for some reason this broke my son's Pixel phone wifi connectivity. My Samsung stay connected, however. Worth a try.

Message 5 of 8
myersw
Master

@amydala69 wrote:

I don't know if this is helpful at all, but on my R6700 if you turn off SSID broadcast it disabled the WPS. However, for some reason this broke my son's Pixel phone wifi connectivity. My Samsung stay connected, however. Worth a try.

Not everything is happy with turning off SSID broadcast (hidding network). Windows can also have issues when the SSID is hidden. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 6 of 8
amydala69
Tutor

Never said it was the holy grail of fixes. Simply thought it might be worth trying if it was mission critical. Damn, there are a lot of egos in this forum. FYI, just because someone is a noob to a forum and this particular model, doesn't make them a noob ;-)

(probably was doing this before you were in diapers)

Message 7 of 8
myersw
Master

@amydala69 wrote:

(probably was doing this before you were in diapers)

Probably not in my case. Been doing mainframes and then networks starting in 1961. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E