Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Do I need to buy a modem separately for this router?

JudyLee
Aspirant

Do I need to buy a modem separately for this router?

I just bought a Nighthawk AC1750, model R6700v3, thinking all I had to do was plug it in just like my older WGR614 and it would work the same only better.  Not so much.  When I got to the set up page on the app, all I saw was the wheel of death and it never finished setting up.  So,  my question is, is this router supposed to work without a modem?  We have Atlink, which works off signals that hit the dish on the roof, no cable needed.  I'm just wondering if I goofed and bought the wrong thing and what should I get instead or am I doing this wrong? 

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JudyLee
Aspirant

Re: Do I need to buy a modem separately for this router?

Wow, thanks for the responses y'all.  I was pretty desperate. I'd tried to find help on Netgear, this community and called my provider, googled, even called my brother who is a computer engineer and knows a few things.  I made note of the fact that the old router and the new router looked EXACTLY THE SAME where the connections were, so I decided to keep trying.  I literally just kept clicking buttons until something worked.  I wound up coming in the back door so to speak and did a right click on the router icon in control panel and suddenly I was on the right page and the router was connecting.  So, thanks, I got it set up, don't need a modem for my Atlink, it just needed to be set up correctly and I guess I stumbled upon the place to get it accomplished. Sheesh!!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Yes, you need to hook the router up to a modem via ethernet.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

Some of the broadcast internet services require certain settings. Not necessary a modem though. 

Did you contact atlink about connecting a router to your service? 

are you able to directly connect a pc/laptop (and it work) to the drop from the wireless receiver on your roof? 

Message 3 of 5
JudyLee
Aspirant

Wow, thanks for the responses y'all.  I was pretty desperate. I'd tried to find help on Netgear, this community and called my provider, googled, even called my brother who is a computer engineer and knows a few things.  I made note of the fact that the old router and the new router looked EXACTLY THE SAME where the connections were, so I decided to keep trying.  I literally just kept clicking buttons until something worked.  I wound up coming in the back door so to speak and did a right click on the router icon in control panel and suddenly I was on the right page and the router was connecting.  So, thanks, I got it set up, don't need a modem for my Atlink, it just needed to be set up correctly and I guess I stumbled upon the place to get it accomplished. Sheesh!!

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you got it working and didn't need a modem!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7