Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Do all routers (nighthawk R7000) eventually start to die? (I'm in desperate need of a replacement.)

max55
Follower

Do all routers (nighthawk R7000) eventually start to die? (I'm in desperate need of a replacement.)

I'm currently using a Netgear R7000 with DD-WRT. I've been having a lot of problems lately and have had to reboot several times. This happened to my previous router a few years ago.

Is it true that all routers eventually "crap"?

I'm sure this is also quite old - so it's time to switch to something better. I'm not sure I need DDWRT anymore, because when I'm not at home, I'm connected to many types of wifi (and use a vpn), so I think it doesn't matter if I have it or not.

The budget is roughly $200 - the range has been adequate so far, but I'd want a little more. Since then, new wifi standards have been announced, thus an update would be appreciated.

I play a lot of gaming (mainly LAN, but I have people over who use wifi), so any additional GAMING features would be nice, but I'm thinking they all offer the same thing, with the exception that some have their fees pumped up for GAMING purposes.

Message 1 of 5
wcalifas
Prodigy

Re: Do all routers (nighthawk R7000) eventually start to die? (I'm in desperate need of a replacemen

yes, routers start dying too. Not sure what router to reccommend but you can always look at customer reviews to see what are good possibilities.

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Do all routers (nighthawk R7000) eventually start to die? (I'm in desperate need of a replacemen

the R7000 is a fairly well performing device. 

But all electronics eventually do go bad. 

You could always try to save it by going back to the stock firmware. I've seen fairly decent reviews on it lately. 

Or if you are looking at upgrading, you gave us a budget but didn't say how many devices you wanted to support, what speeds you wanted to support, how big the home, were you looking at mesh systems? Looking at upgrading to AX, etc. 

Details are key as sometimes its better to going with an older generation but mesh system versus upgrading to an AX single router solution

Message 3 of 5
drair0
Aspirant

Hi - I am also on dd-wrt, do you know how to go back to stock firmware? Thank you.

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

@drair0 wrote:

Hi - I am also on dd-wrt, do you know how to go back to stock firmware? Thank you.

You'd want to check in the dd-wrt forum. This is for the official stock firmware and we're not the experts on dd-wrt. Our advice could make the issue worse 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7