Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Do you have to install custom firmware to use NordVPN?

HockeyBrad
Tutor

Do you have to install custom firmware to use NordVPN?

I see multiple posts about people asking how we can use ExpressVPN or NordVPN on our Netgear routers. However, the standard answer is that Netgear supports OpenVPN, and that Netgear routers can be USED as a VPN. That's all great, but it does not answer our question.

Does the built in software/firmware for Netgear routers have a function that allows us to enter our NordVPN or ExpressVPN accounts and connect to those services?

If yes, how? If no, does this mean that we have to go through the risky, beta firmware update for DD-WRT to make this work?

Thanks for the help.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
HockeyBrad
Tutor

Re: Do you have to install custom firmware to use NordVPN?

The answer here is that Netgear does not provide a way to use an external VPN provider. You have to add on to their firmware or erase it to get this functionality.

I had a friend last night ask me which router to buy and now I know that he should go buy a router with DD-WRT installed already, or a FlashRouter instead of buying this plain Nighthawk. It's been a fantastic piece of hardware for two years but the customer base has new needs with cord-cutting and security concerns, and Netgear is not ready for it yet.

View solution in original post

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 5

All Replies

@HockeyBrad wrote:

Does the built in software/firmware for Netgear routers have a function that allows us to enter our NordVPN or ExpressVPN accounts and connect to those services?

You would do well to ask the people who supply these VPNs. They should have their lists of supported hardware.

Netgear will not support anything that requires custom firmware, so this is not a good place for detailed official advice.

Message 2 of 5
HockeyBrad
Tutor

Does the Netgear Nighthawk software/firmware have anything built in that would allow it to use the NordVPN or ExpressVPN?

Message 3 of 5

The only substantial references to VPN in the manual for the R8000 are in the section Use VPN to Access Your Network. But that's not what you are looking for.

The section Set Up a VPN Connection says:

When it comes to "client-to-gateway tunnel", this is covered in the section Set Up a VPN Connection. This says:

"To use the VPN feature, you must log in to the router and enable VPN, and you must install and run VPN client software on the computer."

Beyond that, I doubt if you will get much more here than has already appeared. And you say you have already read all that.

Message 4 of 5
HockeyBrad
Tutor

The answer here is that Netgear does not provide a way to use an external VPN provider. You have to add on to their firmware or erase it to get this functionality.

I had a friend last night ask me which router to buy and now I know that he should go buy a router with DD-WRT installed already, or a FlashRouter instead of buying this plain Nighthawk. It's been a fantastic piece of hardware for two years but the customer base has new needs with cord-cutting and security concerns, and Netgear is not ready for it yet.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7