× Some paid Circle Parental controls customers may be showing free options only. Router firmware correcting this issue will be available ASAP. Visit Status.NETGEAR.com for updates.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

DoS Attack: RST/ACK Scan

I have the Nighthawk X4 R7500v2 running firmware version V1.0.0.26.  It seems like everything, or most of the time when there is a DoS Attack: RST Scan or DoS Attack: ACK Scan, my internet seems to die.  When it seems like the internet isn't working, I log into the router for the Internet, it say Not Connected.  I know the DoS Attacks logs isn't anything I should worry about from other posts, but is it normal for my internet to basically stop working when it happens?

Message 1 of 5
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: DoS Attack: RST/ACK Scan

There is typically a threshold for the attack to be logged, e.g. five attempts in the last 10 seconds. So if you look at the timing of the messages in the logs you can get an idea of the frequency. Most logs that I see posted here have entries many minutes or hours apart but at first glance it looks like the network is being attacked. So what I am saying is the typical log that I see doesn’t show frequent enough attacks to cause the kind of problem you see, but at the ISP level there could be an issue.

Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Aspirant

So should I contact my ISP about it?  If I do, is there anything in particular that I should ask about?

Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Virtuoso

You could mention a couple of lines from the log and ask if they are aware of any attacks currently targeting their network, some ISPs are more cooperative than others so I can’t predict the response.

Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Aspirant

Okay, thanks.

Message 5 of 5