Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Docsis 3.0 vs. Docsis 3.1 for Cable modem router for Nighthawk C7100V

HomeTown
Aspirant

Docsis 3.0 vs. Docsis 3.1 for Cable modem router for Nighthawk C7100V

Does a Docsis 3.1 cable modem router have achieve higher wifi speeds than a Docsis 3.0 device?  Please give an example.

Model: C7100V|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Docsis 3.0 vs. Docsis 3.1 for Cable modem router for Nighthawk C7100V

Docsis 3.1/3.0 is the connection back to the ISP. 

Docsis 3.1 allow a faster connection to the ISP than docsis 3.0. 

For instance, comcast supports 600mbps on the C7000 but 1gbps on the C7800.

The way it'd infuence wireless speeds would depend on which router you bought and what device you're testing with. 

Most wireless devices struggle to reach 600mbps. so it wouldn't really benefit wireless devices a whole lot. Reason why is most wireless speeds are device limited. most wireless devices have 1x1 or 2x2 antenna's built in. It doesn't matter if your router is a 4x4 device because the wireless device isn't. 

The CAX80 is a wireless AX Docsis 3.1 device with the potential for even faster wireless speeds and hardwired speeds. 

Message 2 of 8
HomeTown
Aspirant

Recently all my wifi devices (tablet, laptop, phones) are connecting at much lower speeds (90 Mbps) compared to my wired PC (550 Mbps.)  Is there anything I can do to get my wireless speeds back up?

None of my habits have changed- my router is in the same location, I have the same wireless devices, and I'm using them at the same distance from the router as before (my house is small so no device is ever extremely far from the router.)

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

How are you testing? using an app/browser? 

Have you tried changing testing servers? I've found many times that it wasn't a speed issue but the testing server picking the wrong server to test on. 

Have you tried changing wireless channels? maybe there's interference?

How about wireless channels? are you testing on 2.4ghz or 5ghz? 5ghz is significantly faster than 2.4ghz. 

Message 4 of 8
HomeTown
Aspirant

I've tested my speed at www.speedtest.net and with Ookla's speed test app.  I haven't changed wireless channels; I'm not sure how to do that.  All my devices are on 5ghz. I just assumed it was a speed issue since we're experiencing weaker connections like unclear facetime calls and devices getting forced to use cellular data due to "no network connection" error.  What do you think I should do?

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

Try a different testing site. 

try dslreports.org

or switching servers on the speedtest app. It defaults to the one with lowest ping but that isn't always the best. 

Also, you can download a wireless channel scanner for free usually. Try downloading on and doing a wireless channel scan. 

Maybe there's interference and it needs to be switched. 

The channel settings are on the same page as the SSID password. 

Usually 2.4ghz is set on auto. the 5ghz you pick the channel. 

Message 6 of 8

If you need more help, you might do better over in the appropriate section for your device:

Cable Modems & Routers

Message 7 of 8
HomeTown
Aspirant

I used a wifi channel scanner like you suggested and there's not many others on my channel.  Any other suggestions?

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7