Does Band switching work?

Iacon
Aspirant

Does Band switching work?

I recently bought this Nighthawk router, I think it works well although I am having issues with things like Sonos speakers and Alexa dropping from time to time (may be a Sonos issue).

I’m worried however that its because I have named all three bands with same name/password. I Understand this router is sold on the basis it can operate with the same name on each band, and then ‘band switches’. Does band switching actually work or could it end up just confusing the issue and confusing devices?

Unless you advise me otherwise I plan on going back to three separate Bands. When I do this, any thoughts on best practice for allocating devices to bands? Is it just about spreading them out and adjusting for speed vs. Range of 2.4ghz and 5ghz?

I assume you can't/wouldn’t give devices two or all three bands and let it work it out?

many thanks, Iain

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3
microchip8
Master

Re: Does Band switching work?

I suspect Smart Connect is the problem. I've read reports of other people having issues with it and turning it off. You might wanna try this too and see if the problem goes away

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.88SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 2 of 3
IrvSp
Master

Re: Does Band switching work?

"I’m worried however that its because I have named all three bands with same name/password."

I'm not sure the router will allow it, but if you DID do that, when you go to connect you'd see 3 identical SSID's. So how would you know how to connect to the one you want? BAD IDEA.

"I Understand this router is sold on the basis it can operate with the same name on each band, and then ‘band switches’."

That is Smart Connect OPTION... the 2.4Ghz SSID and password is the ONLY connection available. 'Supposedly' the router with somehow figure out who was 2.4Ghz only, who was a 'slow' 5Ghz device, and who was a 'fast' 5Ghz device and assign the device to the proper SSID band. Original Firmware up to V1.0.4.18 only handled the 2 5Ghz bands, the last handles all 3 SSID bands.

Well, that isn't the way it actually works, and basically if you have many devices, especially if the connect and disconnect often or have a majority that should be on the 'slow' or 'fast' 5Ghz bands, it is worthless as it tries to keep the bands even, not where the should be.

"I assume you can't/wouldn’t give devices two or all three bands and let it work it out?"

Nope, can't do that (as I said they can't see the same ID 3 times, and even if they did, you'd have to guess which was what and assign it to them), and it is the ROUTER that determines where IT wants to put them.

Best advice, DO NOT USE SMART CONNECT!

Next advice, READ the manual on Smart Connect and SSID names.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E