Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Does Netgear ARMOR close ports?

Wi-Ko
Tutor

Does Netgear ARMOR close ports?

I noted today that Norton VPN wouldn't open. Two re-installs including the second time a clean-up of remnents did not fix it. Contacted Norton and the only error code found referred to Port issues. They told me Norton VPN needs Ports 500 & 4500 and wouldn't run without them (no problems in the past). I checked and have only ports 53, 80 and 443 open in the range from 0 to 4500.

For info my O/S is Windows 10Pro and so far I have not installed any games, in fact only Office 365 and a few other application including virus scanner since a fresh Windows install on May 15th. My Router uses the latest firmware. 

The only recent changes have been the usual Windows updates and having clicked IN ERROR on my iPhone in the Nighthawk App on ARMOR just very recently. Have not installed the associated virus scanner on my PC. 

So does ARMOR, (given it now runs on the router) close ports and will un-installing Armor (how?) open them again?  Am still in the evaliation period. I suppost a router reset to factory setting would un-install it if all else fails or has it become part of the firmware requiring a re-flush if I even find that firmware LOL. 

Thanks for any feedback on this. 

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Wi-Ko
Tutor

Update. Spending hours on checking and testing. this Norton VPN issue has nothing to do with Ports 500 and 4500 which are NOT open nor need to be open on any of my devices, nor does Armor which I have since un-installed has anything to do with it. On two other PC's Win10Pro and Win7 on same router VPN had no problem. But the installation left "installation" files on my desktop whether I used there NRnR to uninstall/re-install or uninstall manually delete remnats and then install.

Today I was told to use Window to uninstall and tell the Norton uninstall which opens up to remove all user data. I was then told to download a different new (or very old?) installation file which after installation had 21  further updates - big sizes. This time no installation files on my desktop and VPN did work. It did leave though just like yesterday a visable destop.ini file on my desktop.

Its location reads: “C:\Users\Public\”  so why is it physically on my Desktop. It’s info reads: “[LocalizedFileNames] Norton Security.lnk=@C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\Branding\muis.dll,-601” 

Desktop.ini files while seen in the actually Desktop folder (indeed in all folders) – unless hidden -- does not physically show on the desktop.  And there is a desktop ini in “C:\Users\Public\” with the usual info as well as in the folder “D:\Desktop”.  So why does this NORTON related desktop ini file suddenly show physically on my desktop?. Never noted that in the past. That ini file does neither show up in the actual Folders of “C:\User\Public\” nor in the “D:\Desktop” folder. (N.B. I move all user folders, like Desktop, Documents. Music, etc. the official window method from the O/S to Data.)

Have to find out if I must leave it physically located on the desktop and why? May be it should belong in one or the other program folder under Norton. Or should it physically override the "normal" desktop.ini file in C:\User\Public?

Sorry this issue has nothing to do with Netgear. but since it looked initially when being told of the need for those two ports and the only potential impact was Armor I posted it here. Why would anyone of those experts tell me that untrue port issue? Beats me. Anyway given my previous post I needed to post the clarification. Well it might help others.

The subject can be closed.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Wi-Ko
Tutor

Update. Spending hours on checking and testing. this Norton VPN issue has nothing to do with Ports 500 and 4500 which are NOT open nor need to be open on any of my devices, nor does Armor which I have since un-installed has anything to do with it. On two other PC's Win10Pro and Win7 on same router VPN had no problem. But the installation left "installation" files on my desktop whether I used there NRnR to uninstall/re-install or uninstall manually delete remnats and then install.

Today I was told to use Window to uninstall and tell the Norton uninstall which opens up to remove all user data. I was then told to download a different new (or very old?) installation file which after installation had 21  further updates - big sizes. This time no installation files on my desktop and VPN did work. It did leave though just like yesterday a visable destop.ini file on my desktop.

Its location reads: “C:\Users\Public\”  so why is it physically on my Desktop. It’s info reads: “[LocalizedFileNames] Norton Security.lnk=@C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\Branding\muis.dll,-601” 

Desktop.ini files while seen in the actually Desktop folder (indeed in all folders) – unless hidden -- does not physically show on the desktop.  And there is a desktop ini in “C:\Users\Public\” with the usual info as well as in the folder “D:\Desktop”.  So why does this NORTON related desktop ini file suddenly show physically on my desktop?. Never noted that in the past. That ini file does neither show up in the actual Folders of “C:\User\Public\” nor in the “D:\Desktop” folder. (N.B. I move all user folders, like Desktop, Documents. Music, etc. the official window method from the O/S to Data.)

Have to find out if I must leave it physically located on the desktop and why? May be it should belong in one or the other program folder under Norton. Or should it physically override the "normal" desktop.ini file in C:\User\Public?

Sorry this issue has nothing to do with Netgear. but since it looked initially when being told of the need for those two ports and the only potential impact was Armor I posted it here. Why would anyone of those experts tell me that untrue port issue? Beats me. Anyway given my previous post I needed to post the clarification. Well it might help others.

The subject can be closed.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7