Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does Plex only run off of USB on the R9000 or can it access a NAS?

virtualuk
Tutor

Does Plex only run off of USB on the R9000 or can it access a NAS?

I have a WD EX4 NAS which I currently use to house my Plex content currently running off of a PC.  One of the attractions to picking up the R9000 was its ablity to run Plex, but it doesn't seem to want to work without a USB drive attached.  Does Plex on the R9000 run exclusively off of a USB drive or can it run off a NAS like a regular Plex server?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Does Plex only run off of USB on the R9000 or can it access a NAS?

The manual clearly states USB no mention of NAS being supported.plex.png

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The manual clearly states USB no mention of NAS being supported.plex.png

Message 2 of 9
virtualuk
Tutor

If that is the case then, the manual / spec sheet doesn't clearly state this is a gimped version of Plex (given that Plex otherwise allows access to material on a NAS).

I'm hoping once I have it installed it will have access to NAS content.
Message 3 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

There are several other threads already started on this. It doesn't support NAS.

Message 4 of 9
TheMightyThor
Aspirant

While this may the current answer, I can tell you that this lack of functionality is a deal breaker for me. All my media is on a NAS. The exciting part about this router was to condense my plex server and router into one unit. Since this can ONLY read off a USB, that cannot happen.

I agree, this unit may be useful for people who either:

1. Have a small library and/or

2. Don't care about having their library on a redundant storage unit (stupid)

To the SUPPORT/DEV TEAM: If this were added, I would place my order NOW... until then... no thanks.

Message 5 of 9
clithes
Prodigy

Where is your Plex server currently running?

If its on a NAS, why would you change anything?  The plex server will run way more efficiently with local data storage, especially if transcoding.

With regards to points one and two, there are compatible 4TB hard drives that can be accessed anywhere on your network through Readyshare, which I would suggest are neither small or redundant.

Message 6 of 9
TheMightyThor
Aspirant

I was running Plex off my Synology NAS, but the horsepower is not present to perform multiple high quality transcoding sessions. As such, I moved it to a Mac mini with mounted remote file shares off the NAS.

Unfortunately I have over 10 TB of media files indexed by Plex, so external storage options are limited. The NAS has been a great option thus far, but just can't handle the load with all the other services running on it.

I was very excited about the new router (except the price, but I get why it's priced there). I was really hoping to condense, get a new router and remove the need for an extra server just for Plex.

If you have any influence with future software releases, I would beg you to push for this feature... I'd buy the router in a heartbeat if it could run an unfettered version of Plex and use remote file shares.

Thanks for the reply!

Message 7 of 9
virtualuk
Tutor

Most NAS instances of Plex run like a dog.  I have a WD EX4 and it's useless as a Plex server, brings it to its knees to the point where it can't serve as a NAS any more and needs to be rebooted frequently.

I'm really disappointed that there's no NAS access, now I have a very fast, but ultimately ridiculously expensive for the feature set, wifi router when I was hoping to retire my Plex server.

Message 8 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Currently, the Plex will only work with a drive attached through USB.

Can I add media content from my NAS or a mapped network drive to R9000 Nighthawk x10 PLEX media serv...

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7