Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Does firmware 1.7.0.6 reset settings in R7000?

Before I do the upgrade, needed to know if my custom settings will get reset? I'm on 1.0.4.30.

This way I can SS everything to make sure I don't forget. (Don't think saving the settings and then loading it back works... right?)

Message 1 of 17
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Does firmware 1.7.0.6 reset settings in R7000?

You need to be prepared to do a factory reset and manually reconfigure settings after the upgrade if that is necessary. Hopefully it isn't but you need to be prepared.

It wasn't necessary for me, but then I use my R7000 just as an AP and have a very simple configuration.

Message 2 of 17
Highlighted
Aspirant

darn i didn't realize i couldnt edit my post.

i meant to say i'm on version 1.0.4.30

am i still affected with the vulnerability issue (and the whole will it reset everything)

Message 3 of 17
Highlighted
Master

Those 1.0.4 setting 'will' survive the upgrade but they may NOT be good. Once going up to a higher level it is smart to do a factory Reset and RE-ENTER (not use a saved settings file) ALL your settings. Copy them down (or take Screen Shots) before updating.

Message 4 of 17
Highlighted
Guide

@IrvSp wrote:

Those 1.0.4 setting 'will' survive the upgrade but they may NOT be good. Once going up to a higher level it is smart to do a factory Reset and RE-ENTER (not use a saved settings file) ALL your settings. Copy them down (or take Screen Shots) before updating.

Hi,

I upgraded from 1.0.4.18 to 1.0.7.6 without any reset.

Everything works fine despite a large number of specific parameters...

● Netgear R7000 (Root Router)
● TP-Link Archer C7 v2 (WDS Bridge)

Message 5 of 17
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's best to be prepared just in case.

Message 6 of 17
Highlighted
Guide

@mdgm wrote:

It's best to be prepared just in case.

I agree.

It's commonly suggested to do a reset before and after a firmware change.

In this way, I did a backup and took a lot of screenshots but fortunately that was useless.

Message 7 of 17
Highlighted
Aspirant

I did the firmware update and had copied all my settings beforehand. After the update, I went back and checked and they had not changed.

Message 8 of 17
Highlighted
Aspirant

thanks everyone. I guess I'm ready to take the step of upgrading it but is it better to upgraded via the auto function within the router or download the firmware and manually update?

My 1.0.4.30_2.1.38.1 has been so stable (ever since I purchased it) with 0 issues, I'm worried that this new firmware might cause disconnects or other problems.

Any problems that you guys noticed?

Message 9 of 17
Highlighted
Guide

@xxx4reggie wrote:

thanks everyone. I guess I'm ready to take the step of upgrading it but is it better to upgraded via the auto function within the router or download the firmware and manually update?

I suggest you to download the firmware file and do a manual update.

After update, the updater menu page asked me to update the text interface (for my language), what I did online...

Message 10 of 17
Highlighted
Luminary

Every upgrade i have done i reset everything and start from scratch. This time however just like the OP i'm on a very stable 1.0.4x version which has been problem free for years. I downloaded the upgrade and for the first time manually uploaded and didn't start from scratch. So far no issues but I have about 20 different screen shots saved if necessary to start from scratch.

Message 11 of 17
Highlighted
Aspirant

ok so you're in the same situation as me. And so far no issues? Well that's always good news. Please let me know.

I've been delaying the update but I know it has to be done, just hoping no future issues come up.

Message 12 of 17
Highlighted
Guide

?

Message 13 of 17
Highlighted
Guide

@xxx4reggie wrote:

ok so you're in the same situation as me. And so far no issues? Well that's always good news. Please let me know.

I've been delaying the update but I know it has to be done, just hoping no future issues come up.

My R7000 works like a charm...

Message 14 of 17
Highlighted
Luminary

Yes so far so good with the manual update and no reset. I still plan to reset in the coming months if I encounter any issues. I have lots of rules and mac filtering so the face the updgrade has gone smooth without the need to reset is a big surprise. I also tested VPN and that worked as well. If you have as much custom settings as I do I would be surprised so go for it.

Message 15 of 17
Highlighted
Luminary

I have never had to factory reset my R7000 after upgrade, but it my settings are "not good" I would. Etsy exactly does "not good" mean? If everything works like before it's that good?
//CD
Message 16 of 17
Highlighted
Guru

@cdysthe wrote:
I have never had to factory reset my R7000 after upgrade, but it my settings are "not good" I would. Etsy exactly does "not good" mean? If everything works like before it's that good?

Some signs that the router might need a reset/reconfiguration:

• the web ui won't let you change some settings
  • some settings have strange values in the ui
  • the router doesn't seem to be using the settings that you configured
  • the router doesn't seem to be working properly

If you aren't seeing issues along that line, then just leave the router alone.

Message 17 of 17