Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Does readyshare even work on the Nighthawk R7000? USB Drive not detected.

Soapstreet
Aspirant

Does readyshare even work on the Nighthawk R7000? USB Drive not detected.

First off. I have at least one usb hard drive that is on the compatibility list.

Windows 10 64bit and newest Netgear R7000 firmware. Cant remember the version. I bought the router about 8-10 months ago and just decided to try out the readyshare and add a NAS.

Ok, so I had 2 different USB 3.0 drives to try out. One was a Western Digital 1TB and the other was the Samsung T1 250GB SSD. I plugged one into the USB 3.0 port on the front and went into windows 10 to enable the file sharing or whatever it's called. Sorry I am at work and can't remember. Once I enabled it I could see my TV's and my R7000 router under "Network" but not the NAS. I went into the router settings under ReadyShare and enabled basic for network and the drive was showing \readyshare\USB_drive with a drive letter of U: showing. When I copy the address and paste it into Windows explorer it will not pull the drive up. I also tried to map the drive but it wasn't detected when I tried. Someone told me I need to share at least one folder for it to show up under "Network" but I don't believe that is correct after testing. When I click "edit" it tells me "No Disk". When I look at the router neither of the 2 usb lights are on. I also tried it in the 2.0 slot. Whats weird is that when I plugged in the usb Samsung SSD the light came on and for whatever reason, I could see the 1TB and the SSD in readyshare on the Netgear UI even without the 1TB plugged in. I clicked edit and shared a random folder on the SSD to see if the guy was right that told me to do it. Then I took the \readyshare address it gave me for the detected SSD and plugged it into windows explorer. NO GO. The PC is basically not detecting the drive that's plugged into the router and sometimes the dang router doesn't even detect it being plugged in. I am beginning to think this is a firmware issue as I am on the newest firmware. Thanks for any input. Hopefully you can understand my frustration.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
Galactica
Aspirant

I got it to work with a 125GB Usb Drive.  

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15

All Replies
clithes
Prodigy

If you have a NAS storage device you should be connecting this by ethernet cable to your router, not usb.  If it is usb only then it is an external hard drive,  not NAS.

Netgear have a compatibility list for hard drives,  which can be found here

Basic rules of thumb is if you would need to install drivers on a pc for your hard drive to work it probably won't work with netgear ready share routers

Message 2 of 15
Soapstreet
Aspirant

I understand that it is not a real "NAS" but hoped you would catch my drift. One of my usb hard drives is on the compatible list and the other is not but they both showed up at some point in the Netgear UI.

Message 3 of 15
clithes
Prodigy

Netgear GUI often recognises the name of the device when looking at attached usb devices, however having read/write access to them is another matter

For the drive that is on the list, once set up what happens on your pc when your browse to //readyshare in windows explorer ?

Do you see USB_Storage?

Message 4 of 15
Soapstreet
Aspirant

No. I have tried to browse to \\readyshare and nothing is detected. Almost as if the drive is unplugged.

Message 5 of 15
Galactica
Aspirant

I tried plugging in a Samsung SSD External Hard Drive and none of the USB lights turn on.  I do not know what the deal is.

Message 6 of 15
sir_bazz
Guide

When accessing the router, whats displayed on your Readyshare Storage page?

Message 7 of 15
Galactica
Aspirant

Nothing.  This was a Samsung self powered 512GB 3.1 USB Drive. A small thing about the size of 1/2 a playing card.  But, when I plugged in a generic 1 mb flash drive it showed up in Readyshare.  I wanted to backup my computers but this may not be the best or fastest way to do this.  I had a 2TB Seagate NAS that went bad.  I am all in now with a WD Dual NAS that is ethernet based with 1 GB of Ram and a 1.3 Mhz Processor.  Thank you!!!

Message 8 of 15
Galactica
Aspirant

I have a Nighthawk R8000.  Sorry for the typo.

Message 9 of 15
JSW1962
Aspirant

I just returned an R6400 router because it wasn't compatible with my PNY flash drive. I purchased an R7000 because the Netgear compatibility list said the PNY would work. It doesn't. The drive I want to use for network storage is a PNY Elite Portable SSD 240GB. I get no connectivity at all with this SSD.  I do have some older, smaller thumb drives (2-4GB range) that work, so the USB ports are not dead.

Has anyone been able to connect an SSD (+/- 250GB) to the R7000 USB Readyshare? What brands/models/sizes really work?

Message 10 of 15
RonnieK
Aspirant

I own a Netgear R6250 and decided to upgrade to the R7000. My R6250 readyshare functions flawlessly for the two usb powered drives I own. But the R7000 will not display them. Have gone into the router configuration and "refreshed" multiple times. It displays the drive, but will not pass thru to the workgroup. Looks like a firmware issue. Works fine on the R6350, so I'm returning the R7000. Not trying to lose capabilities that I had before.

Message 11 of 15
irwinsg
Aspirant

R6700 is not on that list

Message 12 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi irwinsg,

You can use the R7000 list as it has the same list.

Message 13 of 15
Galactica
Aspirant

I got it to work with a 125GB Usb Drive.  

Message 14 of 15
IrvSp
Master

I have the USB 2.0 drive working fine in the USB 2.0 port. Also I had used another USB 3.0 drive in the USB 3.0 port. One is a WD, WD1000H1U (1TB 2,0) and the other a Seagate, SRD00F2 (2TB, 3.0).

The are POWERED drives. Many that use the USB port for power, like the Portable USB drives and some Flash/thumb drives generally do not work.

Oh, the R7000 latest flash, 1.0.7.12 seems to have a bug where the USB LCD indicators DO NOT light.

In Windows, open a COMMAND Prompt (Win key + R) and enter CMD then enter NET VIEW. You should see the Router share (default name is Readyshare) like this:

=========

C:\>net view
Server Name            Remark

------------------------------------
\\IRV8700              Irv's 8700
\\LARAINE-XPS8500
\\READYSHARE           readyshare
The command completed successfully.

==========

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats