Aspirant

Does the Netgear C7800 support 802.1X / RADIUS

I'm looking at buying a new cable modem and/or wi-fi router, but I plan to use RADIUS authentication.  Does the Nighthawk router support RADIUS?  If so, can someone point me to how to set it up?  Thanks.

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: Does the Netgear C7800 support 802.1X / RADIUS

The documentation might be a good start.

There is support for the C7800, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> C7800 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

If you want input from people who have used the C7800 you might get better replies, and find other answers, over in the appropriate section:

Cable Modems & Routers

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 5
Aspirant

I actually read through all of the documentation and it doesn't have anything about WPA2-Enterprise, RADIUS, or 802.1X.  So I guess that means it doesn't support these.

Message 3 of 5
Virtuoso

I personally would never buy a modem+router in one because firmware updates are out of your control (done auto by ISP).  I always get a separate modem (which ISP controls firmware), and router (I control firmware).

The R7800 does allow "WPA/WPA2 Enterprise", and then asks for RADIUS server ip address, server port and shared secret.

Message 4 of 5

@duckware wrote:

I personally would never buy a modem+router in one because firmware updates are out of your control (done auto by ISP).  I always get a separate modem (which ISP controls firmware), and router (I control firmware).

That is the approach that many experienced users take. After all, modems are pretty cheap. Buying two boxes does not save a load of cash.

There are several other reasons for this. One is that modem technology changes less quickly than router technology. After all, modem technology depends on the huge investment that goes into the telecoms infrastructure.

New router technologies seem to come along every three or four years. Do you really want to be struck with today's router technology a decade from now, when the modem may still be chugging on?

Another reason for keeping the two apart is that Netgear, and maybe other makers, seem to put more effort into keeping routers up to date. There are still some Netgear modem/routers missing important changes that reached routers months ago.

One thing to beware, is the use of a modem/router put into modem-only mode. I say this from bitter experience. A modem/router boots less quickly than a simple modem. So the router attached to a "crippled" modem/router may jump the gun and try to get an internet connection before the modem has made its connection. This is a pain if a power cut takes your network down while you are away. You can return to a dead network. That is especially annoying if you are trying to remote connect or you have an on-line security system/.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements