Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Don't update Nighthawk X10 R9000 to Firmware V1.0.4.28 or you'll brick your router.

nickp221
Apprentice

Don't update Nighthawk X10 R9000 to Fireware V1.0.4.28 or you'll brick your router.

Lots of people having problems with this now and should be at the top of the support forum but if you have a Nighthawk X10 R9000 Don't update to Fireware V1.0.4.28 or you'll brick your router.

Best of luck!

/Smash like and reply to keep this thread at the top please!!!

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
Annuvia
Tutor

Re: Don't update Nighthawk X10 R9000 to Firmware V1.0.4.28 or you'll brick your router.

For clarification, please note that V1.0.4.26 does not have the issue of bricking the router. Therefore, factory reset and configuration will work if you have only upgraded to V1.0.4.26. There is no coming back from bricking the router with V1.0.4.28. It will not allow factory reset or downgrade to be applied. You will need to ask for an RMA. Go to https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx and click on "Replace my defective product."

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 20

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Don't update Nighthawk X10 R9000 to Fireware V1.0.4.28 or you'll brick your router.

We have escalated the issue with the latest firmware to our engineers and will let you know when we have an update. 

DarrenM

Message 2 of 20
nickp221
Apprentice

Re: Don't update Nighthawk X10 R9000 to Fireware V1.0.4.28 or you'll brick your router.

Should proabably remove the firmware from availablity and stop sending out emails that a firmware update is available before it creates more victims and more bricked routers*

Message 3 of 20
pixur
Initiate

Yep.  Bricked.  Wish I had seen this 20 minutes ago.

Message 4 of 20
nickp221
Apprentice

I know, it's only logical that people would come here after they already have a problem and not check before but, it doesn't help that they send out an email luring you to update.

Message 5 of 20
Mikekichler
Initiate

Bricked mine also! Any idea on when a fix will be available!?!
Message 6 of 20
nickp221
Apprentice

There is a fix, hook up an old router and get the R9000 RMA'd Smiley Tongue

But seriously, I wouldn't wait on a fix, they still have the 'brick making' firmware available on their website and people are still updating to it eventhough this problem has been identified and is basically catestropic. If I was a NetGear higher-up I'd be like "ffs take the faulty firmware offline until we can fix this before we brick anymore of our products!" and then I'd fire the person who pushed out the update without proper testing. 

I got the impression some people can still use their R9000 and it just won't save settings once it's restarted but myself and some others are having further complications causing the router to be unuseable so if yours works okay, I'd just set it up and hope the power doesn't go out and get an RMA and have a replacement sent out (it will only cost you $17 for NetGear to replace your router that they broke).  But start the RMA process ASAP.

Message 7 of 20
James721
Luminary

There have also been reports of the R7800 losing all configuration and going back to factory default after reboot or power loss on .62 and Voxel .64sf. This don't seem wide spread yet at least for the 7800 but it has been reported on SNB and i believe i saw a thread here also. 

So what the hell is going on with NG are they trying to force people to give up on there products cause thats whats happening. 

Message 8 of 20
nickp221
Apprentice

Bump

Since the problem firmware is still at large.

Message 9 of 20
RajaDaja
Luminary

Well, I'm one of the lucky ones. I waited a couple of days after the firmware was released before I installed it. I have no issues. I have auto-update disabled. I also checked the forum for chatter on the lastest firmware before installing. What a bummer for those of you who are having issues after installing V1.0.4.28. I hope Netgear rectifies this.

Regards

Message 10 of 20
Annuvia
Tutor

Ours updated itself, even with auto-update disabled. So, some customers may have this issue without actually inviting it. The only reason we found out was that the router rebooted in the middle of the night and lost all settings in the process. After several attempts to fix, including several factory resets, we gave up. We have been granted an RMA.

Message 11 of 20
bigblueshock
Guide

I created a new thread on this to find out from Netgear what's going on.  At this point when you get your RMA, I would stick with R7800 1.0.2.60 or R9000 1.0.4.26.

This is not the only forum with complaints.

Message 12 of 20
Mpoffo2
Aspirant

So I made the mistake and updated to this newest firmware.  My router "works" but it has crippled to upstream speeds.  I did a full reset of it but it did not help.  Is there a way to get the prior version of the firmware somewhere?

I found the old firmware on the netgear site but I cannot upload it to the router.  It times out.  Just like trying to get something to my NAS.  How do I RMA or get support for this?  This is not a cheap router and I cannot live with this as is.

Message 13 of 20
Mikekichler
Initiate

I worked with tech support and they were super helpful. We did a factory reset, turned-off auto update, and rebuilt the network with the same names/passwords so everything sync’ed up. However, we used the v.26 instead of the v.28 and it has worked great since.

Message 14 of 20
Annuvia
Tutor

For clarification, please note that V1.0.4.26 does not have the issue of bricking the router. Therefore, factory reset and configuration will work if you have only upgraded to V1.0.4.26. There is no coming back from bricking the router with V1.0.4.28. It will not allow factory reset or downgrade to be applied. You will need to ask for an RMA. Go to https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx and click on "Replace my defective product."

Message 15 of 20
nickp221
Apprentice

Bump

Not solved, the bricking firmware is still available for download and no firmware fix has been published.  

Did you know you can brick your router from anywhere? Remote Management!

http://view.e.netgear.com/?qs=bf332212fc7a06b6fbc8df1cad94a4da18ad7260e443fca04e195d0ad33f6bae19ec1c...

Message 16 of 20
gasstock67
Aspirant

I did the FW update a few days after it was released, and while I have been following along this thread with folks that had the same issues or similiar issues I have found, posst upgrade, I have concerns, and wanted to share my horrifying experience with all.  First, I insured that I had a backup config of my router, which I did about a year ago when I got this router set up and configured.  I was on the .26 FW prior to this update of 10.0.4.28.  I ran the FW update and it seemed odd that it said it completed quicker than I am used to, I then received a message that my router wanted me to manually set it up, or use the setup wizard. Being alarmed by this, I quickly discovered one of my TVs streaming live TV at the time was DOA.  I quickly realized my router config was wiped out!  I was able to restore my saved config properly and get all WiFi networks working as expected.  Then, insured I turned off auto-update, which "was" turned off prior to this update.  While the router says I am on the latest FW now, (1.0.4.28), the QOS database did "not" update as shown in the release notes of the latest FW.  I also cannot manually, or automatically update it.  It simply does nothing.  After reading these posts, I have yielded from rebooting my router from the admin console, and HOPE, that "if" it requires a reboot or I lose power, this router does not wipe out its' config, or becomes a brick.  I am shocked that NetGear has NOT released a bulletin of known problems, or adequately updated this posting of threads.  I sure hope "when" they release the next FW update, that it works, takes away my concerns, and the QOS DB updates accordingly.  Incidentally, my 1-year warranty ran out less than a week after I performed the update.  Lovely.

Message 17 of 20
kc6108
Luminary

I too have been following this thread. However, I have not run into any issues at all.

I had Voxel's firmware (1.0.4.27HF-HW) loaded when I performed the update to 1.0.4.28. I reset the router to factory default settings before AND after the update.

I would still be on 1.0.4.28 right now, but I upgraded to Voxel's latest release (1.0.4.29HF-HW) a few days ago.

Both versions of firmware have been rock solid, but I've haven't had either loaded for more than a week or so.

Message 18 of 20
kc6108
Luminary

... knock on wood Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 20
kc6108
Luminary

FYI, I have never backed up my router's configuration, nor trusted the restore process. I have never upgraded my router's firmware without restoring factory defaults beforehand.

I type up all the configuration changes I make to the router into a text file so I can re-enter them after every firmware upgrade.

I have done this for years with every router I have ever owned.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7