Re: Dont buy R7000

Monalrules
Star

Dont buy R7000

I think Netgear screwed up R7000, i bought bcoz of its highest throughput among all the routers but suddenly issues arises, 

1)On 5ghz band not more than 10mbps in DL speed but UL working normally and 2.4 i'm getting full 50/50 DL/UL speed.

2)frequent LAG while playing online i have checked its the r7000 which lags my cisco works great.

3)i tried all the firmwares but same issues.

Anyone having same issues? i got replacement but still same issue with that.L2 team did troubleshooting but they can't find anything they say they are working on issue and will let me know.

PLEASE DO NOT BUY NETGEAR PRODUCTS.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 38
TheEther
Guru

My 2 year old R7000 is running fine on Gigabit Internet service.  It wasn't always that way.  Some of the early firmware versions were terrible.  And some of the recent ones were buggy, too, so it's a been a real roller coaster for the R7000.  But there are stable versions (IMO, 1.0.4.28 and 1.0.4.30 were the best).  I hear that the 1.0.5.70 may be ok, but I'm running 3rd party firmware, now, so I wouldn't know.

Anyway, the point is that there's nothing wrong with the hardware design.  It's not perfect (e.g. turning on certain features will disable hardware acceleration, which can cause a noticeable performance drop at higher speeds), but it should work fine for the vast majority of users.  

You didn't specify what features you enabled and whether you tried different Wi-Fi channels.  Also, if you didn't do a factory reset after installing firmware, then that could have led to problems.

Netgear may not be the poster-child of quality and support, but some of their products do actually work.  It's getting a little long in the tooth but the R7000 still gets my endorsement as a product that hits the sweet spot of bang-for-the-buck Wi-Fi routers.

Message 2 of 38
VE6CGX
Master

OP, speak for yourself. R7000 is good router. Works very well with many 3rd party choice firmwares in experienced hands. Reminds me of old saying, "Poor craftsman always complain about his tools" I play in a local concert band. There is a young guy who has GOOD brand name

horn but instead of practicing to improve his tone and skills, he always complains his horn is not good enough"  There are many guys driving

fancy cars on the road. They don't even know how to handle it.. What is the point of spending lot of money buying a car like that if that is the case?

Message 3 of 38
microchip8
Master

I have to agree with the two previous posters. I own the R7000 and it has absolutely been very reliable. The only issue I had with was the stock firmware, which I soon after replaced by a third-party one

I'm not suggesting to the OP to now suddenly go flash third-party firmware but to first do a full factory reset and MANUALLY re-enter his settings. Prior to that to search on this forum for reports of potential firmware versions with issues and to avoid them.

Aslo, don't rush installing the latest greates version of firmware whenever it gets released. First see if it has something fixed or added you need and look out on the forums for reports of possible issues. Only then install it, if needed/wanted. Latest greates doesn't mean it comes with everything fixed and it does happens that new inssues are introduced. NETGEAR had to already twice pull back firmware for the R7000 due to found issues after release.

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.89SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 4 of 38
Monalrules
Star

I already told that netgear screwed with firmware in the case of R7000 also i tried everything by my self also L2 support remotely checked everything but even they dont have the solution.also i dont want to use third party firmware on it.the thing is that after spending that much amount of money users should not have to be faced such issues.

I KNOW ITS THE BEST ROUTER THATS WHY I PURCHASED IT BUT STILL I'LL NOT ADVISE ANYONE TO BUY NETGEAR ROUTERS.

Message 5 of 38
microchip8
Master

@Monalrules

seems like yours is an isolated problem. Saying to people not to buy NETGEAR routers in general because you have an isolated problem is not the right thing to do. This can happen on any other brand, be it ASUS or Linksys or D-Link or TP-Link etc. I speak from experience with all the major router brands and different firmware across them

For example, on latest ASUS firmware, it drains my Galaxy J5 battery and there's no way to fix it but others who don't use Samsung phones don't have this problem. Am I now supposed to run around and tell others how much ASUS sucks? No, because I know these things happen and they usually get fixed. I also lost 2 ASUS routers due to overheating and while I agree they run hotter than the concuration and consume more power as well, I'll still recommend them based on need.

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 6 of 38
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Mine works!

Message 7 of 38
VE6CGX
Master

Mine worked to my satisfaction too. What is the reason not interested in 3rd pary fw? To me most complaints are from ones who don't have sound networking knowledge. . Late f/w flip-flop was unfortunate but some folks try to blame every thing on f/w when things are not working well. Try another brand router and let's see how well it works. Alas! no Genie with other brands.

Message 8 of 38
at0o0o
Aspirant

Which 3rd party f/w do you suggest using? I'm having the same problem as the OP. This has got to be the buggiest router I have ever bought. I never thought I'd have to resort to using a 3rd party f/w, but the official f/w makes this pretty unreliable when it comes to gaming and streaming videos. Also, do I use the same method as flashing and official f/w?

Message 9 of 38
Babsy
Aspirant

My R7000 is working just fine. I've had it for a year and a half now. The only reason I'm here is that I received an e-mail saying I have to "enable the password recovery and disable remote management". I'm 77 years old (female) and have had MACs since 1984. At this point I don't want to have to start fooling around with changes. I don't know what version firmware I have. I did not upgrade it when I received an e-mail saying the new one was available. I don't even want to go there.

If I do nothing, what are the consequences?

Message 10 of 38
VE6CGX
Master

For me most imprtant for a router is stability and some feature I need. Most important is stability. Try them all and pick one you like. Regarding

moving between different flavor f/w, there is instructions for that. Not a rocket science. If you ever brick the router be prepared to debrick it

with your learned know-how. Needed information is out there always. Just remember if you ask smart question there will be smart answers.

No one will be interested in a question like 'my router bricked, help me'  Or if you are not adveturous... it's all upto you.

Message 11 of 38
at0o0o
Aspirant

If your router is working with no problems, I'd suggest just leaving it the way it is. Many users have had complaints when upgrading to a new firmware. 

Message 12 of 38
VE6CGX
Master

Hi,

We're almost same agewise. But I always think age is state of mind. I don't care about chronological age, I care about biological age, LOL!

You're absolutely right, when router is running fine to your satisfaction, leave it alone.  It'll just run and run like any other appliances in our house. Electronics equipment could die due to old age, or lightning can kill it. But other than that who cares? In my case, as a retired PE

who spent all my career in the related field, I still like to tinker with things. Now it's not easy to solder delicate components, read fine print

schematics but still I have to do something not just sitting around. I tender our yard full of annuals, perennials, fruit trees, vege. garden.

I play my horn once a week at local concert band. I walk my dog twice a day. Busier than my working days, LOL!

Message 13 of 38
microchip8
Master

@at0o0o

the best 3rd-party FW for the R7000 is Tomato Shibby. Why? it's the only firmware that supports Gbps speeds if you have such connection due to it supporting CTF. All other 3rd-party FW like DD-WRT and OpenWRT do not support CTF so if you have more than 300 Mbps speed, you will not be able to utilize it

As for flashing, below is a very simple instruction

1) Make sure you're on stock NETGEAR firmware

2) Resent the NETGEAR firmware to default

3) Flash the R7000 initial Tomato firmware file

4) If 3) is successful, flash the complete Tomato firmware and enable "Erase NVRAM data" option and reboot router after that

Message 14 of 38
TheEther
Guru

Correction. Asuswrt-Merlin also supports CTF, as well as FA.

Message 15 of 38
microchip8
Master

XWRT Vortex (mod of ASUSWRT-Merlin) is not open source. The guy does it all behind closed doors and violates the license. I don't really care for that but I was specifically speaking about open source firmware

Message 16 of 38
cdysthe
Luminary

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but it would be great with a list of third party firmwares that can be run on the r7000. Anyone?

//CD
Message 17 of 38
cdysthe
Luminary

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but it would be great with a list of third party firmwares that can be run on the r7000. Anyone?

//CD
Message 18 of 38
VE6CGX
Master

Forementioned I think.

Message 19 of 38
TheEther
Guru

I already provided the link to Asuswrt-Merlin, but providing it once again.  You can find links to DD-WRT and Tomato by going to http://www.myopenrouter.com/download and choosing R7000.  Finally, there is Advanced Tomato.  Have fun.

Message 20 of 38
Monalrules
Star

Can you tell me the stability of the stock as well as custome firmware!! any affect on online gaming lag?

Message 21 of 38
Monalrules
Star

I know it was thats why i bought it..Look i have tried everything by myself but no luck and at last netgear L2 support did everything still they dont have the solution so according to your  saying netgear support is Poor craftsman.

So kindly if you dont know the whole topic and dont want to support users having issues shut your mouth.

Message 22 of 38
Monalrules
Star

It is not only my problem people around the world having same issues and you can find out many on our forum itself.my point is that after L2 team tried everything if they dont have solution they should refund the money, we have paid premium amount on r7000 and we are not getting support at all worst support.i already replaced onece still same issue.

SO IM STILL ON MY STANDS DONT BUY NETGEAR PRODUCTS.

Message 23 of 38
cdysthe
Luminary

I do not see any of the problems OP describes. My R7000 took over from an older ASUS router which I had more problems with than the R7000. I have found that mostly such problems are either hardware related either the router itself or clients conncting to it. Messed up configs is another reason. The R7000 is a fine piece of router hardware with many of the same parts, such as the radios, you'll find in most other routers in the price range. You can ever run Merlin's ASUS firmwarre on the Netgear. Yes, some of the Netgear fw releases have been shaky, but at this point it all works very well for me with the latest beta release. I only wish the firmware was organized better so that it was easy to know what is the latest stable and beta. That is a bit messy to figure out even for me who has been here for a whle. 

Anyhow, I find it kinda infantile to come here launching a vendetta against Netgear because it doesn't work the way OP thinks it should. I've seen these kinds of posts in most forums for hardware like printers, cameras, routers etc. There will always be those who let off steam by posting angry "Don't ever buy......" posts. So I guess we'll have to live with it here also.

//CD
Message 24 of 38
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Ideally the forum would have a filter to filter out these special needs folks. Read a post, if written by ______ click ignore and that post wouldn't show up.

Message 25 of 38
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 37 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E