Double AC1900 Routers or AC1900 Router + Extender?

ignacioprea
Novice

Double AC1900 Routers or AC1900 Router + Extender?

Hello guys, I am about to buy this router and was wondering what was more convenient? To buy 2 AC1900 routers and set them up in different places of my house, or buy an AC1900 router along with an AC1900 extender?

My house is rather big vertically, it has three floors and the walls are quite big. Do you think that by having the router on the first floor, and the other router/extender on the second floor i would have wifi on the entire place? Which option is better? Thank you very much!
Message 1 of 8
JoBa
Onlooker

Re: Double AC1900 Routers or AC1900 Router + Extender?

I would buy two R7000's. That way if you change your setup you have two WiFi Routers for just a few bucks more. Plus you have some redundancy if the main router goes down; you have second router as backup! I don't have any experience with the AC1900 extender so I am not sure what features are lacking compared to a AC1900 Router.

Josh
Message 2 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

While the extender doesn't require a cable they are very problematic using a second router in AP mode would be best, but it does require a cable.
Message 3 of 8
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Another viable, and perhaps cheaper option might be Powerline products;

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/powerline/
ignacioprea
Novice

Sorry I forgot to mention that the router on the second floor would be connected to a Power Source, not a Ethernet cable with Internet.

I only have an Internet cable on the first floor, so the second router would act as a repeater. My question is: What is more powerful as a repeater, the router or the repeater itself? Thanks for the replies!
Message 5 of 8
ignacioprea
Novice

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I only have an Ethernet cable with Internet on the first floor.

The second router on the second floor would be connected only to a power source.

Therefore, it would act as a repeater. The question is: what is better as a repeater, the router itself or the extender? Thanks for the replies!
Message 6 of 8
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Don't know if you understand what powerline networking is. You'd plug a powerline network adapter directly into an AC wall socket by your router, then plug a second powerline network adapter directly into an AC wall socket near your Access Point (a router). Then connect the powerline networking adapter at your main router into a LAN port on your router, and connect the powerline networking adapter at the Access Point into the Access Point. So you're using the power lines to carry your ethernet instead of using a direct ethernet cable connection. In general, that will be slower than using a direct cable, but should be okay for streaming, and should be more reliable than using a wireless extender.

Anyways, I wasn't sure from your replies that you knew what powerline networking is. You can also read about it at a web site like smallnetbuilder.com. There's even a forum there where you can ask questions about powerline networking.
Message 7 of 8
HiSpeed
Guide

Ignacioprea,

If you want to do a wireless bridge/repeater with a router don't buy a Netgear as second router but a TP-Link.

TP-Link uses a more powerful "WDS bridge" fonctionnality than Netgear...

● Netgear R7000 (Root Router)
● TP-Link Archer C7 v2 (WDS Bridge)

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E