Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Double Nat R7000 and n450

LadyLegend
Aspirant

Double Nat R7000 and n450

I am computer literate, however, network illiterate. I'm going to explain my issue as best and simply as possible.

I have the following devices and the following attached to said devices:

Comcast Internet>

>Netgear N450 modem
     >connected to>
          >Netgear R7000 Router >connected to> 2 external 8gb hdd via usb & Readyshare
               >Multiple wifi devices
               >PC Hardwired

So there's 2 issues I'm having:

1) When I try to remote in using a program (Plex) I get errors saying I have a double Nat, I've tried several solutions to fix that via google and none of them worked causing me to have to reset both devices to factory settings to get them to work.

I've tried the solution posted here, but it caused nothing to work.

https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT

I also tried their suggestions and they didn't work either.

2) When using a VPN all devices attached to the router via wifi and the 2 external HDD are not available. I sometimes need to reboot the router to get the devices back online.

You can talk to me like I'm stupid because admittingly I am when it comes to this.  Not sure if the issues are related or not.

Thanks so much for reading, and assisting if you choose to do so.

Have a great day!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
myersw
Master

Re: Double Nat R7000 and n450

if the Netgear N450 modem/router is still acting as a router then the r7000 should be configured as an AP. Unless the N450 is configured as bridge only it is also a router so connecting the r7000 as a router causes the double nat. So either change the N450 to bridge or change the r7000 to AP. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
myersw
Master

if the Netgear N450 modem/router is still acting as a router then the r7000 should be configured as an AP. Unless the N450 is configured as bridge only it is also a router so connecting the r7000 as a router causes the double nat. So either change the N450 to bridge or change the r7000 to AP. 

Message 2 of 9

@LadyLegend wrote:

>Netgear N450 modem

Yes, but which N450? N450  is a speed designator, not a Netgear model number. It just tells us that you have a now slightly old device with yesterday's wifi technology.

CG3000Dv2? That's the only "modem", or Gateway, with that label.

Message 3 of 9
LadyLegend
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@LadyLegend wrote:

>Netgear N450 modem

CG3000Dv2?

Yes. that is the correct model of modem I have.  Sorry about that.

Message 4 of 9

That is a router. So heed the words of @myersw.

I see no built-in "modem only" mode for this device. So using the R7000 in AP mode may get rid of the "double NAT" issue.

Posting in the appropriate section might also yield better advice:

Cable Modems & Routers - NETGEAR Communities

Message 5 of 9
HiSpeed
Guide

Hi,

It is possible to cascade 2 NAT routers but, to work properly, the first needs a DMZ to second, and a firewall off...

Message 6 of 9
myersw
Master

@HiSpeed wrote:

Hi,

It is possible to cascade 2 NAT routers but, to work properly, the first needs a DMZ to second, and a firewall off...

What is needed is for the one to be an AP. That basicly sets fiirewall off, but only part of the puzzle. Also need to get the dhcp from the DMZ router and also point at it for DNS lookups. Easier to just set to AP mode and let the firmware handle things. Have done what you are suggesting, I think, on DD-WRT, but see no reason to muck around when there is a setting. 

Message 7 of 9

@HiSpeed wrote:

Hi,

Yes, but why bother when there are easier options?

Message 8 of 9
HiSpeed
Guide

@michaelkenward wrote:

Yes, but why bother when there are easier options?

In France, the (first) modem-router is generally provided by the ISP (named Box) because of VoIP and IPTV capabilities not existing into commercial modem-routers.

Often these Boxes can't be bridged, obliging a double NAT if a powerful commercial router is used for other reasons (better network control, better wifi, etc.)...

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7