Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Download Level

Johnnybeach
Aspirant

Download Level

My internet speeds on my computer is 230.5 Down and 11.5 Up and on the other computer receiving the internet from the router the speeds are 6.1 Down and 7.2 Up.  Could the newer routers, such as the Nighthawks, improve on the download speeds?  There is a large descrepency between download speed of the main computer and the download speed from the router.  I want to get the most out of my system.  I have Spectrum 200/200.

There is a distance of about twelve feet from the router to the USB Adapter and then another sixteen feet of USB cable to the computer.  I suppose, in theory, I could have the USB Adapter at the computer without using a cable?  The way I have it eliminates a long wall.

Thanks for any advice,

Johnnybeach

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 1 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Re: Download Level

From the nominal numbers of the R6300v2 - an 802.11ac device, AC1750, with 450+1300 Mbps - your router is perfectly sufficient for the 200/200 contract, even if considering an overhead loss of 50%.

@Johnnybeach wrote:

My internet speeds on my computer is 230.5 Down and 11.5 Up

Uplink looks a little bit low here.

@Johnnybeach wrote:

the other computer receiving the internet from the router the speeds are 6.1 Down and 7.2 Up.

What kind of wireless client is in place there? Make and model of the USB stick on that long USB cable? Is this a decent computer?

I feel there is more head room on the wireless clients than on the router side.

Message 2 of 10
Johnnybeach
Aspirant

My USB wireless adapter is an Encore 802.11n.  Maybe it is outdated?  Should I re-run the CD that came with or shop for another adapter?  I'm OK with the router but was a bit unsure.  I'd like to pump up the low numbers (ie: 11.5) with out having to buy something else. 

Johnnybeach

Message 3 of 10
Johnnybeach
Aspirant

I reinstalled the Encore software but no change in speeds and that led me to think about a PCI or PCIe card.  Would that be a more powerful design?

Johnnybeach

Message 4 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Considering the short distances especially for the second computer - is WiFi required or wouldn't simple network cable do a much better job?
Message 5 of 10
Johnnybeach
Aspirant

Ideally, it would be the best I suppose.  Hook one end to the computer and the other end...to where?  I've thought of that before but crawling under the house is no fun.  Must drill holes through the floor.  I've been looking at PCIe wireless adapter cards and I might go that direction.  I'll put the USB adapter directly into the computer to see what level of signal I get as a test.  I really want to have a wireless router because guest might want to use a laptop and my car has Sony Sync3 that uses wifi.

Johnnybeach

Message 6 of 10
Johnnybeach
Aspirant

I've gone USB 3.0!  I bought a 3.0 wireless USB wifi adapter along with a USB 3.0 cable.  The 2.0 aspect may very well be the bottleneck.  I'll know by the end of next week.  This is the only way out.  I didn't want something with antennas and I had to have a cable to streach out to receive the signals from the router.  The router is on one side of the wall and the computer is on the other side 20' away so it looked like a solid wall for the signals to go through.  Anything connected directly to the computer woud not get much signal at all.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 

Johnnybeach

Message 7 of 10
Johnnybeach
Aspirant

Hook one end to the computer and the other end...to where?

Do I connect the ethernet cable to the router LAN and then to the computer that is about 25ft away?  A Cat 7 cable is cheap.  I can go under the house for a major project.  I've been there lots of times.  It would be the better results than a USB adapter and USB cable.  I just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Johnnybeach

Message 8 of 10
Johnnybeach
Aspirant

I had my choice of ethernet cable or upgrading to USB 3.0 cable and I went with the USB 3.0 cable and it brought me speeds over 6X faster than the USB 2.0 cable.  My speed went up from 6.1 Mbps download to 38-44 Mbps.  I think that is probably fast enough.  I tried a new 3.0 AC adapter and the speeds shot up to about 94 Mbps.  I had trouble with it.  In routerlogin/wireless I had both 2GHz and 5GHz checked and that might have been a mistake.  Then, I took the adapter out of the USB cable and it came apart and I'm semding it back for a refund and they said I could keep it anyway so I have to call the post office and tell them to stop delivery and return it to me.  Next time I'll uncheck the 2GHz and use only the 5GHZ because 2GHz doesn't use AC only 5GHZ does.  Using both 2GHZ and 5GHz at the same time crashed my network.

I didn't want to use the ethernet cable because that would mean I would have to crawl under the house, drill holes in the floor, move clothes out of the closet and vacumn.

I'll get back to the forum with any further developments.

Johnnybeach

Model: R6300v1|Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Router - 802.11ac
Message 9 of 10
Johnnybeach
Aspirant

I didn't want to use the ethernet cable because that would mean I would have to crawl under the house, drill holes in the floor, move clothes out of the closet and vacumn.

Well, after buying two USB WiFi adapters and sending them back I decided to go with an ethernet cable after all.  One adapter broke in two and the other adapter stopped working.  I am now getting 235 Mbps just like my other computer.  I only need 20 Mbps to run video from Youtube I believe.  Spectrum delivers 200 Mbps or therabouts.  The crawling under the house was not too bad.  I've done it lots of times.  Thanks for all the help.  My next project is to find a mini pc that I can put in the kitchen or on the piano for online lessions.

Johnnybeach

Model: R6300v1|Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Router - 802.11ac
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7